So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two climbers along with myself, the small guy is 130 pounds of solid muscle and can climb like nobody else, the second would make big John or JP look like lightweights ;) but he is really good at large removals, I'm putting him in charge of the forestry work also as he has plenty of experience logging.
Now all I need is to find ol' GM to back up my ground guys.:D

Anybody do any trimming?

O yeah, finished one big yard; some big oaks with cracked limbs from sorm 8 yrs ago that regrew weird. Fun to follow tree's efforts to regrow healthy crown, felt lvery natural to follow nature's way. Much time spent on cleanup; will test client's sense od umor when he sees my ballpark estimate was about 30% light, but left him msg to lessen shock.

Then in heat of afternoon had consult to look at dist at base of maple, suspected woodborers. Turned out the dust came from a cavity 6' up. Spent most of an hour excavating and flushing out rot. Showed client that the small black ants were not carpenters. Big cavity but tree will stay w light reduction in winter.:angel:

While wood was drying to allow penetration of repellent (eucalyptus oil) took tour of yard and noting pruning needs. Flagged (small)removals for client to do on his own; may end up doing this winter with him if he doesn't "get around to it". Sold an extra hour of pruning, not my first choice of activities when it's 97 degrees but hey it fit the schedule.

Client showed me promo letter from competitor; classy but hard-sell. Charged new high rate well-earned for flirting with heatstroke. Client happy to pay.

Guy - euc oil? That got my attention. You observe it for a time w/ monocular and see how effective it is?

On city work (golf course here with imposed restrictions on wounding [my suggestions] all live oak live wounds are treated but sealer is out of question) I've been using a 100/1 ratio of Deet in bar oil. Not liking it for it's neuro-toxic properties but knowing from observation it does the trick, I'd be more than interested in finding something less threatening.

I don't know why I didn't think of a deterrent alternative to DEET, especially after memorizing the Gulf War One NIH data and being a former guinea pig for the Dapsone malaria boondoggle. I employ a string soaked in Camphor on my boots for fireants, chiggers and ticks.

Antifungal and anti bacterial too you think?

Follow up on the last two day's jobs. Ness showed up with their 36 ton crane, instead of the 23. At first he didnt think he could get close enough to the tree, but figured it oiut. Had to use outriggers partly extended, reducing his load limits, but we got the tree down safely. The 4 picks weighed 3000, 4500, 5500, and 7500 lb, well within the 23 ton crane's limits, which he agreed would have worked, so I was charged that rate, and the minimum 3 hr charge. Which made me happy, as the wood scaled out to 1920 bf, instead of my 2300' estimate, plus had a bit of rot, so we'll still only gain 150-250$. Later, we went back in the chip truck to clean up, stack and split a bit of wood (to make the gal happy whose yard we used) and got the chips out of the ditch, which all took 3 manhours. All in all, not a profitable job, at maybe $60 per manhr, unless the customer agrees to give me the $200 back that I discounted for taking the wood. But the pine tree job made us a bundle, aside from the 4 hours cleaning pitch off everything.

This pic, while my photo editor calls 266 kb, also seems to be 1540x2060 resolution. You slow connection guys, I know it's bigger than you like, but tell me, how long does it take to dl? Anyhow, if you can click on the little icon to make it full size, that will really show the pitch all over everything.

Last edited:
Push it over, get it hung up at a 90 degree angle, cut it loose and spike it butt end in the ground. Is that how you guys usually do it?:rolleyes:

The new groundman isn't hesitant with the camera. Gives me a chance to see how goofy I look.

Originally posted by rbtree
This pic, while my photo editor calls 266 kb, also seems to be 1540x2060 resolution. You slow connection guys, I know it's bigger than you like, but tell me, how long does it take to dl? Anyhow, if you can click on the little icon to make it full size, that will really show the pitch all over everything.
1'6"

Yours excepted, Roger (haha), they're usually not worth the wait, which is a shame 'cause we'd all like to see (collectively) your pictures.  Even so, by manipulating this image to 40% and sharpening it a touch, it's still a bit large at 116 KB.

Also, the assumption there's an icon to click for resizing the image in the browser window is yet another result of computing mono-culture.

Glen

Floppped 2 swamp white oaks and an ash (all deader than a doornail) for a neighbor...the good kinda neighbor..he lets me hunt on his property :D Sometimes it's nice to do things for no charge :D

Jeff

Aargh......... Topped and dropped a 30"Dbh Cottonwood and bucked the dead top out of it's sister. I still have to go back and rake and haul the big wood. Evertything went okay but why oh why did my eyes lie an say they were small when I bid it? Price was right at half of what it should of been!:( :mad: :eek:

Short and easy day. Met up with GICON, got to play with his bucket for awhile and show him a few things. He's fast on the uptake, and made for an easy student to teach.

Back