Spanked this Silver.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch, the pic had me think removal and then I was like, "Why would he trim the tips off if he is gonna remove it?" Now I realize it was a pruning.:dizzy:

There is a lot of this practiced down by Ghillie, near Delaware, Ohio. It looks so bad in the winter.

Anyways, that 'yota is the sh!t. I can't believe the shape it is in. My buddy has a 93 and it has a ton of rust and dents, but still running, driving, braking and pulling strong at 250K. That is with the 6 cylinder too, which provides ample power for the truck.

Yeah dan, are you a hatracker too?? I think thats what limbwalker was getting at?

I have hack racked a million and a half maple from here to timbuktu, all under the command of the client! the whole time doing it they say " Lower, lower, please." Frank Fantini over at Advanced told me to put my spikes on ( although he could tell I didn't need to).

I will go get some pics of these maples The Dan has hammered. None from the time I did work at Advanced cause ya'll know what they look like. These will be from my " my point of view". Give me some time to get over to take the pics of these trees I did in the spring. you can get as brutal as you want then.

I have hack racked a million and a half maple from here to timbuktu, all under the command of the client! the whole time doing it they say " Lower, lower, please." Frank Fantini over at Advanced told me to put my spikes on ( although he could tell I didn't need to).

I will go get some pics of these maples The Dan has hammered. None from the time I did work at Advanced cause ya'll know what they look like. These will be from my " my point of view". Give me some time to get over to take the pics of these trees I did in the spring. you can get as brutal as you want then.
Thats kind of bad dude. Don't you care about your company - don't get me wrong, its funny too... I learned from some really good people right from the beginning so I never really did hatracks...ok maybe waaay back in FL, but just a couple. It was fun at the time, it sure beat that hide your cuts reduction thing we did every day normally. They made us cover up the lettering on the doors with teeshirts for the rackin and we probably smoked some funny cigs too, lol.

synchronicity

I was going to start a thread to post pics of improper pruning we've seen (hopefully not done ourselves).. Looks like those pics could be the thread starter..

Thats kind of bad dude. Don't you care about your company - don't get me wrong, its funny too... I learned from some really good people right from the beginning so I never really did hatracks...ok maybe waaay back in FL, but just a couple. It was fun at the time, it sure beat that hide your cuts reduction thing we did every day normally. They made us cover up the lettering on the doors with teeshirts for the rackin and we probably smoked some funny cigs too, lol.

I said you have to wait to get brutal. So wait. comments like " don't you care about your company?"are off base. I am letting you know that much right now.
I just started taking pics this very year so I have to go take the pics to show you.
Here is one... oh my god!... I did when I was 22 working at Scott Hornbakers outfit, right outside Chestnut Hill. He was ISA but the canker sore who owned the tree wasn't. I have yet to see a spruce die from this but have seen plenty like it snap. I would not really ever recomend doing this if you didn't have to...

toppedspruce.jpg

I stopped beleiving anything Scott said pretty quick ( save for when he said Kevin was a liablilty). You know the guy who broke his hip freeclimbing?

That pic is really bad. I look like a ghost in the top of it. Pic was taken 1 and 1/2 years into my illustrious carrer. I had later, many years later, started a small tree service in his area other than the work I did with my old trucks.
My partner withdrew so we just stopped doing business after one year. We both knew it was a pipe dream espicially if we both were not going to WORK on it. I just let it go, didn't phase nor slow me down, neither did Scott. Did ya?

Last edited:
Come on now, in their defense, it looks like a poor attempt at an extreme reduction. Most I see around here they cut all the brush off. They could have done much worse! Reductions on large trees like these can be a difficult task. A couple cuts like the one furthest left show hope.

The sad part is the tree doesn't even look that big. The trunk doesn't look that bad. I don't see any buildings nearby, I imagine the house is behind the camera. People actually think topping like this is tree maintenance because driving around its the only tree work they notice. Because it's such an eyesore.

