Spark plug help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just browsing through the lawn and garden section of Home Depot today when I came across the spark plugs. Thinking that I did not have any replacements for my Stihl 025, I quickly looked up the cross reference in the Champion manual. I purchased the plug, and when I got home, I noticed that the plug that I bought and the one that my local Stihl dealer where selling me were not the same. So, out came the owners manual.

Now, my owners manual does not list a Champion plug... so now I am really confused...

My owners manual lists either a Bosch WSR6F or NGK BPMR7A.

My Stihl dealer has been selling me a Champion CJ8Y

The cross reference manual lists a Champion RCJ6Y

Which one is correct??? And how much do they differ?

I fit zillions of the Bosch and NGK plugs.. Not sure why - they almost never fail... but got to take them out to check how the the saw was running, and at 85c each what the hell. I use used plugs in my saws :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a shoe box full of new plugs that came out of customer units that were scrapped. People will put a new plug in to try "fixing" their mower, saw whatever before taking it to the shop. No oil, full tank of gas and the recoil won't pull. It probably just needs a new plug, right?

Has anybody seen those cheepie E3 plugs? I've seen hundreds of them but I've never seen one in anything that ran.

Anybody have trouble with the Champion plugs? After hearing A LOT of horror stories with Champions in marine applications, I won't touch 'em.

imo ngk is the best plug around, wouldnt touch champion plugs with a ten feet pole...

I switched to Champion over Bosch several years back. I was at a Stihl dealership then, and several treecutters were coming in and buying several
plugs at a time. I switched to Champion and their problems cleared up.
Also, sticking with one brand is a lot easier inventory wise.
I just use Champion with no problems.

It's my idea that spark-plugs are more sensitive to heat range then brand. The reason for early failure is usually not the fault of the Brand or the plug, but something else, and that is usually conductive deposits on the porcelain grounding the electrode through the base, instead of bridging the gap.

There is a chance that Fish suggest that Champion's CJ7Y runs a tad hotter then Bosch's WSR6F, and that the Bosch , and may have slightly more porous porislen then the Champion?

Just the gas blend, from one area to the next could make use of a slightly hotter plug. Carb settings a tad on the rich side, may tend to aid in fouling plugs, but be more safe for the cylinder and piston. Better the plug then the jug.

Here is a trivia question: What will start better on a very cold morning, a hot or cooler heat range plug? For the test, a new out of the box plug, same saw, same temperature, same plug-gap, a hotter plug like a CJ8Y or a WSR6F ?

Gravely Grinch said:
I have a shoe box full of new plugs that came out of customer units that were scrapped. People will put a new plug in to try "fixing" their mower, saw whatever before taking it to the shop. No oil, full tank of gas and the recoil won't pull. It probably just needs a new plug, right?

Has anybody seen those cheepie E3 plugs? I've seen hundreds of them but I've never seen one in anything that ran.

Ha!!!! Happens to me EVERY DAY... often the other way around... "No, I don't need my saw serviced, just sell me a plug". They take it out back, fit it, pull until the recoil breaks, and then bring it back in...:)

Best overall plug

So what is everyone's preference on plugs? On higher rpm saws, i.e. my newer ones over 12000 rpm's, I'd think the Bosch's. ON the older 10000 rpm saws, I'd think champion etc... would be fine eh? What do ya'll think? And how bout like the splitfire plugs?? How do they rate? Or do they?

GASoline71 said:
NGK's in everything I own.:rock: From saws, mowers, dirt bikes, to my trucks. Never had a plug related problem.

Gary

X2, for everything I can get them for except Autolite or motorcraft in the truck ONLY, long story.
Andy

When the tip comes off a champion plug and wipes out your saw like happened to me. No more campions. ever

"The only thing a Champion plug fits is the trash can."

A true quote from a local small engine shop.

Latest posts

Back