So whats the most durable saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with a harvester -

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/epSVSyvi6_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I vote Jonsereds 621. State of the art for it's time. I have one and my FIL has three that all start 3 pulls, every time.

Durability you ask? From my experience it's the 028, no question. I've seen them dropped 40-50 feet out of a tree or bucket and not even stop running. Witnessed one run over by a pick up truck (someone tried to use it as a wheel chock :bang:), cracked the rear handle, broke the air cleaner cover and bent the top handle, but it finished out the day stihl cutting. Had one try to commit suicide out of the tool box of the bucket truck on the interstate, scuffed up a bit and few non-crucial cracks but it was stihl serviceable. I could go on....

My runner up vote is also a Stihl, the 028's big brother....038.

I'm quite sure others have their own experiences, but that's mine.:cheers:

Simple answer look in the back of crummies. Loggers aint gonna use anything fragile that easily breaks. stihl 460,660s dominate crummies out here.

Yup. You see Stihl or Husky...very seldom anything else. That's a message in itself.

I've seen quite a few guys who make their living with a saw try out the odd-ball boutique brands but the saws usually don't make it in a real world work environment. They go back to Stihl or the top-of-the- line Huskies as soon as they can.

I'm with dingeryote and DavesMower&Saw. The XL-12, 10-10, and 041 Farm Boss are the cockroaches of chainsaws. Outright misuse and neglect, but they keep on truckin'. 028 and 250 are 1 step below. I see lots of ragged out, but running 028s around. There's lots of 250s, too, but their weight seems to have precluded heavy use in MI. Most of them that come around are actually quite cherry and have rode the pine more than they've cut it.

Mech harvesters are not tough. It relies on the entire excavator it is atached to to run. Lob one off a ledge like a 028 outta the bucket and see if it still works, LOL.

Last edited:
seems ALL of the 0 series pro saws are super tough!!!

026, 044, 046, 064, 066, etc .... all are super tough and durable !!!!

Very much agree. The old xl-12 and c series homelites were very durable also but these Stihls make quite a bit more more $ per hour and are very well worth depending on in comparison to anything I've experianced in chainsaws.

Back