Some sawing, logging and skidding pics and videos ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, agreed, full chisel is like a roller coaster, it is really fast and really slow and not much stability inbetween. Possibly it works good for softwood cutters, but not oak, hickory and dirtyish wood or cutting low stumps.

I prefer system components that will be consistent and efficient and readiable long term, and I don't find that with Full Chisel, as when it get dull it just goes bad quickly and soon you have a crooked cutting chain or the sharp cutter edges are broken off and such. With Semi chisel, when it gets dull ...... it just cuts slower and slower, but it is quite gradual and consistent and readiable. If a loader on the landing or a skidder in the woods is breathing down your neck, then you can cut a few more cuts with semi and it won't ruin your day, it may not be the fastest at that point, but it will get through the log or tree ..... full chisel will just stop.... and for the one second extra speed you get from full chisel you end up with more sharpening and much shorter chain life (my findings).

Have a good one,

Sam

Exactly right!

Slam it looks like you do a lot of cutting like i do and ive been using semi chiesel chain from the day i first picked up a saw and love it. I used oregon lgx full chiesel for a while but it didnt put anymore trees on the landing.Stihl semi chisel is a good fast cutting chain and i dont see me using to much of anything else. Also i bought my first Gb bar yesterday so i will see how it works out for me im currentlly runing stihl an winsor bars. oh and good thread

What part of western ky are you in???

I live south of Paducah, KY.

Slam it looks like you do a lot of cutting like i do and ive been using semi chiesel chain from the day i first picked up a saw and love it. I used oregon lgx full chiesel for a while but it didnt put anymore trees on the landing.Stihl semi chisel is a good fast cutting chain and i dont see me using to much of anything else. Also i bought my first Gb bar yesterday so i will see how it works out for me im currentlly runing stihl an winsor bars. oh and good thread

I like GB bars. I don't know that I have gotten one in the last couple of years, and there are reports of some quality issues, but overall. I can't say one bad word about them. I just blew up the first tip on a GB bar and it is old and very used, the rail surface where the chain rides gets really hard and wears very long. I think they burr up at first and then get really hard or work harden. Just file or grind that burr off and your good to go for the next year .... at least.

For professional or production type of wood cutting, Stihl chain just can't be beat, period. I still had a loop or two of Carlton/Woodsman Pro and I had two saws with 20" bars and the Carlton/Woodsman Pro was easily sharpened five times more than the Stihl.

There is a loop of Stihl Full Skip Semi Chisel, on the 361 that Karen ran for 9 straight hours, bucking up skidded hardwood logs. I bucked up logs for 7 more hours with it on Thursday with the same loop, and for that week it was felling and topping trees and cutting off knots and spurrs. That chain easily has over half of its life, and I've only hit the rakers once or twice and it cuts very nicely. I know that Carlton or Oregon could not do that. They might be cheaper, but they last half as long. So all you do is become a chain, filing expert, instead of cutting wood, I have little interest in swapping chains that often.

Later,

Sam

I like GB bars. I don't know that I have gotten one in the last couple of years, and there are reports of some quality issues, but overall. I can't say one bad word about them. I just blew up the first tip on a GB bar and it is old and very used, the rail surface where the chain rides gets really hard and wears very long. I think they burr up at first and then get really hard or work harden. Just file or grind that burr off and your good to go for the next year .... at least.

For professional or production type of wood cutting, Stihl chain just can't be beat, period. I still had a loop or two of Carlton/Woodsman Pro and I had two saws with 20" bars and the Carlton/Woodsman Pro was easily sharpened five times more than the Stihl.

There is a loop of Stihl Full Skip Semi Chisel, on the 361 that Karen ran for 9 straight hours, bucking up skidded hardwood logs. I bucked up logs for 7 more hours with it on Thursday with the same loop, and for that week it was felling and topping trees and cutting off knots and spurrs. That chain easily has over half of its life, and I've only hit the rakers once or twice and it cuts very nicely. I know that Carlton or Oregon could not do that. They might be cheaper, but they last half as long. So all you do is become a chain, filing expert, instead of cutting wood, I have little interest in swapping chains that often.

Later,

Sam
I hope the gb bars work out good for me . also i was cutting timber around cape gerado missouri last spring summmer and fall working on the blown down trees .I like working down that way but it gets hot in the summer. Id say its about 20 degrees wormer there than it is here on average im in north east iowa were illinois and wisconsin meats along the missippi.