It sucks when you try to explain proper pruning to customers and they just keep talking hack speak like they didn't even hear you. Gotta love the point and shoot trim jobs: I want that limb cut off and that one and that one....

Nails sure is batty for posting it though, at least people will learn exactly what not to do. :deadhorse:

I'm back, had a doe at 25 yards and saw a small buck. No shooters steppin up yet.

Anyway, the lady says to my dad, "you guys know this stuff better than I do", so he says, " I wouldn't touch it, it's fine", she says, "cut it at 25 feet".

Climber gets into the tree to cut and she's yelling "lower, lower", 3 cuts later and he had the height she wanted!

I guess she was all smiles and praise the whole time and the check cleared so what ya gonna do.

And ya, that tree was mint, no real hazzard of any kind.

Ouch, the pic had me think removal and then I was like, "Why would he trim the tips off if he is gonna remove it?" Now I realize it was a pruning.:dizzy:

There is a lot of this practiced down by Ghillie, near Delaware, Ohio. It looks so bad in the winter.

Anyways, that 'yota is the sh!t. I can't believe the shape it is in. My buddy has a 93 and it has a ton of rust and dents, but still running, driving, braking and pulling strong at 250K. That is with the 6 cylinder too, which provides ample power for the truck.

Thanks man, I only have 156K on it, it has the V6, great truck with good power. I've had it for 8 years.

ouch!! Probably should have kept that one in the personal archives. I have been in that exact situation before with customers, it sucks to walk away from a job knowing you have done more harm then good at the customers request. Why post pics of this??:dizzy: :dizzy:

I just put it up as a conversation piece. I feel any pics of real world treework are valuable input for the forum.

Gotcha, I guess what I meant was, What was you preception of the job pre- thread? Were you expecting criticism? or a thumbs up? Most of us are here to learn and share knowledge when applicable so there is no shame in learning from mistakes (IF YOU LEARN). So did you know better? Not trying to bust your balls. :cheers:

Gotcha, I guess what I meant was, What was you preception of the job pre- thread? Were you expecting criticism? or a thumbs up? Most of us are here to learn and share knowledge when applicable so there is no shame in learning from mistakes (IF YOU LEARN). So did you know better? Not trying to bust your balls. :cheers:

Yeah I new many would b1tch, some would go :monkey:, and other's would see it for what it was and laugh. If you look back you will see where my dad told the lady that he recommended not to touch it at all, as you see that's not how it ended up. I hear about it all the time on here, many admit it happens, well here it is first hand.

I didn't get there until it was almost over, and I perceived it just how I titled it, "man, you guys spanked that thing, lol". I knew better than to overstep my bounds since it wasn't my call, the owner was clear.

Last edited:
Yeah I new many would b1tch, some would go :monkey:, and other's would see it for what it was and laugh. If you look back you will see where my dad told the lady that he recommended not to touch it at all, as you see that's not how it ended up. I hear about it all the time on here, many admit it happens, well here it is first hand.

I didn't get there until it was almost over, and I perceived it just how I titled it, "man, you guys spanked that thing, lol". I knew better than to overstep my bounds since it wasn't my call, the owner was clear.

What do you mean the owner was clear? Did he say " you better not make fun of my tree?" Then evrybody has to stifle?
Oh I saw it imediatly for what is was, is and will ever be. I NPFed it til I heard about the freeclimbing thing then went all over you like...
Funny thing, when I put up the pic of the locust my neighbor notched towards his house all the non-toppers said it was fine!

The job is getting home.

Every tree you cut is advertising to everyone who sees it for the (now greatly shortened) life of the tree.

Its a great conversation piece for your competition when they are bidding against you on jobs ie "you know that birch that was hacked outside old mrs X's place, thats the kind of work THEY do."

Or with your potential clients "Do you know any good arborists?" "No, but I know who not to call, you know that birch outside mrs X's place?"

Or for your current clients "They did that? thats terrible, Im glad they didnt do that to my trees, they must have some dodgy new staff, I might call around for my next quote."

So congrats! Im sure you competition are stoked with your work.

Back