Speeco 4 way wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesconley1962

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am thinking on buying one of these for my 22 ton Husky, Speeco 4 way wedge for 22t-25t only to use with straight grain rounds, has anyone used one of these before and if so; what’s your thoughts on it are.

Still Evaluating

I am thinking on buying one of these for my 22 ton Husky, Speeco 4 way wedge for 22t-25t only to use with straight grain rounds, has anyone used one of these before and if so; what’s your thoughts on it are.

I've had one a couple of weeks, but ain't ready to comment yet. We're still getting to know one another! :smile2:

ken

You want my opinion? The thing is useless and a waste of money. Why? The idiot that designed this thing has never split a chunk of wood in his life.

Namely, the wings are so short they do nothing more than create a horizontal crack and rarely actually "split" the piece into four pieces. Sure, I can see they built the thing so that it will pass back through the log stripper, but the whole point of a four way head is to split four pieces at a shot, and the way this thing works now its pointless.

About the only thing this thing is good for is if you are splitting small rounds, say 12 inches or less, and you want to make up a bunch of small stuff or kindling. Then it works great. But its pretty rare I have stuff less than twelve inches and even more rare that I need 6 cords of kindling.

The only solution is to weld extensions to the wings.Sure, I know it wont pass back through the log stripper, but this still will allow a guy to split rounds that are 20 inches long which is fine with me. At least with the longer wings the thing will make using it useful. As soon as I get some time, it will be parked in front of the welding machine. But as it stands right out of the box, its pointless.

I'm on my second one already. I'm using it on a speeco 25 ton unit. Like mentioned above it does have its limits but it did work on the straight red oak and maple I've been trying it on. Luckily this red oak/maple splits open completly most of the time even with the short wings. The first 4 way wedge I had didn't even make it thru one cord, one wing started to roll back from the cutting edge, not long after that I retracted the wedge only to find most of that rolled wing fractured right off! The exposed fracture had some really grainy poor looking metal(China's best steel I'm sure). I was able to swap it for a different one at the farm store and so far that one hasn't shown any wear and its coming up on its first cord. Time will tell. Sure its limited in use but I've had some use from it to make it benefical. If it didn't just drop on and off I never would of bought one.

4way

all i know is my 4 6 way on my tw6 kicks not for notty croches and such but it does put out the wood good luck

If it didn't just drop on and off I never would of bought one.

We may have some confusion here, I think the OP was asking about the new style 4-way that replaces the original wedge, not the original slip on one. That's what I was responding to anyway, maybe I misunderstood.

Ken

I'm on my second one already. I'm using it on a speeco 25 ton unit. Like mentioned above it does have its limits but it did work on the straight red oak and maple I've been trying it on. Luckily this red oak/maple splits open completly most of the time even with the short wings. The first 4 way wedge I had didn't even make it thru one cord, one wing started to roll back from the cutting edge, not long after that I retracted the wedge only to find most of that rolled wing fractured right off! The exposed fracture had some really grainy poor looking metal(China's best steel I'm sure). I was able to swap it for a different one at the farm store and so far that one hasn't shown any wear and its coming up on its first cord. Time will tell. Sure its limited in use but I've had some use from it to make it benefical. If it didn't just drop on and off I never would of bought one.

Which Farm store, of the shelf or did you have to order it?

We may have some confusion here, I think the OP was asking about the new style 4-way that replaces the original wedge, not the original slip on one. That's what I was responding to anyway, maybe I misunderstood.

Ken

Ken your right I didn't read the post link good enough! :bang:

To to OP I got the slip on wedge at Fleet Farm, they had both slip ones available 22-28 ton & 30-35 ton. But that is only the slip on 4 way wedge and it was $60. I did not see the other style speeco sells that converts the wedge on the beam. They also sell the rack holder for $50 and that has been the most handy for me.

Back