So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pruned some of the jungle here at my friend's here in Wilmington, DE, this morning, then we went to Delaware Park for a picnic lunch; I came out $30 ahead at the slots. Went to a ball game for one of the kids that got rained out by a deluge, and then took them all out to dinner. I am taking the train to New York tomorrow for a day of tourist stuff.

arafat04.jpg

Sorry, can't find the red racing model;)

only boring crap today,removed 2 old cherry trees,ground stumps,1 small prunus remove.trimmed a 30ft long cypress hedge with ht 75..........hmmm i feel like a climb....got no big trees to do:(

hey rocky, how bout some of those florida trees some fine pruning shots would be good to see.gettin out the ends is harder than any big climb.

Hey
Lite day and I loved it!!!
Removed a 45' Popular
Lifted it out with the Hiab and left the wood
Then we planted 6 Autumn Blaze Silver Maples 50mm
Put them in with the Hiab!
Man do I love that truck!
John

TD'd two blue spruce, 50 and 65 feet.
First was a drop and cut up
the second was a climber, got spruce chips everywhere except in my boots
I hit about 35 feet a and five minute shower passed through, just enough rain to get a good covering of saw chips stuck about every where on me

come to think of it, did the same thing yesterday

Newfie and I removed the remainder of yesterdays 36"dbh hollow sugar maple, (filled with cement and rocks, of course... sunufabeach!!!!) ,a 10" dbh cherry and a 14" cedar.

Oh, and cleaned up some yews and put some clearance on a coupla other trees.

Lazy day today. Cleaned up a storm damaged D-fir. Went home for lunch with the family and took a nap. Then went out to grind a couple stumps, and do a bid.

A couple quick sales calls early, then spent most all day fine pruning a 45" Red Oak with a large, wide, well shaped canopy. This kind of work is what keeps me at it. Set two lines on opposite sides, took my time as the tree was slick with freshly rained on lichen, and just enjoyed the breeze and this fine old(er) tree . Cleaned up tons of odd angle stubs left from the previous thinning work. Mostly well conceived, but poorly executed cuts. Looks like bucket truck work to me. In the evening met with local owner about subbing for him.

Removed 6 aspens (to the stump-I'll grind then tomorrow). Took a large broken limb off a Mulberry and pruned for roof clearance. Pruned 2 cottonwoods to correct storm damage (broken stuff everywhere :( ) Minor cleaning and clearance pruning on 1 Linden and 1 Ash and did a pruning on a young Norway Maple to encourage good form.

Tough day today! Had a 38" dbh 120 foot plus doug fir to remove, hoping to crane it. Only access requires crossing a ditch, 1 foot deep and 2 feet on the other higher side. So we threw some firewood in the ditch, then chips. compacted it with my p/u, then the front tires of the chip truck, then backed it in, chipper and all. I misjudged the size of the tree, and may need a bigger crane. Estimated 2400 board feet in what's left, 85 feet, we leave it at fence height. The tree was one sided, due to two firs that were removed 5 yrs ago that were on the other side. Limbs were up to 9 inches around and long! It took 5 hrs to brush it out and chunk it down to 85 feet. The new owners are Asian, and, due their Feng Shui beliefs, had to have it removed. They are signing papers Monday, and must have it out by then. So I gotta find another crane co, the one I called said Tuesday was the earliest.
Then we drove 10 miles over to the second job, an 80 foot 30" dbh wolfy white pine, and brushed it out up to 45-50 feet, plus we removed a dying dogwood next to it. Got done at 6 pm. Mike is coming tomorrow with the 17 ton crane. I may lead him up to the fir job, as he can take the pine logs there, making one stop for the log truck. Then we can see if he can do the tree. If I keep the logs to 16-20 feet, the weights will be close to 9000 lb max, which may mean that Mike can get the tree down. But we aint taking any chances, so may hold out for the bigger crane.

Here's a pic, I brushed another 15 feet out before lowering a small top. Video only of that.

Last edited:
Easy day today. Notch and drop on a 93' tulip poplar. I'll send the boys over tomorrow to chunk and chip.

And they said this one couldn't be done that way...

:laugh:

Same here, supereasy. A med size tallow frigging up some HVAC system. I shoulda went and done something else, but WTH. It's hot!

took a multi-stemmed sycamore down,sided back another 3 ivy infested sycamores and got wet.bit boring really

We finished the pine today....arrggghhh! We'd left a lifeline and lowering line in the tree, which, by morning, were well sapped up just from drippage. Ian did the tree, and in no time, he was havin' no fun at all. Even with a block and portawrap, lowering was grabby as heck...and moving his Vt was a major pain. When the crane showed, and he pulled his lifeline out of the natural crotch, I had to help him get it moving! That lifeline and Vt, and the biners were simply glistening or black....uggh.

So I bought a gallon of citricidal cleaner to add to the laundry, gotta wash all the messed up gear.

I briefly had my hardhat off, and now my hair feels like I used hairspray on it.

Moral of the story, don't stop halfway through a pitchy tree job!

Good news was the logs will bring more than the crane cost, so we made a bundle, $1700-1800 for about 18 manhours. And I determined that a 23 ton crane will do the big fir, so that will save some $, at $125 per hr, and 3 as opposed to 4 hr min. for the bigger cranes. That will be tomorrow morning. That job was low priced at $1200, but I'll hope to gain $450 -700 extra from the logs.

Latest posts

Back