So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the heavy winds and rain this weekend took its toll on some of the trees in the park. 15 trees in all, 2 Siberian Elms, 5 pines and an assortment of others all met their maker today. Some were hung up nastily in others creating horrid spring poles. I ran one saw all day today and she stood up to all of it. A Stihl MS460 with a 25" bar. What a phenomenal saw....from 6" DBH to 30" DBH, she cut through all of it today like a raped ape!!! You know...the work always goes smoother when you have the right equipment to do it.

Tony

Tree on the roof.

TNTtreeman you are on a dangerous spot on that roof!!!!!
That place has got a spell on it and by looking at the pictures I know from who that spell came.

Wolter :umpkin:

Treespotter said:
Tree on the roof.

TNTtreeman you are on a dangerous spot on that roof!!!!!
That place has got a spell on it and by looking at the pictures I know from who that spell came.

Wolter :umpkin:

It only looks like I'm in a bad spot because of the camera angle. Looks like I'm under the limb, when I'm actually a few feet behind it. Trust me, I'm not about to go under anything with tension on it that could go at any moment. :dizzy: Funny that you caught the sign. It was one of the first things I noticed when I got there, but no Toto or Dorothy in sight. :p

Work is starting to pick up in a big way this year for this weekend tree climber. This week I picked up 4 tree jobs and a stump to grind and tonight after work(my full time day job), I received call to do a damaged limb removal and another T/D. May have to buy a bigger trailer soon to haul brush & wood away!

good on ya climber. no chipper yet, huh? how long have you been self-employed? do you prefer a trailer? who else do you work w/? anybody else climing for you? keep up the good work...

tnttreeman said:
It only looks like I'm in a bad spot because of the camera angle. Looks like I'm under the limb, when I'm actually a few feet behind it. Trust me, I'm not about to go under anything with tension on it that could go at any moment. :dizzy: :p

Hé tnttreeman,

I wasn't referring at the physical spot, I meant the place all over because of the spell.
It's the little thing that you notice that make you smile. :p

Jason, view my profile, I have a full time day job thats not tree related. I just do tree work on weekends and in the late afternoons. I'm able to pick & choose my tree work and refer the overflow,(& more technical work) to another company thats better equipped. I am an independent climber and do: tree, stump, limb & dead branch removal as well as light rigging. I rent a Vermeer222 stump grinder once I have enough stumps lined up to keep operating cost down and trailer the wood & brush out,(a one man show)! I live in a semi rural area and burning brush etc, isn't a problem! One of the reasons I get so many calls is because of something I started to do last year. Because I meet so many people that to different types of jobs...I take there business cards and put them in a card binder and offer them to my clients for consideration. I find work for them and in return, they find more work for me. Thats business helping business... a win win situation as I see it. ;) I have a good friend who once worked in a nursery and he also raises his own trees and shrubs to sell. I use him as a ground person on occasion but mostly for my own safety while working in difficult or dangerous trees. (I trust him with my life)! PPE & safety, being professional, doing quality work, having fun climbing trees is what I'm about. Learning and improving my skills all the time. :D HC

Today, I did quotes in the morning including a large dead limb removal for another tree campany. In return, he's going to remove a dry dead lead form over my customers garage with his bucket truck. In the afternoon I T/D'd three dead ash trees in a customers back yard,(EAB strikes again). :angry: . All went well and the owner said he'll keep the wood. Chop, drop & walk...I love it when that happens! :D

Last edited:
Thank Goodness we to get to take at least a 1/2 day off a week...Out on the boat in the Gulf of Mexico. John got to christen the spear gun he got for Christmas. He shot a nice size grouper; took him a while to get him out of the hole which gave me time to tan! Still to cold for me to get in the water, I don't go in till it is 80. Blackened Grouper for dinner. Yum

went rockclimbing all day sunday it was awesome getting close on a 13b redpoint ..... todya yiikes taxes.....boys are out doing a view clearing job ....easy day good pay .... oh ???? i just jinxed my self knock on wood

pool job

I helped a friend (groundie in picture) remove oak limbs that overhung his pool. A smooth, relaxing day, no rush, 70 degrees, light breeze from behind so the sawdust went the other way for a change.

I used the "Tree Climber's Companion" method to install a false crotch for the first time..worked great, made the ascent a LOT easier.

Look, guys...no spurs!

More pictures (including groundman) at

http://layton.smugmug.com/Tree+Job+3-30-05

Select "Pool Job"

pantheraba said:
I helped a friend (groundie in picture) remove oak limbs that overhung his pool. A smooth, relaxing day, no rush, 70 degrees, light breeze from behind so the sawdust went the other way for a change.

I used the "Tree Climber's Companion" method to install a false crotch for the first time..worked great, made the ascent a LOT easier.

Look, guys...no spurs!

More pictures (including groundman) at

http://layton.smugmug.com/Tree+Job+3-30-05

Select "Pool Job"

Great quality picts and a cool site. There are one or two things I am curious about though. On your site,why did you need all the fancy rigging to get the wood to curbside? For fun? Seems like a time waster to me but I work trees full time. Did you tie off your speed line to a power pole? Not a very good idea in my book; not safe and you make yourself liable to unnecessary damage. On your pine removal, since you were using spurs, why leave so many stubs. I try not to leave anything that can hurt me later. Your systems are fun and save you work if not time but I find them unpractical for day to day use. A hand truck on level ground gets wood like that to the curb quicker. Sorry to gripe. Keep at it. :angel:

Latest posts

Back