So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Husky372
if you dont like loggers i sure hope you dont use TP or live in a wood house or read any kind of books magizenes news paper or use any of the medicines that come from trees or the other thousand uses.. you hippocriticale sob

It's not that I don't like what loggers do, I just don't like loggers.:)

They drink excessively, do things to their saws that make them loud and fast, they make their living cutting down the biggest, oldest, and healthiest trees they can find, they wear womens clothing at night, and they are loud and abrasive.
Other than that they are ok.

i dont drink or wear womens cloths but i do have ported saws. cutting down the oldest trees sometimes sometimes not all depends on what the job calls for. as for bieng load and abrasive your decribing yourself.
so in reality your a hippocrite you want to benifit from what a logger does but then not like how he does it. suppose you think meat really does come in styrofoam & cellophane like meat but hate the farmer. go hug a tree.

I like the idea of cutting wood grown for lumber and pulp use. It is upsetting though to have ancient forests decimated to make some cheap ass veneer plywood.
Do we really need to destroy the last remaining giant redwoods so we can have pretty lawn furniture?
And another thing, why do you keep bringing up my lifetime membership in PETA?

i dont know if you know this or not but redwoods are only in the northwest so whats your beef with the loggers elsewhere. becuase i will tell you this there are no old growth forest around here. it's all been cut over several times.

around here it was cleared to make fields/farms. your right theres money in them there trees. you make your $ from them your way and i'll make mine in my way. there are times when i'm in the woods i wonder what the woods looked like 300 years ago but there are more animales here now than when it was old growth. so i quess theres good and bad to everything.

Before Indiana was white-manned (about 1800), ground cover was about 85% hardwood forests.  Around 1900 it was down to about 7%.  It's now back up to 20%.  According to a book published this spring.

Glen

Originally posted by netree
You're just another tree murderer. Just like the rest of us.
:D
Erik, we all remove some of em, sure. But arborists also work to keep them growing, too. And all joshing aside, I'm sure your business includes arboriculture and not just removals. Speaking of joshing, I'm amazed you all take Mike seriously. Your leg's pulled so hard, your hip must be dislocated.

Actually, removals account for about 70 percent of my business.

Another 20 percent is pruning...

and the last 10 percent is everything else.

Just the market 'round here, I guess.

around here for every one you kill 100 more grow in its place. so i am not that worried about it. new hampshire was all cut over but at present it is 84% forested. not good farm country but great timber country.

You through doing your big deal TDs and fighting, OK, then II'll submit.

There I was reaching high up into the canopy while lying back down on a tarp. A Japanica Maple overhead snipping a way with my tiny tool, having the pieces fall on my chest.

I screemed out laud and clear to others working around me, "Wher's my ground crew, dang brush pile is getting enormious!?".

A day in the trees,
Jack

'Just the market 'round here, I guess."

Sounds more like the company's setup dictating what services it sells. There is a market everywhere for diagnostics and preservation work, but if you have crews and eqpt oriented to removals, that's what you sell.

No harm in that; preservation may be higher expense and lower profit for a big company to tack on. Unless the right personnel are available.

Technical pruning can bring a profit; I cleared >$900 after labor today doing mostly reduction and clearance pruning, in less than 6 hrs. But other decay and PHC and fert and planting work on the same job to be done in Oct will be billed at a good rate.

It's all good. :)

IME, TD's are where the bucks are, around here. People don't wanna pay what it takes to perform a quality trim.
Trees grow like weeds in Louisiana.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
IME, TD's are where the bucks are, around here. People don't wanna pay what it takes to perform a quality trim.
Trees grow like weeds in Louisiana.
same here MB thats why netree does what he does.

Ahhhhgg, you guys just love to do TDs, work shows up where you want to spend your time.

I do not like to do trees that I don't climb. And that is the way it is this week. Yuk, I'm good at the specialty pruning and in my heart I'd rather be climbing.

We all do what ever, and ..., who knows.

Jack

Originally posted by jkrueger
work shows up where you want to spend your time.

Exactly right, Jack, but in all fairness it's easier for a 1 person operation to diversify into specialties than a larger co. That said, there are many big co,'s that emphasize care over cutting, and they're doing quite well. :cool:

I'm good at the specialty pruning and in my heart I'd rather be climbing.
I'd be happy to do 50% of my pruning with Felcos, but it's harder to bill the good rate when you're on the ground, right? So is it the love of getting high (climbing, that is), or $ that turns you on?

I suspect a bit of both.;)

Back