So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Bid the job as if you are going to sub out each part of the entire thing.
I printed this tip out and put it on my clipboard. I needed to hear that. Thanks skwerl, you are useful when you divert from your main goals of chaos panic disorder and sarcasm:angel:

"you are useful when you divert from your main goals of chaos panic disorder and sarcasm"

Is there a compliment in there? I'm sure rocky feels better that you feel limited approval towards him.

I'm fixin' to go out and mill some more lumber on my woodmizer. Just another day in the life of a tree-murderer.:p

Evertything went okay but why oh why did my eyes lie an say they were small when I bid it? Price was right at half of what it should of been!
Why do trees always look bigger when you go back to remove them? Do they really grow that much it just a short amount of time? :eek: Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the "under bidding syndrome".

Jeff

"pulled over seven dead carolina poplers with truck"
Yes it is nice to use machines instead of muscles. but hc, here I am in NC, and I don't know what a "carolina popler" is. A tuliptree aka liriodendron or what?

"I'm sure rocky feels better that you feel limited approval towards him." Yes I'm sure that made his week
:angel: ,
tho it's not the first nice thing I ever said to him. I have burned myself SO many times with dumb bids; common sense to break it down and imagine subbing it all. So simple; it is a great tip; could be the start of a five-star thread.

Worked for free yesterday & pruned a bunch of low growth and some limbs hitting house on my property and my neighbors house. Had the kids dragging brush to pickup truck and loading, they actually wished they were back in school after a few hours dragging brush:) Neighbor brought over a freshly made warm tray of homemade chocolate brownies after dinner as a thank you.
Not a bad day at all.;)

Guy, Carolina poplar is one of the names given to a variety of "Cottonless" Cottonwood. A hybrid of a european poplar and an american cottonwood.

Originally posted by Dadatwins
Had the kids dragging brush to pickup truck and loading, they actually wished they were back in school after a few hours dragging brush
Yes, show the little buggers that they have no reason to beeyotch. When mine gripes too loud he stacks firewood.

Thanks, Justin.

Yesterday, I spotted this young sequoia, whilst out doing estimates. It is not overly large, but has the largest base relative to mass I've seen yet. It is maybe 75-85 feet tall, but is around 29 feet in circumference at ground level! I'd be surprised if it is over 50 years old!

Art work or just packed up for the metal recyler?

seen at the local saw shop...

I took a call out this morning to go and help with some scaffolding for the local carpenter's union. Seeing as it is Sunday the rate is double time plus you get four hours show up for a call out. I got dressed, drove to the yard to get my hardhat and gloves from the bucket truck and then a five minute drive to the generating station where the work was to be done. When I got there the boss said, "Thank's for showing up, have a nice day!" The millwrights were running behind so we couldn't dismantle the scaffold yet. Eight hours pay just like that.:blob6:

I told him to phone me if he needed help tonight when everything was ready to go. If so that means a seperate callout and another four hours double time for an estimated one hour of actual work. Woohooo!!:D

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Hey Roger that sequoia is AWESOME!

Yep. wouldn't it be great to be able to fast forward about 100 years and take another look.....assuming, of course, some uncivilized humans haven't cut it down.

Likely, in a native forest environment, sequoia dont develop such massive base girth till much later in life. I've just seen two planted stands, one in Portland's Hoyt Arboretum, planted in 1931, very close together. The trees were well over 110 feet tall, and merely 3 or so feet dbh. And another row along a driveway, also very tall and skinny, more like redwood than sequoia, at least that i've seen in the PNW. In the former group, the lower 60-70 % of the branches had died out. In another 50 years, they'd probably all fall off, and with the bark getting thick, the trees would now have their natural fire resistance developed.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
Pretty tree. I'd like to be in one like that every day.

Just looking at the pictures of that tree made my eyes start to tear up and my sinus clog. I need a benadryl.;)

Was looking at some work at a good customer's, and spotted this shot:

This is the top of a young Serbian spruce...anybody see why I call this shot, "Liberty Bell and Old Glory"?

Latest posts

Back