So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by glens
I like the garnish, Butch.

Ya, what was it, weird, oh yes, forgot the days I live in the south on the gulf. They had funny stuff served out as food. I learned and ended up likeing it all.

Jack

Actually what I did yesterday. Removals, removals, removals-I'm clearing the lot a junker trailer park used to occupy. Several small elms ,some small plums and a couple of big elms came down yesterday. One elm was a 4 footer(dbh)-I had trouble getting that one to go ahead and fall-back weighted and (more significantly) into the teeth of the wind. Had toi double up on the wedges to get it to go. A Family of wood rats stopped into visit the job site. They had been taking down 3 monster cottonwoods a block away. I bid that job but didn't want it. These guys rented a portable lift and topped them out ( there wasn't room to fell all three- 1 I would have dropped whole but the others had to be reduced in height to fit into the drop zone.) they came rolling up in the unmarked Pick-up with firewood racks to see if I wanted to share. I've got 1 4 ft dbh Cottonwood to remove on the lot-has a lean to the east where it could reach the powerlines and neighboring carwash/convenience store. My plan is to fell it North. I asked what they wanted to knock of some limbs on the south side.-$250 . I said no thanks and the head rat started asking how many big cottonwoods I'd dropped. ("I don't know-quite a few") He comes back with "I'm a big timber logger from Oregon adn I've dropped thousands of 'em. You can't trust Cottonwood to hinge." I told them if they wanted to drop the lower limbs on the southeast side for $100 to go ahead -it would make it easier to drop the rest. Little Squeaker takes over from Head Rat and says, "I'll run the lift if you'll put a man up to do the cutting-It'll only take a half hour." I said "No thanks." He says " Well, I'm real good at running the lift-done it a bunch but if I have to run the lift and cut it'll take like 2 and a half hours. If you put a guy up there we can knock it out for $100." I smiled and said "It's not worth it to me.". to put this in perspective. I'm far from a great climber but it'll take me less than an hour to go up and drop those limbs off the southeast side. It doesn't even have to be done but with the east lean I would like to make sure it is biased a little to the North before I fell it. Mr. "always LOW cost" -(his ad in the local paper)- trying to intimidate me into riding a lift for his scuzzy looking helper and pay for the "priviledge" is laughable.:rolleyes:

Day of rest my arse...

Started off my day taking apart a 60' tall hemlock (Guy, it's okay... it was already dead from adelgid); well, actuall TWO of 'em. Was supposed to be only one... but anyhow...

While about halfway through that job, got called for an emergency removal: 46" DBH red oak uprooted and landed on a nursing home... more on that in a minute...

Finish the first job, light out to dump and go bang out a 20 minute quickie; 2 more hemlocks being removed to be replaced later with something more suitable.

Anyhow, roll up on the emergency removal at 5pm to secure the tree, finally finished just into dark. Got everything off the roof, have to go back tomorrow (and probably for a couple days afterwards) to deal with the rest of the mess.

Turns out a few nice spears pierced the roof in more places than a sideshow freak. And I don't mean they just cracked the ceiling, either. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

I climbed the Cottonwood mentioned above. Didn't hurry but glanced at my watch before starting up and again when I hit the ground. Skinned the southeast side of the tree in 35 minutes.:cool: So much for woodrats and lifts.:p Haven't felled the tree yet-there were others to do. Matt bucked and chipped the 4 ft dbh elm that we dumped friday evening while I climbed the Cottonwood and then 2 smallish elms that were wrapped around the cablevision carrier. Topped those out to 10 foopt stumps then dumped 2 30+"elms. We got those bucked and chipped (mostly). Gave 2 bids and dumped the truck. me tired puppy.

good and rainy this AM, customer called ; sick daughter going to doctor wanted to resched for tomorrow. Fine with me, went to my parents place where the nephew was being babysat, had coffee with my ma, took a nap with the nephew (2 years old and didnt want to nap until I lay down on the couch), had a bite of lunch, chatted with my pops. Went to visit a couple friends for coffee, toured a wholesale nursery, home by 4. Gathered up the pole saw and lopper for tomorrows fruit tree assault. and hopefully home by 3:30 to watch the world cup of hockey final game where us Canuckians are fightin for gold with the Fins.

My superstitions are in order. Had my team canada jersey on, gretzky tuck (those who know, know), opened a can of molson canadian at the beginning of each period, wife not allowed in tv room, hot wings and fries for dinner.

Those fries should have been poutine; for the uninitiated fries with curd cheese and gravy on the top, a Quebec delicacy.

I think the Finns are going to give Team Canada a run for their money.

Probably the last pro hockey for a while with the looming strike.

Yesterday another idle day spending money, and today little more.......I am going to remove a number of dead trees in this campground in return for leaving my trailer here for the winter.

I topped a great big old fir today...had to be done. The clients had a garage put in about 4 feet from its base, chopped a bunch of sizable roots off. It was fairly exposed to winds and at about 115' and 4.5' DBH it would do a lot of damage regardless of where it fell. It had been topped at around 40' and had three codominant tops above the old topping site so it was a heavy tree. I spent today speedlining off the limbs and tops and got one of the spars rigged down. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Kinda diversified day. Some ROW work in the (rainy) AM, removal of a maple of some sort (no leaves, no bark, barely any wood) in the PM. Played around in this oak for a bit:

Forgot to get the camera out! I played Groundie for Kenn Outonalimb Shawcroft today. We pruned 2 large Cottonwoods and an Ash. (plus a small Ash and a Juniper that I did from the ground). Kenn is quite a good climber.:)

Yeah, Of course, since these were my jobs, I was still the lead-sorta.-I explained our goals and pretty much let Kenn do his thing-just giving him the ground view occassionally so he would know what was hiding from him.:cool:

i suppose this is old school but why reinvent the wheel,other qoute was a crane

Originally emailed by aussie_lopa:
sorry to be a pain but could youi clear up my pic in ''what ya do today''thanks
Something like this?

&nbsp; <font face="fixed" size="-1">convert -resize 60% -gamma 2 -sharpen 0x1 16299.jpg 16299.jpeg</font>

Missed, missed and missed some more-Nether Kenn nor I could hit with the throwbag today. But we finally got 'em done.

My camera has lousy resolution but here is Kenn gettin' the tips.

Latest posts

Back