Someone please explain what chain guage is all about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeCo said:
Wouldn't the weight only affect how fast the chain could be accelerated?

It steady state cutting I wouldn't think weight would be much of a factor.

Dan

I don't know for sure, you could be right as long as you maintained constant chain speed in the cut. Decellerating (by overloading) and accelerating back to speed in the cut, I could see how this might be a factor.

It'd probably be difficult to test both setups under load since it would be difficult to replicate the same load. But it could be tested pretty easy I suppose with no load (not sure if that would be meaningful though). If someone had a tach and ran both setups on the same saw, I guess it might tell something. I don't have the tach to do it though. Might be interesting.
Cheers

coveredinsap said:
You seem to be missing the point. You don't wear the bar down to .080, you take a used, worn .063 bar and convert it by widening the groove to fit a .080 chain. Huge difference.

And my converted bar cuts just fine. Would I have bought a new bar if I could? Sure, but Mac bars in in .404 .063 aren't exactly growing on trees, and neither is .404 .058 chain.

.404 .058 must grow on trees 'cos I can get it... How many loops do you want?

058 to 063 isn't a big deal anyhow.. (5 thou) and wasn't what we were talking about. The discussion was plainly about using oversize chain in worn bars. You might have missed the point though...

Again, have you ever seen (other than by google) a harvester chain or bar Do you know the strap thickness? I think not.

You think a 0.080 would go around a sprocket tip? You might not have one, but most bars do.

How did you widen your groove? Your did say "restored" so that implies some level of precision. Machined out the hardened steel? That's the only way to get a nice parallel groove the depth of the tang. If you just levered it apart, well, what can I say... Maybe you were lucky and had a 5 thou wear already (but it's not parallel). Either way, the correct and simple process is to close the spread bar.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
.404 .058 must grow on trees 'cos I can get it... How many loops do you want?

058 to 063 isn't a big deal anyhow.. (5 thou) and wasn't what we were talking about. The discussion was plainly about using oversize chain in worn bars. You might have missed the point though...

Again, have you ever seen (other than by google) a harvester chain or bar Do you know the strap thickness? I think not.

You think a 0.080 would go around a sprocket tip? You might not have one, but most bars do.

How did you widen your groove? Your did say "restored" so that implies some level of precision. Machined out the hardened steel? That's the only way to get a nice parallel groove the depth of the tang. If you just levered it apart, well, what can I say... Maybe you were lucky and had a 5 thou wear already (but it's not parallel). Either way, the correct and simple process is to close the spread bar.

It's metal work, not rocket science.

<------Rocket Scientist.....I don't think I would undertake "modifying" a chainsaw bar to fit a chain gauge other than it was originally sold as. To much to chance, especially if the chain "rockets" off the bar because you didn't use enough "science" when modifying it.

CaseyForrest said:
<------Rocket Scientist.....I don't think I would undertake "modifying" a chainsaw bar to fit a chain gauge other than it was originally sold as. To much to chance, especially if the chain "rockets" off the bar because you didn't use enough "science" when modifying it.

:cheers: :sword: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I do not have a fact book to prove it but I figured the different guages came about in the old days with brand association. Everybody trying to be a little different. I do not know but I would like to. I am just glad I do not have to use the chain I see on the old Mercury saws.

CaseyForrest said:

But yet you don't think twice about punching holes in mufflers and other engine mods that exceed the engine specs the manufacturer designed the engine to.

Oh geeze. If the EPA would stay away, the manufactures would have the exhaust outlets the right size, but the EPA makes them shrink the hole to keep the gases in longer, so they burn more, and hotter. Not to mention Ive never heard of anyone losing a finger, or kneecap because of an opened up exhaust.

CaseyForrest said:
Oh geeze. If the EPA would stay away, the manufactures would have the exhaust outlets the right size, but the EPA makes them shrink the hole to keep the gases in longer, so they burn more, and hotter. Not to mention Ive never heard of anyone losing a finger, or kneecap because of an opened up exhaust.

Evidently you're not comfortable with metal work on bars, but are perfectly fine with exceeding the engine specs of chainsaws...for whatever the reason.

A man's got to know his limitations.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
:angry2:
Leave it be. Let it alone. You are both sucking the fun out of this thread as well as almost every other thread the both of you are in. Like old ladies at a cooking contest.

Justsaws said:
Leave it be. Let it alone. You are both sucking the fun out of this thread as well as almost every other thread the both of you are in. Like old ladies at a cooking contest.

Did I miss something?????

Justsaws said:

Well then....I never!!! If you dont like it, dont read it.

I was having a little fun..I did not bring up "changing saw engine specs." I merely responded to it....I dont see how I or coveredinsap broke any rules, so stop ?????ing.

CaseyForrest said:
coveredinsap, lets try to do this without pissing justsaws off. Ill start a new thread, and we can piss on one another there.

Fair enough. But I'd rather just discuss it rationally without resorting to urine.

Irrespective of the attempted derail into "engine spec's and mufflers", you still haven't answered the basic question of how your metalworking skills were used to increase the bar groove width, and how you'd propose to do that to accommodate 080 harvester chain....

Back