So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by aussie_lopa
so how are the arms today glen?:p did TM rip,rip wood chip?
Like I said, I can't say anything specific...&nbsp; Other than the time wasted on me, he was quite productive.&nbsp; He <i>was</i> jazzed about his new Gomboy 360, and he did eventually get a good each 75' and 80' shot with his BS.

My arms, legs, back, etc. are all okay.&nbsp; It was maybe a little more work than I'm used to lately, but not terribly much.&nbsp; I didn't really do anything though, but watch; maybe snap off a few dead twigs here and there.&nbsp; I wasn't carrying much in the way of goodies on my belt, either.&nbsp; He toted up a 346 and 12' of pole pruner.

It was my second-ever ascent.&nbsp; The first was about 30' about a week and a half ago.&nbsp; I could only find one of my pair of gloves with grippies on them and none of the others were suitable, so I bare-handed the left hand.&nbsp; When I got down I saw I had a hole in the middle pad of my middle finger.&nbsp; Oops.&nbsp; Today I wore a full pair; no problems.

Jim lent me a double ascender (looks like the Kong in a catalog right now) which helped a bit.&nbsp; Getting by a couple of lower limbs was easier for me with it where I could alternate pulling single ropes and inching myself (the ascender) past them.

Knock wood, but I think in-tree work will be something I can handle.

Glen

glens,do you think you might fast track in to this work? or just ease into it?just curious before i offer any opinions:p

Maybe a bit faster than would be prudent.

I love to learn stuff.&nbsp; And sorting through the info for what sounds good to me is fun; so fire away.&nbsp; Here, new thread, or private (but that won't get you flamed for some of the stuff you might say, so what fun would <i>that</i> be?), as you wish.

Glen

i would start you on an english prussic,new england hi-v,basic harness,no spurs and make you limb walk the first day from say 30'out to touch a flag then the rest would be up to you.but you should leave the spikes alone untill your happy enough with where your at.imhumbleo;)

I picked up a 5/16&times;51" Ultra Tech Prusik cord, the Weaver single floating D wideback saddle (individual leg straps), 150' of 1/2" Blue Streak (and 150' of 1/2" Safety Blue 3-strand, just for kicks and utility).&nbsp; I haven't even considered spurs yet and am in no hurry to.

I didn't get any flags...

I do know I'll be needing some suitable footwear straightaway.

Glen

Because I saw a saddle with a floater and liked the idea.&nbsp; It seems like it would be a good way to approximate a goat's rolling hips when on uneven terrain.&nbsp; I picked up a couple Petzl Am'd and a William with the ball locks, and a Kong steel shaped like the Wllm.&nbsp; Also, one of the nylon rollers for a smoother float with a 'biner (liked that idea too).&nbsp; My lanyard has got the Prusik loop adjuster and no steel core; I'll get one before I start up with a power saw.

Today was sweet.

I got to do something I rarely get to do... throw big trees. :D
They were two big pines on some obscure country road. The job was for the state. All I had to do was chunk em, and cut the trunk one time.
A state trackhoe and a dozen work-release inmates were there to clean it up. The biggest went over nice as could be. The 2nd needed a little wedge work, but she made a big splash. The hardest part was cutting em at five feet. They were in a fencerow.

Don't know when I'll get to do that again!:p

Those pines looked like fun! I got to try the rake handle trick for moving big chunks. Think smaller dowels would be easier, and not require stacked wedges to get them in. And my wife says poplars make me smell like cow poop.

ytou would have loved dropping them butch,hope you tangled them up for the inmates;)

This is a couple of jobs we did last week, on the first job they had a large limb removed about a month ago, they had two arborist evaluate the tree both said the tree was safe and both gave it to him in writing.
We used a 40 ton crane, you can see the decay in the log on the trailer, and where the roots broke

two arborist evaluate the tree both said the tree was safe and both gave it to him in writing."

Both of them forgot to check the buttressroots it seems. One whack with a rubber hammer may have shown they were punky. Those 2 arborists? (Do you know? I've heard lawn mowers who give tree advice called "arborists") better be ready for a conversation with the insurance people; and a talk with a lawyer too.

Glad no one was hurt; pure luck.

Can somebody direct me to the thread that had numerous sites on tree id? I tried searching but failed.

Theres <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=14568" target="_blank">this thread</a>

<a href="http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/wwwmain.html" target="_blank">This site</a> is quite good.

Glen

Back