Speeco 3pt splitter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil_Marino

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi. all. I'm new to the forum.. I've been heating our house with wood ( Quadrafire stove) for about 5 years, and splitting everything by hand. Now, I'm putting together an electric splitter using the Speeco 3 pt as the business end, and an electric motor ( 6 HP) and Speeco 11 GPM pump that are inside the garage ( hoses go through the back wall to the splitter).

My question is this : the Speeco splitter manual warns against using a tractor with more than 3200 psi hydraulic pressure. This makes it sound like the Speeco splitter valve might not have a pressure relief valve built in. Since my motor/pump could put out a LOT of pressure if the splitter stalled on a tough log, I'm worried about breaking things (hoses, pump, the splitter itself) if there's no pressure relief somewhere in the system.

Anyone know if the Speeco 3 pt splitter valve ( Energy valve) comes with built-in pressure relief? The manual that comes with the splitter doesn't say, and I haven't been able to find an Energy valve website.

Thanks

Speeco weighs in

All of our splitter valves have a pressure relief built in. The pressure relief on our 3pt. splitter valve is set at 3200 psi. Constantly using a tractor with higher pressure, could cause the O-rings in the valve to fail frequently causing leaks. It's ok though, because there are very few tractors out there that I have heard of that use more than 3000 psi. Most are in the 2000 to 3000 range.

Latest posts

Back