So whats the most durable saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From experience I have to go with the Super 250. This saw is running now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was logging a few years ago and set my 372xp down behind a stump(where I thought it was safe). I was wrong and it got backed over by a C7 Treef Farmer. I had just gassed it up and it was laying on the clutch side. Skidder wnet over the bar, recoil cover and rear handle. We dug the saw out of the ground, straightened out the front handle and ran it the rest of the day.

I checked it out when I got home and only had to replace the handle. Just some small cracks and scratches in the plastic/

Hands down a one or two man crosscut.Does not matter what brand.

Agreed :) Since tread does not specify "chainsaw" or power mode..

But since it is in Chainsaw forum.. I would say Stihl 064 with the 044 a close 2nd..

Been hundreds of these used commercially for years.. a lot more hours on them than just about all the other models put together likely :) Well maybe not quite.. but likely more than any other single model.

A tough breed.

Last edited:
Stihl 028... 25 years old, never been rebuilt, dropped to the concrete from the top of pole barn headers, bounced out of the bucket of the tractor, (countless times). And last , but not least... Loaned for entire season to BIL... Still runs like a new saw...:hmm3grin2orange:

ECHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I have never seen an older Echo.. I think they started making chainsaws in the mid to late '70s. But do not know anybody who ever had one of any older vintage.

Most Echo's I have seen or used were within the vintage of somewhere in the 21st century. Not really something that would qualify as most durable :)

my echo 750 is a tank. I haven't seen many broken homelite c series. I think they are the toughest.
kevin

I have never seen an older Echo.. I think they started making chainsaws in the mid to late '70s. But do not know anybody who ever had one of any older vintage.

Most Echo's I have seen or used were within the vintage of somewhere in the 21st century. Not really something that would qualify as most durable :)

check out the rear handle/tank housing on an echo cs 680 sometime...that aint plastic ur lookin at, its METAL! several folks have said 044 is most durable or close to it but i think if i threw my 044 and my 680 off a cliff, the 680 would hold up better. the 680 is a hard use pro saw built to take it in the woods.

oh BTW my rear handle on my 044 is broken. plastic sucks.

From my expierience the metal is tuff but under extreme cases it doesnt flex at all...it breaks.....plastic may suck but it gives a little before breaking....on my efco 156...i believe that to be a weak design and cheap plastic....I (stupidly) sat it across 2 logs so i could move another log to cut for firewood....it fell on its rear handle and is now cracked right in the rear "point" of the handle. You live and learn. I have seen some stihls take some abuse.

One time I was helping to trim fence line redneck style. I was lifted up in a bucket of tractor(at least 15 ft) to trim some trees..tractor surged forward and i dropped a stihl 018c right onto the engine housing of the tractor......farmer let me down to get the saw and i looked it over and went right back up to finish the job....in fact the saw never shut off...the chain break engaged but that was it...the little critters are tough now. And i dont even like stihl...(I always go with the under dog.....nothing wrong with stihl)

Last edited:
i dont have experience with too many saws, but this jonsereds 52e i picked up is built like a damn tank

probally the really old iel's and pm's saws that were built back in the day, by unions and companies who built their saws to last as long as them. The 162se i got seems to be very durable. Also my dads poulan 3000 that thing has been to hell and back and just keeps on going.

028`s are certainly tough and so are the 038`s but I have never seen the 028 used by commercial harvesters, mostly firewood duty for homeowners. The 044 on the other hand has been used extensively by commercial harvesters and I have see so many with more hours put on them in 2-3 years, than any homeowner cutting firewood would be able to put on a saw in their lifetimes. I would really like to see and dismantle a Husqvarna with 3000 + hours on it.
Pioneerguy600

i trashed an 044 by letting it go off the back of a flat bed onto gravel @ 35mph.

My McC 795 fell of the back of a quad at about 25 and all it did was jar the handle bar and ding a few teeth. . .

My daily driver 1969 Echo CS-60S and my NIB 1980 60S same saw diff color. I also have a few other 1969's a few 1970's and a 1971. Echo started in 1965 and came to the US in Jan 1969...Bob

Too bad its not as easy to get a hold of a 60s or 70s model fender strat as it is to get the old saws.

Ide probably sell every thing I own for a 1963 model Stratocaster. . . . . . . . . . . .

Too bad its not as easy to get a hold of a 60s or 70s model fender strat as it is to get the old saws.

Ide probably sell every thing I own for a 1963 model Stratocaster. . . . . . . . . . . .

My buddy has a Gold one. He got it when he was 7. He said its worth about $125,000.00 but because he added a toggle switch its worth less money...Bob

Back