Spanked this Silver.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do a lot of topping. We work in an area with views and people want to have the view but keep their privacy. I just look at it as really big hedges. I tell them what would be best, then they tell me what they want, I do what they want, they pay me, I go home.

We do a lot of topping. We work in an area with views and people want to have the view but keep their privacy. I just look at it as really big hedges. I tell them what would be best, then they tell me what they want, I do what they want, they pay me, I go home.

In these situations, we have a lot of them in our lake areas, and on the Lake Michigan bluff, to basal cut and maintain as a coppice. Periodically remove tallest stems of basal regeneration when the get close to occluding lines of site.

I use line of site because so many have taken Vista Pruning and abused it to clear cutting entire swaths. In areas that regulate removals, they strip the trees up high with the intent of removing dieback at a latter date when it is legal.

Coppice management allows the the practitioner to assist a cyclical client in a more sustainable fashion, an the cut tops can be lain transverse, in a false-wattle, to the slope to help control erosion. One can add to this by planting understory species in these "organic catchments" to further hold the soild together. I've seen them turn into small terraces over time.

I was a little disappointed with Nails topping job. Too much firewood left on the job. Just think how much firewood could have been harvested if another 50 feet would have been taken off! What a waste of good firewood!

Just looked at a linden tree someone wanted to retop into the shape of a drum, its about 15' tall and they want it 3' shorter all the way around.
Really gotta work on that camera thing, I know.

All wood and no leaves beyond about 3' in, not surprizing right!
"Round-over", thats what we used to call the light hatracks in FL.
This is sort of a drumover, lol.
Seriously though, I have to do something probably sinse its my best account, any ideas? I think I'll drop crotch the woodier ends to thin it and then shape whats left with handsaw, lopers and handsnips.
What a pita. Any suggestions? I also told them it may have to be done in stages to get it smaller, and to get that lovely drum shape back.

Just looked at a linden tree someone wanted to retop into the shape of a drum, its about 15' tall and they want it 3' shorter all the way around.
Really gotta work on that camera thing, I know.

All wood and no leaves beyond about 3' in, not surprizing right!
"Round-over", thats what we used to call the light hatracks in FL.
This is sort of a drumover, lol.
Seriously though, I have to do something probably sinse its my best account, any ideas? I think I'll drop crotch the woodier ends to thin it and then shape whats left with handsaw, lopers and handsnips.
What a pita. Any suggestions? I also told them it may have to be done in stages to get it smaller, and to get that lovely drum shape back.

Bongo? Tymble? Snare? could you be a little more specific?
Oh just get some pics allready.

Just trying to get back to normal again dan. That last topic sucked, lol.
Don't worry, I'm gonna be on the camera thing soon I hope. All things in due
time I guess. I really cant do justice to my thoughts without one, lol.
I'm gonna be sick with that camera dan, dont you worry.

hey tman. the song is from cypress hill man!

Who? What? Sonny, I can't see a thing with out my glasses.

Yeah, I was kinda upset over this whole thing too... my membrane really hurts, its driving me uhm, crazy?
Hard to beleive kids out there still doing that.

Latest posts

Back