I live 15 miles south of Paducah and grew up in Fulton... Good country....

Now that sounds like fun. Maybe we will be off of 58 hour weeks by then. :cry:

I have about 5 trees to pull out tomorrow and clean up some trails and I'm done up there. I don't know when I'll move the machines to the new job. There is another hill job up here, but I'd rather do that river job before it starts raining this fall. The river looks to be down so nows the time. The timber buyer is checking his soft maple tie market and will let me know probably tomorrow.

Awesome pics Sam, I've never seen a landing around here with so much room.

Ah, you get good ones and bad ones. Lately here, I've been getting big ones that are pretty flat. That really helps, as you know.

I hope the gb bars work out good for me . also i was cutting timber around cape gerado missouri last spring summmer and fall working on the blown down trees .I like working down that way but it gets hot in the summer. Id say its about 20 degrees wormer there than it is here on average im in north east iowa were illinois and wisconsin meats along the missippi.

I started logging directly North of you in Ontario, WI and I logged walnut all over IA, western Ill and the east side of Nebraska. The bad thing about down here is in the winter you basically can't work, because the dirt can't figure out if it wants to freeze or thaw out and there is a constant stated of muddy grease for working on. Up by you it sure enough freezes and you can work all winter ........... but that has its bad moments too, LOL. I've worked in that -10 and -20 crap for awhile and it isn't fun. Over in Nebraska I didn't shut my Duramax off for about 10 days because it was just about always in the negatives, and some of the amish guys that I worked for weren't allowed (for religious reasons) or didn't wear proper clothes and they would just about freeze to death, so they sat in the warm truck, while the amish cutter and me cut and pulled walnuts ..... oh the fun, LOL.

Sam

I started logging directly North of you in Ontario, WI and I logged walnut all over IA, western Ill and the east side of Nebraska. The bad thing about down here is in the winter you basically can't work, because the dirt can't figure out if it wants to freeze or thaw out and there is a constant stated of muddy grease for working on. Up by you it sure enough freezes and you can work all winter ........... but that has its bad moments too, LOL. I've worked in that -10 and -20 crap for awhile and it isn't fun. Over in Nebraska I didn't shut my Duramax off for about 10 days because it was just about always in the negatives, and some of the amish guys that I worked for weren't allowed (for religious reasons) or didn't wear proper clothes and they would just about freeze to death, so they sat in the warm truck, while the amish cutter and me cut and pulled walnuts ..... oh the fun, LOL.

Sam
Im from dubuque have you been around here working? ive cut inweather so cold that after the logs sat on the landing over night the butts were cracked. Ill take the cold over the heat anyday.

Im from dubuque have you been around here working? ive cut inweather so cold that after the logs sat on the landing over night the butts were cracked. Ill take the cold over the heat anyday.

I haven't worked around there in about 3-4 years.

Sam

Karen bucking up some of the last of them this morning, I'm pulling the last few out with the Cable Skidder:
IMG_20100920_074357.jpg

I pulled about 12 of the last trees out this morning, while Karen bucked up a previous 10 by herself. She does all of her own chainsaw work except sharpening the chains.
IMG_20100920_085658.jpg

We had two little hickorys that were hung up, so I'm backing up to them and she is hooking the chokers and topping them.
IMG_20100920_101035.jpg

Here we pulled the second hickory up to the one we got just before that and left on the trail. Now Karen is hooking up the second tree for me to pull them both out and we are done.

Karen even powerwashed the Cable skidder by herself while I bucked up those last 12 and talked the new job over with the timber buyer.
Doesn't it look pretty, LOL.
I can probably pull bigger trees out now without having to carry all of that dirt and grease around, LOL.
IMG_20100920_122834.jpg

IMG_20100920_122848.jpg

This job is over and end of this week we should be starting a new, pretty good one.

Later,

Sam

Wow what a set up you have my, wife and I work extremely well together she cuts to,would love to have a set up like yours. You look like your rich beyond money as one timber faller I know describes it.:yourock:

You are a lucky man Slamm , you have a beautiful wife that works her butt off In the timber what else could you ask for! Im lucky to my wife works good with me helping load limbs etc, she has just never ran a saw much, at least not enough I can turn her loose!

