So whats the most durable saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

:smirk:

From my expierience the metal is tuff but under extreme cases it doesnt flex at all...it breaks.....plastic may suck but it gives a little before breaking....

I think both have pros and cons..

Metal can be designed to do a lot of bending.. and perhaps hardly break at all but bend.. on the other hand some metal will not bend but break.. depends on how it is tempered, etc.. harder metal tends to be stronger in some respects but break before bend in many cases.

Plastic can be made to do a lot of bending as well, and has advantages that it may actually return to original shape or close to it.. metal that bends will not do this.

Plastic can also be harder, and more prone to breakage.. hard plastic is typically not as durable or as good a choice as metal when used this way. But it is lighter, cheaper and not electrically conductive.

So nothing is perfect :)

My daily driver 1969 Echo CS-60S and my NIB 1980 60S same saw diff color. I also have a few other 1969's a few 1970's and a 1971. Echo started in 1965 and came to the US in Jan 1969...Bob

This actually made me do some digging..

From echo website.. : Global | ECHO

1963 --- The first ECHO chain saw, the CS-80, is released, making the beginning of the ECHO brand. MITI grants approval to affix the JIS mark on Kyoritsu manual and power sprayers, indicating they conform to the JIS standards.

1965 -- The famous ECHO CS-60 chain saw is introduced.An engineering classic that still today is a popular, reliable chain saw.

1971 -- Corporate name is changed from Kyoritsu Noki Company Limited to KIORITZ CORPORATION.The light-weight ECHO chain saw CS-302 is introduced-the first real professional small chain saw

1972 -- KIORITZ CORP. of AMERICA is established in Northbrook, Illinois.

Last edited:
I have been digging too and here is my post from a few weeks ago with the Echo history that i have from old papers from my dads dealership from 1970...Bob

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/160928.htm

Thanks a bit more detail.

Only item that stands out -- that is different than the Echo Corporate website may be : March 1969 Echo comes To America. Kyoritsu Noki SN Tags

The website says: 1972 -- KIORITZ CORP. of AMERICA is established in Northbrook, Illinois.

Now that does not specifically say that is when they came to America, only an assumption. But it is the first metion of America on their corporate timeline.

You have a LOT more info on chainsaw models.

One other item reading timeline.. were they actually called "Echo" prior to 1978?

Here is the complete timeline from their corp site:

1947 - Kyoritsu Noki Company Limited is founded on 6 September. A revolutionary manual duster for pest control and a new power duster-fogger are introduced..

1955 - The DM-Series of backpack blower misting and dusting units opens a new era in pest control.The first Kyoritsu DM-E type two-stroke engine is developed for DM-series units..

1956 - The first Kyoritsu speed sprayer revolutionizes domestic agriculture..

1957 - Kyoritsu Midget manual duster wins the Milan City Industrial Fair "Good Design" award. Kyoritsu speed sprayers revolutionize orchard farms in Japan..

1960 - Corporate stocks are offered for public subscription.Yokosuka plant wins the Japan Industrial Standard (JIS) award for quality.The first Kyoritsu brushcutter (Power Scythe) is developed..

1961 - Kyoritsu enters into a technical licence agreement with FMC of the U.S. for manufacturing John Bean speed sprayers and other related equipment..

1963 - The first ECHO chain saw, the CS-80, is released, making the beginning of the ECHO brand.MITI grants approval to affix the JIS mark on Kyoritsu manual and power sprayers, indicating they conform to the JIS standards..

1964 - Kyoritsu enters a licence agreement with Kloeckner- Humboldt-Deutz AG of Germany to produce air- cooled diesel powered tractors..

1965 - The famous ECHO CS-60 chain saw is introduced.An engineering classic that still today is a popular, reliable chain saw..

1966 - The new shoulder type straight-shaft brushcutter (Swing Scythe) is introduced..

1967 - The DM-9 is introduced, the benchmark leader in the backpack duster and mist sprayer industry..

1968 - Kyoritsu signs a contract with Canadian Curtis Wright Company of Canada for the export of two-stroke engines snowmobiles..

1970 - Kyoritsu revolutionizes outdoor cleaning and maintenance with its innovative backpack power blower, the PB-9..

1971 - Corporate name is changed from Kyoritsu Noki Company Limited to KIORITZ CORPORATION.The light-weight ECHO chain saw CS-302 is introduced-the first real professional small chain saw..

1972 - KIORITZ CORP. of AMERICA is established in Northbrook, Illinois..

1977 - Innovative ECHO weed and grass trimmer SRM- 140D is introduced..

1978 - Corporate name is changed from KIORITZ CORP. of AMERICA to ECHO, INCORPORATED..

