So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl fan boys and there all mighty ultra koolaid.
Forgive me for being new to your click. All I have asked, from day one, is proof that stihl oil is detrimental to an engine longevity when mixed and tuned properly. So far there have been exactly 2 members that have been both knowledgeable and helpful. The rest has been useless noise.

Forgive me for being new to your click. All I have asked, from day one, is proof that stihl oil is detrimental to an engine longevity when mixed and tuned properly. So far there have been exactly 2 members that have been both knowledgeable and helpful. The rest has been useless noise.
You have discounted what you don't want to hear or see and have basked in whatever you think supports your totally ignorant opinion.
There is plenty of evidence out there.

Actually it is. Been doing so for three decades.

Says the guy in his 40's. LOL!

I have been running saws since I was a wee lad, as well as my 2 teenage boys. But to insinuate that anyone has a clue as to the chemistry of oil at that age, or how the saw reacts to different tunes/ mixes, especially oil technology of that time frame is being dishonest at best. I'm giving ya some rope there.

OK. What do you recommend?
Hoping not Amsoil.
I was never a scamsoil fan. But Dominator does burn clean. Red Armor leaves more behind to lubricate bearings. Schaeffers is another. Those are the only oils I have any experience with for running clean. I’m sure there are others but I have no experience outside those I mentioned

Thats where you are wrong. You obviously aren't hearing what I have been asking for, and I am done asking.
Thanks to Huskhil and Broken for the insightful info and dialect. At Huskhils advice I will try something different. Clean out my plugged ports and reinstall my clean (not cleaned!) mufflers and I will run something different for a year. They have showed much knowledge (and patience) throughout this thread, and I appreciate that.

I was never a scamsoil fan. But Dominator does burn clean. Red Armor leaves more behind to lubricate bearings. Schaeffers is another. Those are the only oils I have any experience with for running clean. I’m sure there are others but I have no experience outside those I mentioned
You like your super tech as well Kevin but ole walmart has been out of it since October.

OK. I have a Schaeffers rep here local. Have been using their gear oils and gear box oils for a long time. Thank you.

Don't sell yourself short Kevin , your reputation precedes you brother . I have it on good resource your a wealth of information . P.S. I just put back together an old Homelite top handle I am going to do the trial on with the Dominator vs Interceptor vs Saber . I have not forgotten your advice ! Thanks !

Don't sell yourself short Bill , your reputation precedes you brother . I have it on good resource your a wealth of information . P.S. I just put back together an old Homelite top handle I am going to do the trial on with the Dominator vs Interceptor vs Saber . I have not forgotten you advice ! Thanks !
why not mix all three oils together and try it?

Don't sell yourself short Bill , your reputation precedes you brother . I have it on good resource your a wealth of information . P.S. I just put back together an old Homelite top handle I am going to do the trial on with the Dominator vs Interceptor vs Saber . I have not forgotten your advice ! Thanks !
Who’s Bill? Lol

I’m Kevin. And thanks for the kind words. I’m just sharing what I’ve seen. I don’t really care what people do, just hate to see failures that could be prevented with some minor due diligence

Says the guy in his 40's. LOL!

I have been running saws since I was a wee lad, as well as my 2 teenage boys. But to insinuate that anyone has a clue as to the chemistry of oil at that age, or how the saw reacts to different tunes/ mixes, especially oil technology of that time frame is being dishonest at best. I'm giving ya some rope there.
If it hasn't sunk in by 45 it's not going to. I knew what was up in my 20's because I took the time to learn a thing or two. Since then I've seen a thing or two as well.
You not only don't know much, you haven't seen much either.

If it hasn't sunk in by 45 it's not going to. I knew what was up in my 20's because I took the time to learn a thing or two. Since then I've seen a thing or two as well.
You not only don't know much, you haven't seen much either.
Did we just go from 3 decades experience to 2? I sense we are getting closer to the truth!
You may be great to some on this forum but to be honest, I wouldn't give a nickel for your advice. You can kindly take your arrogance elsewhere.

Did we just go from 3 decades experience to 2? I sense we are getting closer to the truth!
You may be great to some on this forum but to be honest, I wouldn't give a nickel for your advice. You can kindly take your arrogance elsewhere.
I've been on this forum for close to 20 years and have been playing with two strokes since I was in junior high. I am now 45. Is that clear?
In addition I have certs in tribology, oil analysis , vibration analysis, have worked 2 years in the auto industry in R&D/quality control, worked for 5 years in mineral processing/mining, 7 years in coal, diesel and gas power generation and have going on four years in oil refining. I also owned my own business for six years and logged from September through April during this time. Not te mention firewood, land clearing, piece cutting etc in my spare time. And that's only my work history past the age of 18. I grew up working in my grandfather's machine shop from around the age of 12 on.
Let's hear about your resume.

Well, here are the results of running Castrol for two seasons of firewood cutting. No noticable wear, cylinder crosshatch and piston machine marks still like new.
Quite low deposits in the exhaust port and muffler, next to nothing for varnish deposits around the rings or on the piston.
The oil seems to prefer running hot, there's nothing to speak of on the baffle for deposits, in fact you can still see the braze color in the corners of the baffle. The clean streak in the exhaust port is where I ran a finger, it dumped a bit of soot just recently from idling while I was running it to get some fresh gas in the carb after having it sit for 3 months.
Bit of a different story on top of the piston though, a thin even layer of black carbon deposit, you can still see the arrow on the piston pointing to the front. So it seems this oil is fine as far as wear goes, but I would like to see a bit less buildup on the top of the piston. This ms250 has seen a lot of heavy use in dry ash, so no lightweight limbing duties for it.
Overall OK oil if you run your equipment hot enough to prevent buildup, the price is reasonable too.
Will probably try Opti 2 next season, my uncle's been using it in his 024 AV super, cuts enough wood to heat his house all winter and the saw is still running strong after 30 years of use.

Attachments

• IMG_20220124_015806.jpg
    IMG_20220124_015806.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220124_013553.jpg
    IMG_20220124_013553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220124_014200.jpg
    IMG_20220124_014200.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220124_015759.jpg
    IMG_20220124_015759.jpg