Solo 647 worth putting some money into it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbas_son

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Again, I am new to the chainsaw stuff, but I'm getting into it! Anyway, I can get a Solo 647 for basically free, but it needs a bar and chain. Supposedly runs well.

I have already researched it here, and it looks like not too many folks like it. Seems it's unreliable and has coil issues? I guess a B and C would cost around 50 bucks- should I even bother?

Thanks for your opinions,
J.

It's the same saw as the Homelite 290/340. I've got a 290, my first saw, which I bought from the warehouse outside of Chicago as a refurb.

The thing was unreliable, to say the least. Ignitions are a problem, and the carb loosens up because the soft oem gasket takes a compression set after a while, causing the preload on the mounting bolts to drop and back out.

The muffler regularly falls of, and wunning at the recommended oil mix causes the spark arrestor to foul.

I like being aggravated so much that I bought a well used 340, which is the same saw with more displacement, and a second 340, with, surprise surprise, a loose carb and resulting burned piston.

I spent a couple of minutes over the past few days trying to get them started. No--go. Spark is missing in action again.

I've bought several saws since that first Solo (Homelike badged), and with the possible exception of a free Poulan 2150, every one has been more reliable.

Latest posts

Back