1979 - The PB-200, the world's first hand-held power blower, is introduced..

1984 - KIORITZ R&D Laboratory is completed in the Tokyo Plant.The ten-millionth engine rolls off the line..

1990 - KIORITZ Headquarters moves to the new building in Ohme, Tokyo..

1992 - The separate lubrication brushcutter, SRM-343SL, wins the SIMA award in a Paris exposition..

1994 - KIORITZ is approved for ISO 9000 Series..

1995 - The twenty-millionth engine is produced..

1997 - KIORITZ CORPORATION celebrates its 50th Anniversary..

2000 - Brushcutter and PowerSprayer which equipped i-start in 2000 are put on
the market..

2001 - Gold Award to i-start at Urbavert 2001, France.

2001 - KIORITZ, Yokosuka factory is certified for ISO 14000 Series..

2003 - Achieved 30 million units of engine production in cumulative total..

2004 - KIORITZ ECHO Machinery Co. Ltd. is established in Shenzhen, China..

2005 - Achieved 35 million units of engine production in cumulative total..

2006 - U.S. subsidiary ECHO Inc. established a new company; Crary Industries Inc., and has taken over the whole business of "Bear Cat" brand garden & yard maintenance equipments from TerraMarc Corp., including other business fields..

2009 - Kioritz Corporation, having been operated under Yamabiko Corporation along with Shindaiwa Corporation. Merged into Yamabiko Corporation and launched a fresh start for the future..

Thanks a bit more detail.

Only item that stands out -- that is different than the Echo Corporate website may be : March 1969 Echo comes To America. Kyoritsu Noki SN Tags

The website says: 1972 -- KIORITZ CORP. of AMERICA is established in Northbrook, Illinois.

Now that does not specifically say that is when they came to America, only an assumption. But it is the first metion of America on their corporate timeline.

You have a LOT more info on chainsaw models.

One other item reading timeline.. were they actually called "Echo" prior to 1978?

Thats where its confusing. Echo actually had 3 or 4 different corp names over the years. I have the Chainsaw Age Magazine that says Echo comes to America in Mar 1969. They were avail in Japan years before but not over here. Yes they were called Echo from day one they just had a different corp name Echo was the brand model. I like to call them in different generations like the Kyoritsu Noki would be generation ones.
The CS-80S, CS-60S and the CS-100 generation one's
The models that end in 1's like the 301,451,602,701 would be generation two's
The models that were 1's now end in 2's 302,452,602,702 would be generation three's and those are the Kioritz saws.
Then the newer Kioritz Echos turned into Echo USA a few years later to whatever it is now...Bob

Thats where its confusing. Echo actually had 3 or 4 different corp names over the years. I have the Chainsaw Age Magazine that says Echo comes to America in Mar 1969. They were avail in Japan years before but not over here. Yes they were called Echo from day one they just had a different corp name Echo was the brand model. I like to call them in different generations like the Kyoritsu Noki would be generation ones.
The CS-80S, CS-60S and the CS-100 generation one's
The models that end in 1's like the 301,451,602,701 would be generation two's
The models that were 1's now end in 2's 302,452,602,702 would be generation three's and those are the Kioritz saws.
Then the newer Kioritz Echos turned into Echo USA a few years later to whatever it is now...Bob

Thanks. Good info.

Not my #1 favorite saw.. but for they price they do make decent equipment.

old skool - the 10-10. they frankensaw real well too - good parts from dead specimens graft good onto others.

then there's the craftman/poolon stuff. folks on this forum try to kill them but they won't die. Won't cut, but won't die. just happy to continue on in a blissful lameness. Like pulling the legs off from a daddy longlegs just to watch its rotund little torso writhe away by sheer force of will. dunno why but it is what it is.

I'd sure as heck like for you to show me something a Poulan won't cut!
Some of them even give some big old Husky's and Stihls a run for their money, if you don't believe me just ask Tri955 about it!!!:D

Mike

Lots of vote for the 044.

I can see why,

This one still runs... ;)
DSCN1985-1.jpg

Ok, maybe not this one... but they do seem to take a lot of abuse and keep right on cutting

...and cutting

....and cutting

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Pro Mac 10-10S

Are those any good? Found one in allegedly running shape, 60 clams plus shipping. Do those have a chainbrake, or just a knuckle duster? And they do an old school conventional rebuild, just a hone and ring(s)?

Another vote for the Stihl 038.

Big, heavy, slow and built like a tank!

I owned one for decades, and retrieved it from a dumpster and peiced it together from two others I found in their with it.

Pretty much indestructable, and dead solid reliable.......Cliff

Latest posts

Back