So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been my life for the last week. We were in Findlay last weekend when we got a call from my brother, who was here to feed the fish, that we had 5 1/2"-6" of water in the basement. Servpro has been here everyday.

View attachment 475631 View attachment 475632 View attachment 475633
Water in basement not good, but after several years I'm used to it but my basement doesn't have anything in it but plumbing. Hope yours didn't have any lasting damage, it's a nice looking basement.

Finished cutting up a mulberry tree yesterday that I fell back before Christmas. That modded 40cc Echo CS400 saw is just right for jobs like this. With the 16' b&c combo I bought from Bailey's I could even cut the bottom of that triple twisted trunk long ways. I couldn't do that with the original chain on it. Had to cut it from both sides, and it took a while, but I couldn't have moved it any other way.
Does mulberry make good fire wood? It sure did sling out the yellow sawdust.

20160102_150640.jpg 20160102_150659.jpg 20160102_145726.jpg

It's 99% dried out now. All the fans and dehumidifiers will come out Monday. Then it's just a matter of putting everything back together. Sure wasn't the plan for my week off though.

Was it ground water from outside? Or a washer hose? Hoping it was not backed up from the sewer.

Milled out some walnut blanks for a friend to turn into wooden bowls.
d5571fbbc422e84b0797162b0841b5b4.jpg

Finished cutting up a mulberry tree yesterday that I fell back before Christmas. That modded 40cc Echo CS400 saw is just right for jobs like this. With the 16' b&c combo I bought from Bailey's I could even cut the bottom of that triple twisted trunk long ways. I couldn't do that with the original chain on it. Had to cut it from both sides, and it took a while, but I couldn't have moved it any other way.
Does mulberry make good fire wood? It sure did sling out the yellow sawdust.

View attachment 475685 View attachment 475686 View attachment 475687
Yes. Pretty easy to split as well.
http://forestry.usu.edu/htm/forest-products/wood-heating

I am in need of a good way to put up a mailbox post. Spent an hour driving a cheap post in to the ground that is too short to hold. I could pull it out by hand. It was a cheap kit that somebody in the family chose. Now I need a plan that works. I am in clay soil here in east TN. So no good drainage. That makes wood a challange, even pressure treated from what I understand. Concrete is the fastest but will be a pain to replace when the post rots out. Galvanized pipe over one inch is spendy. Other than that, not much did church this morning and spent the afternoon looking for good quality digging tools.

Brad, sorry to see your problem! I have had a couple of wet spots on the basement floor but thankfully that is all.

I am in need of a good way to put up a mailbox post. Spent an hour driving a cheap post in to the ground that is too short to hold. I could pull it out by hand. It was a cheap kit that somebody in the family chose. Now I need a plan that works. I am in clay soil here in east TN. So no good drainage. That makes wood a challange, even pressure treated from what I understand. Concrete is the fastest but will be a pain to replace when the post rots out. Galvanized pipe over one inch is spendy. Other than that, not much did church this morning and spent the afternoon looking for good quality digging tools.

Brad, sorry to see your problem! I have had a couple of wet spots on the basement floor but thankfully that is all.
A treated 4x6 will hold up fine. I've had one in the southern clay now for 15 years and doing well.

Split some more wood this afternoon. Tried to finish that pile but ran out of energy before I ran out of wood. One more session should do it and then time to get the saws out and make more rounds out of the log pile.

Settled down a deal with a dannish guy, 262 KS jug, HDA87, crank crankcase top cover 262 90 model, 254 crank, 242g flywheel, 2xhda 98 carbs.
Prepared a list off things I need to order from my Husky dealer for tmr.

Worked my way through this.

20160102_151112.jpg

To get to this...

20160103_145636.jpg 20160103_145641.jpg

To turn it into this...

20160103_161937.jpg

Along with burning two gret big brushpiles and cutting some felled cedar.
My wife is the best brush dragger I've ever seen. And I should know she sure drags me around enough.

Try sourcing acacia, will last a decade or more completely untreated, treated most likely half a lifetime!
Acacia is very popular for fence posts in my area, grows fast, is usually quite straight and is very resistant against rot and bugs once the bark is removed.
Just a suggestion. :)

For getting a post in the ground I made a "drill" out of scrap metal, works fairly well too.
Will take some pictures and post them.

Worked my way through this.

View attachment 475949

To get to this...

View attachment 475950 View attachment 475951

To turn it into this...

View attachment 475953

Along with burning two gret big brushpiles and cutting some felled cedar.
My wife is the best brush dragger I've ever seen. And I should know she sure drags me around enough.
I've been clearing bushes around a orchard of mine all last Years spring and part of this winter.
I'm almost done, have a small patch left that can be easily dealth with.
Got some firewood out of it too. ;)

I tore down a 242xp carcass, gathered all the missing parts I could find from my junk boxes and made a short list of the things I need to buy. The crank bearings were iffy so I stripped it completely down so I could really clean them. I'll replace the flywheel side but the clutch side is NLA so I'm hoping it is ok. If not, I'll have to tear down one of the "donor" 42's and hope I can find a good bearing. I am missing the bar plate, also NLA, so I will be on a quest to find one of those.

In doing research I have seen people suggest that lumber from the big box, diy stores IE: Lowes and Home Depot is inferior to lumber sourced from and actual lumber yard. Either way, I have to decide which way I want to put the post in the ground. Concrete is great, until I need to replace the post. And I want it to be easy to replace in case the post gets smashed by the bad drivers. I am inclined just to dig a hole, set the post and tamp the dirt down as I backfill in the hole. In this clay, it will probably set up hard. Decisions, decisions.

Back