So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PIZZA???
aaf_shifty.gif

Starvin.gif

jusat had climbing practice today, decided to go for this massive lucombe oak, its a beast. was a bout forty foot up, and was using both ends of my line to climb, got a bit tangeled so stood on a branch trying to sort it out, suddenly relized that i wasn't tied into anything or holding on to any thing, suddenly developed a taste for tree hugging. sorted my self out quick sharp, my heart was pounding, leg shakeing made me think that you really got to watch yourself as one mistake can cost you a lot. got to have faith in your knots as well, got a bit nervours when i was leaning back in my harness trying to get the rope up higher, eyes kept flicking to my blakes every couple of seconds. its a bit of buzz, certainly beats packing foot deoderant into box's.

Missing in action

G'day veiwers,

Hope you all see this, Ive been away, and am leaving in a few hours for more,
533 members on line..WoW..This place is rockin...

Will try to fill yaz in on my return, a week or so..

Take care, no excuses, and be nice to each other!! ...Derek..

Well, it was a sweet day today! Cool, five small live oaks to trim, working at my leisure. It was for an Army General, I didn't get meet him. I know he's gonna be happy with his trees, they cleaned up just beautiful! And I was home in time to catch Judge Joe!
big_skip.gif

well my day was crap.got soaked thru and froze my nuts off climbing 10 trees trying to to put right what the gypsies did last year.sort of half worked but they had made such an appalling mess of the trees it would take years to regain their natural shape.4 of them should come out,thats how badly they were done before!!!!!!

This afternoon I took down a 55'-60' ash tree that was killed by the EAB! Four had been removed two week ago but this one was a a bit challenging. It was leaning toward neighbor's property directly above their ornamental trees & landscaping. Because there was a number of healthy trees in the area, i decided to remove the crown by speed lining. (this stuff is cool) Took a little longer than I wanted but nothing was damaged, not even the kids swing-set. It was kinda cute to see the owners two little girls (4 & 6), with their little faces pressed against the window looking up at me from inside the house. :p

Yup! There are a few small uninfected pockets along lake Erie and I hope they stay that way. The owner of the place I go deer hunting at has a couple of Blue Ash trees in his front yard, (a rare tree in this area!), so far the EAB hadn't found them! I live in Essex county or about a half hour drive from the Detroit MI & Windsor ONT bridge,(Ambassador Bridge). 99.9% of Essex county has been infected and Kent county(that borders Essex), was 65% infected as of this past spring. The numbers are much higher now and the EAB isn't slowing down. What a loss! :cry:

I'm on my fourth day helping this guy at his trailer...err, mobile home community. His aging parents have had it forever, and have let it go to waste over the years. This guy's taken out a big ass loan to renovate it, and one of the first things he's doing is removing trees to make more room, and clear out the place a bit... it's grown into a jungle.
Check out the topped red oak. If it comes back, it might not look too bad. Almost every tree you can see in the pic is coming down, with power lines everywhere.

I got to break my caddies in today, ten big, easy trees. I coulda BS most of em but I was trying to see if I could make my irons hurt me... and they didn't! Cool! Jason, ya gotta get em!

Today was spent in our local zoo, which I normally hate cuz you can't smoke. Nothing to brag about, a couple TD's and a 'lil trimming. The cool thing was the new Bengal tigers the zoo recently got. I shoulda took a pic, but I guess ya'll know whut a Bengal looks like.
At one point I was working right next to their lair, and lemme tell ya these dudes are badass! They didn't even flinch when I cranked my saw, which is unusual.
They just looked at me. Very intensely! :Eye: :Eye:

Ha! My experience at the philly zoo, we went up there to pose a shot w the co. bucket truck and the PAL team the boss was sponsering, and he goes and swings the bucket over the lion pit, and starts bouncing it up and down. The Lions just sat ther looking up at him like your cat does when you're dangling something higher than it knows it can jump. You know the look......"Just a little closer"

Dumbest bastard I ever worked for. The bucket got the elephants all riled uip too.

Good morning all. May God Bless you'al this Sunday morning, :angel:

Did a TD on a 60' sycamore Thursday. The dang thing was half routed out starting about 4' from the ground and ran for about 10'. Not real bad till I got up about 40' and started noticing that sometime ago this tree had been trimmed. And that who every did it cut off the collars of the LM they were removing. Each removed LM was hollow, what was left, and of course the stem was partially hollow to. Needless to say, we did a lot of rigging to remove the top of the tree, so that we did'nt put a lot of pressure on the main trunk. Where I was tied in was also hollow. Used the neighbors pecan tree to swing the top lm's out and only used the butt tie end for guiding. Job took longer than I wanted but better to play safe than sorry. Did I mention that there was a shed under the tree and fence about 12' away on two sides.

Should have re-bid the job right then and there .... at the 40' level.

Have a Blessed Day,

re-bid

Don't you carry a pair of binoculars with you to look the trees over before you bid if you're not going to climb them before you bid? Just looking from the ground you'll miss a lot but with the binoculars you can step back and see more of what is going on in the top as you walk around the tree and look.

geofore said:
Don't you carry a pair of binoculars with you to look the trees over before you bid if you're not going to climb them before you bid? Just looking from the ground you'll miss a lot but with the binoculars you can step back and see more of what is going on in the top as you walk around the tree and look.

That's a great idea Geofore. I got a pair I use for hunting ... their going in the truck now on estimates.

Thanks and have a Blessed Day :angel:

Tom D. Wilson said:
what happens when your at the top of one of them mothers and you need a slash?
was practicing climbing lime trees last week, my mate who was acting as grounds man nearly shat himself. i was a bout 25 ft up with another ten to go and heard this curious rumbling noise, turn my my head too see about 70 sheep stampeeding towards us, i just laughed from the safety of my perch as my mate tried shinning up the trunk to get out of the way.
+ never uderestemate the power of a clove hitch, i'v found its just the thing for getting your grounds man to tie your thermous flask to the line. Nowt better than sitting at the top of a tree with a nice cup-a-tea enjoying the view.
I've used a Saddle hitch for tying water bottles and other containers on to a climber life-line before, but a Clove may give a bit more of a bite.

Mike Davis
:Monkey:

geofore said:

i carry binoculars and a rubber mallet. my partner thinks i'm nuts but i smack trees that i'm worried about to listen for hollow. most of the time you can tell but i like to smack for good measure. i always wanted to play the drums

binoculars is a great idea. @points of question i rap on the trunk w/ the handle of my hand saw from time to time. probly not as effective as a mallet, but alot of times i do that spur of the moment while im in the tree before i continue upward. so it would probly not be as convienent at that moment to use a mallett, but, same concept. cool to see im using the same thinking as others around the community and vice versa ...

Well, the handsaw handle is a lot harder than your knuckles, or your forehead...

<tt>:</tt>)

Latest posts

Back