Spark arrestor...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It used to be #2 or #3 on my list. After checking everything but a vac/press. test and sending my 211 to Tommy for a "no power" condition, it turned out to be the screen.:laugh: So now, it gets checked first.:bang:

Won't happen on my 211 again, she is now muff modded.:rockn:

btw Ed, sell those 2 red headed step children and get a real saw. You did good on the 076, keep in that direction.:D

If I see your saw being run in our woods with no spark arrestor during fire season, you get to go home early. Maybe you get to go fishing instead of cutting wood or logging.

No such laws here, we can cut anywhere any time with what we want and no chainsaw police either. If it ever gets that bad on this side I will move up with John and finish out my cutting days. I get to go fishing when I want without any Green uniforms telling when to. LOL
Pioneerguy600

It used to be #2 or #3 on my list. After checking everything but a vac/press. test and sending my 211 to Tommy for a "no power" condition, it turned out to be the screen.:laugh: So now, it gets checked first.:bang:

Won't happen on my 211 again, she is now muff modded.:rockn:

btw Ed, sell those 2 red headed step children and get a real saw. You did good on the 076, keep in that direction.:D

I do have another Stihl making its way into the stable. Seems like I only get 30 min a week to work on things since we added a girl to the family 3 months ago, but I've been working on converting an FS120 into an FS250. Tommy has been awesome with advice, specs, and help finding parts. Not a saw, but I'll risk a thread once I get it back together. Might even get to run it today if the kids keep napping long enough!

As for redheads, I've got a seized Jred 630 and a 272 P&C that have been collecting dust for quite some time, so the next saw is going to be even redder if I ever get a chance to work on it.

Of course, if you are worried about saving my soul, I do accept donated creamsicles!

I do have another Stihl making its way into the stable. Seems like I only get 30 min a week to work on things since we added a girl to the family 3 months ago, but I've been working on converting an FS120 into an FS250. Tommy has been awesome with advice, specs, and help finding parts. Not a saw, but I'll risk a thread once I get it back together. Might even get to run it today if the kids keep napping long enough!

As for redheads, I've got a seized Jred 630 and a 272 P&C that have been collecting dust for quite some time, so the next saw is going to be even redder if I ever get a chance to work on it.

Of course, if you are worried about saving my soul, I do accept donated creamsicles!

:laugh:, don't have any I would be willing to donate. I did give a echo 346 away though, not any room for those here.

We have a univent 272 on one of the fire trucks, it has been a solider for sure.
:cheers:

If I see your saw being run in our woods with no spark arrestor during fire season, you get to go home early. Maybe you get to go fishing instead of cutting wood or logging.

Same here. Even for home woodcutters you'll get fined.

that's just in the crazy PNW. Many European saws don't even come with screens. No such laws in my neck of the woods either and its way drier than the soggy coast

I have actually caught bark alight with hot exhaust gas in a long cut even with a spark arrestor and also lit a small fire (quickly extinguished) from some glowing woodchips that floated out of my 7900's muffler bolt holes.
Screens are there for a reason although not everybody may need them where they live. Where I am you'd be an idiot not to have them and a risk as well.

That's the first thing I check on every saw we get. Then never have to worry with um again take um out an chunk um in the drawer on the saw table.

I just pull the spark screen when the saw starts loosing power or if I pull the muffler. Then I burn the screen and clean it.

Don't ever throw away the screen, it is an embedded safety system and is required on Fed and some State land. It is their to prevent a fire. My 090 has a stock muffler. I have been bucking a bid fir tree I dropped a few months ago for firewood. I have to use every inch of its 4' bar and almost every bucking cut starts a fire in the bark. Neither my 394XP nor my MS660 ever start a fire. Both have screened exhaust ports.Suppresion costs on large wildland fires run about a million dollars per day. Think about it.

Nice saws there Ed,, now get rid of that creamsickle and get a real saw.. :)

Damn...won't let me rep you!

I'd love to run a 2100 some day, but that 076 is a beast. I'm getting ready to see how it'll pull a with 42" bar in a thick blowdown oak.

Does it hurt anything just to remove it and not use one at all? I just bought a used Husqvarna 326L and pulled it apart to clean it and give it a tune up and I noticed that the spark arrestor was somewhat clogged up. I removed it and cleaned it up, but then just left it out. Will it hurt the engine by not having it in there? I can't see where it would, but I am not positive. Next thing I would like to do is to mod the cat muffler on that thing! :chainsaw:

The name says it all. It's there to reduce chances of setting the woods on fire. Like, when you build up deposits in the exh. port from lots of oil, rich mixture, cold running etc., and suddenly get it running right under full load. Then it starts blowing glowing chunks, which nestle in those dry leaves.
Apparently USFS is involved in approving arrestors.
Some states (ME is one) forbid running c/s without arrestor in your own woods.
I've a 30-yr-old Poulan 3400 with an arrestor that's like new. Always used 50:1 synthetic and avoided excessive richness.

Always used 50:1 synthetic and avoided excessive richness.

I've avoided excessive richness too. Avoided any kind of richness for that matter. Hell, I barely make the bills most months.

I am getting off topic a bit, but many of you mentioned the safety of the spark arrestor. I recently got a Dolmar 5105 with the cat converter in the exhaust, and the muffler seems to run a lot hotter than a non-cat saw. I once brushed it with my glove, and it just melted instantly and started burning. Do you guys see this as a safety risk?

I have heard it is possible to retrofit a non-cat exhaust off a 5100. Any idea of the best way to get one?

44 Husky

Usually the last thing i check..
then i can call myself :censored: dummy even more !!
i have found a lot on saws i take in,not on mine.. cant run just one long enough for that to happen..
Do you have a 44 Husky for sale? I've been wanting one since I lost mine from a divorce in '87! My wife and I go up to N.H. about every 2 weeks for tax free goods. Getting a 44 has been a dream for a long time! Bob (Cheeves)

Latest posts

Back