Here is some photos of the smashed 441. I was cutting a large red oak off, really low and cut the hing a little to thin. The tree sat on my saw and I couldn't get it off of it, and I couldn't get the scrench on the bar nuts, because the saw was basically scraping the ground, in the cut. I cut the holding wood with the 361 and it all when wrong. I pulled on the 441 as the tree went down, but it was pinched hard the whole way down, then it rolled over onto it. New parts from the dealer are in the $380 range, for Handle bar, fuel tank and PTO or right side crankcase. In two years the only way, this 441 has be taken out of comission is by two trees falling onto it, and both times it will still start right up and run, but the handlebar is as inappropriate angles to work. I'm going to get a new one ported up and wait for some better deals to come along for buying replacment parts on this saw.
IMG_20100914_120015-1.jpg

IMG_20100914_120029-1.jpg

IMG_20100914_120046-1.jpg

Just that morning, I was telling Karen I wanted another 441 so I would have two, but this wasn't in my plan for how to get another one, LOL.

Sam

I must have one of your old 441s, LOL. This one was busted about the same but the handle is fine.:D All the A/V mounts are shot to he**.:dizzy:
attachment.php

Slamm, nice operation you have going there, maybe try laying the logs that need bucked up on some poles that way its a little easy to buck them without getting the chain near the dirt, thats what we do with our cherry and oak that the boss comes to the woods and marks out for us

Thanks for the good words, guys.

I must have one of your old 441s, LOL. This one was busted about the same but the handle is fine.:D All the A/V mounts are shot to he**.:dizzy:
attachment.php

LOL, I never could break anything on the 441, myself, but the trees sure could. Looks like your PTO side crankcase is broke too on that 441?

I think that replacement crankcase side was/is about $180, I'm going to get my 441 replaced/repaired.

I have a new 441R on the way to my saw builder right now we'll try some port work and such with it and get it to me, hopefully by mid-week next week, depending on saw arrival to him and his workload.

I've got a super fast 660 coming down in the next day or two to use on this new job. Its getting some Euro-carb deal installed on it. I think there is some large riverside timber on this job, and I'm going to cut with that 660 and probably a 28"bar until one of the 441's shows up. Then I'll use the 441's and start on this field of 18-20" soft maples that should just be plain fun to cut, we have something like a 100 acre cornfield to land the logs, so for the next week or so it should be a slaughterfest ............ er' I mean, I will be harvesting the timber in a rather timely fashion, LOL.

Tomorrow, I gotta go pressure wash the grapple skidder and the loader and push some cull logs into the field's edge and then figure on moving the machines.

Has anyone attempted to move two 540B's at one time on a step deck trailer or something similiar?

Both machines end to end makes for a 38 foot long load and I think they are 18,000-19,000 pounds together. They aren't any more than 10 feet tall. I have been hauling them one at a time, but was thinking about getting someone with a long trailer and having them just take both at one time.

Just wondering,

Sam

Thanks for the good words, guys.

LOL, I never could break anything on the 441, myself, but the trees sure could. Looks like your PTO side crankcase is broke too on that 441?

I think that replacement crankcase side was/is about $180, I'm going to get my 441 replaced/repaired.

I have a new 441R on the way to my saw builder right now we'll try some port work and such with it and get it to me, hopefully by mid-week next week, depending on saw arrival to him and his workload.

I've got a super fast 660 coming down in the next day or two to use on this new job. Its getting some Euro-carb deal installed on it. I think there is some large riverside timber on this job, and I'm going to cut with that 660 and probably a 28"bar until one of the 441's shows up. Then I'll use the 441's and start on this field of 18-20" soft maples that should just be plain fun to cut, we have something like a 100 acre cornfield to land the logs, so for the next week or so it should be a slaughterfest ............ er' I mean, I will be harvesting the timber in a rather timely fashion, LOL.

Yup, busted PTO side. The fuel tank is shot also, the area around the fuel cap had caught fire and melted it to no return.:dizzy: That 441 was part of a craigslist deal, got a 361 from the guy too. They had stripped the spark plug hole out by using a monster plug. The cylinder would be great for a 2 pc. head project. The owner was a douche to say the least, thought he was going to get alot of money for those turds also.:laugh:

Your 441 and 660 sound intresting. My other 441 is stock but the 660 is ported, that 660 is a beast. My main felling saw is a ported 044 w/ a 28" RW Oregon. Love that combo!:cheers:

Back