So, this guy I know...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those couple dump truck loads you're getting should give you a nice buffer for any crappy weather we're in store for this winter! Never been fortunate enough to get wood dropped off at my place, but if I did, I'd probably be doing somersaults all over the yard. Congrats man.

be our luck for a brown mild winter, i hope we get that i got tired of my pipes freezing.
wood supply shouldn't be a problem this year after 1/3 of the forum got there a$$ handed to them last winter.

Spidey just admit to us you got lazy and are BUYING your wood now:laugh:

I can promise you that if I did ever "BUY" firewood (slim chance... but, never-say-never), I'd "PAY" for the whole-nine-yards... meaning cut, split, delivered and stacked in my basement next to the furnace ‼ But I'm not above trading the guy a few beers for his generosity... and a steak grilled over the fire pit with all the fixin's. I may be cheap... errr... frugal, but I ain't an unappreciative azz ‼ :)

Plus you get to drink too, and also have a nice steak. Win win. Or real appreciation would be to let him have the steak and the beer while you have tofu burger and water. Or some other cheap gross thing.

I am Happy for you Spidey. Not that you were fretting it but it is always nice to be blessed. There is great satisfaction in burning your own wood that you've worked up yourself but when your gifted wood like that I am sure you'll have a smile on your face this winter from that as well. Makes me think the world and some of the people in it don't suck as much as we sometimes get to believing.

Just because one man's trash is another man's treasure, does not mean people don't suck.

True, but the guy could have just dumped it anywhere or given it to someone else. He gave it to Spidey:) You certainly may be right, but I chose to see the glass half full. Based on the previous posts, Spidey is the one who sucks:)

ya got that right.

P.s your sig could be taken in a whole nother way. But I won't go there.

I've been on the receiving side of a similar situation and it's a wonderful gift. Happy for you.

You know, this happy luck has a familiar ring to it...didn't a certain stove just kinda fall into your lap for free too? And we all know how that turned out! You check this wood for termites...PI...black powder loads...anthrax?! :buttkick: :laugh:

I started splittin' the free wood yesterday morning.
I normally avoid making firewood in August... but, the morning was cool and I was a bit curious how dry the stuff was.

Spltn1.JPG

After splittin' the fist load and standing back a bit, I couldn't see a reduction in pile size... in fact, it was starting to look bigger‼

Spltn2.JPG

Just as I'd hoped, this stuff was dry, dry, dry, bone dry. A couple of rounds must have been on the bottom of the pile, had mud on them and were a little wet on the inside... I split those a bit smaller and tossed 'em in. I know it's a bit early to start movin' firewood in the house... but this stuff is ready for the firebox, I couldn't come up with any rational for handling it any more than necessary. So it went directly in the basement‼

Spltn3.JPG Spltn4.JPG

I got the first load stacked and stowed in the old coal storage room and decided to split a second load. After a couple loads I've got a pretty good idea what's in the stack... it follows right in-line with the make-up of our wooded river-bottoms.
Most of it (guessin' 60%) is 50/50 elm and ash.
Next comes hard maple (maybe 20%), which sadly should have been split last year because it's started to "go punky"... still very usable, just not a great as it could have been.
The remaining 20% or so is a hodge-podge of a little of everything... including... some... Box Elder. I was gonna' cull it... but... well... I've always said the only way I'd burn Box Elder is if it was free, cut, split, delivered, and stacked in the basement next to the firebox. OK, call me a liar, I figgured 3-out'a-5 was close enough.

Spltn5.JPG

I think I'm actually seeing a small reduction in pile size... or is that just wishful thinkin??

Spltn6.JPG

The day was heatin'-up by the time I got that stowed-away in the basement... and the neighbor stopped with a couple beers in his hands. He was trying to put some new bamboo flooring in and was having trouble with the nailer... so, I spent the rest of the day installing bamboo flooring. Hey, at least the house was air-conditioned :D

I like how you've got the shooting range in the background on the last picture. What is that? 50 and 100 yard targets back there? Nice work on that woodpile by the way.

I like how you've got the shooting range in the background on the last picture. What is that? 50 and 100 yard targets back there?

1.jpg

...calls me just before lunch time today and asks I I have any use for some firewood??
Well, heck yeah I do.
He asks If I go home for lunch??
Well, I sure can if ya' need me to.
He tells me he has a load of firewood and don't want to dump it in the wrong place.
I've known this guy for years and do business with him... he owns the shop that services our work vehicles, and I do his business-band two-way radio work.
So I head on home and find my gloves... 'cause I'm figgurin' he's wantin' help unloading.
And this is what pulls in my yard‼

View attachment 362391 View attachment 362392 View attachment 362393

So he tells me the stuff was cut and piled spring of 2013... should be good to go this year if'n I get it split pretty soon. Says he has somewhere in he neighborhood of 1½ more loads if'n I'm interested (seems some guy took on the job of clearing some river property for the firewood, disappeared and never returned). He tells me he's just lookin' for a place to get rid of it.
Heck, I told him to bring it on‼

I gave it a quick look-over; appears to be mostly elm with maple, oak and walnut mixed in... I didn't see one stick of Box Elder (but I haven't sorted through it either).
All cut to length... ready to be split and burned‼
I offered him a beer... said he'd take a rain-check, smiled, and drove away.
Wow!! Mana from Heaven!! Unreal!! You must be living right!!

Latest posts

Back