speeco/huskie 22 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstemple

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would anyone with a speeco/huskie 22 ton splitter tell me if it can be towed at about 55mph for about 100 miles. The specs say high speed tires.

The splitter has no suspension. You shouldn't tow it at all, frankly. It should go in a trailer. Otherwise you run the real risk of it bouncing all over the place, cracking the tank to which the spindles are welded, and whatnot.

I don't know why everybody seems to want to tow their splitters everywhere, but it seems like a damned silly idea to me.

Definitely not recommended. Has it been done, Yes, is it safe, NO.

The problem is that the splitter usually can not be seen behind the tow vehicle. People that towed splitters have been told by drivers behind them that the splitter spent a lot of time with it's wheels off the ground. This puts a lot of stress on components especially when the spindles are welded to the hydraulic tank.

No equipment should be towed at speeds over 30 mph unless it is equipped with suspension. Even 30 mph may be to fast on some roads if you can't see what happening to the item being towed.

Race tires don't make a race car.

that's why i opted for leaf springs on mine.

never a problem at any speed.

but, i'd do as suggested: roll it onto another trailer for that distance.

I have a speeco, towed it home from the store, but in the 4 years I've owned it:

What they ^^^^^^^ all said, put it in/on a trailer, in the back of the truck, it isn't that hard, I do it by myself, but 100 miles, um it's not designed for that kind of heat in the little piddly axle stubs welded to the tank, you crack that baby and you'll be SOL. Not to mention all the slippery hydraulic fluid you'll spill on the road, creating a hazardous condition for which you could be liable.

You should be able to rent a cheap flat bed trailer with sides for $20 or so, for a 24 hour period. And be able to bring some wood home.

If you can use u-haul, they allow one-way usage, so you don't have to worry about the 24hr rental period.

Getting off soapbox now.

Last edited:
that's why i opted for leaf springs on mine.

never a problem at any speed.

but, i'd do as suggested: roll it onto another trailer for that distance.

Hmmm, wonder if speeco would offer a suggestion on how to modify mine, I've a pair of new, matched, 1000# leaf springs that would fit the bill nicely.

May have to wander over to the splitter build off thread for more insight.....:monkey:

NO... that being said, purchased my 35 ton huskie from a TSC 75 miles from home.

yes, I towed it, but I went much slower....

key is how smooth your road is. danger is from hitting potholes/bumps and flipping over splitter. tires are rated for highway speeds, but no way is it safe to tow at freeway speeds.

backing up is difficult at best. splitter is all but invisible, unless tailgate is down. best to trailer splitter or load inside pickup bed.

Would anyone with a speeco/huskie 22 ton splitter tell me if it can be towed at about 55mph for about 100 miles. The specs say high speed tires.

happy with huskee?

I'm looking at the same machine. Are you happy with it? Have you had any issues.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Any input would be great.

I'm looking at the same machine. Are you happy with it? Have you had any issues.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Any input would be great.

No issues, unstoppable, slowable, but unstoppable.

Changes? faster cycle time would be nice, hydraulic bypass for manual starting in cold weather would help alot, and the coup de grace...ability to swap wedge/plate for extended production splitting in horizontal mode so as to better accomodate a table extension and four way.

Now, for $900 out the door, it will take care of business for many, many years(cords).

thanks everyone, I won't tow it so now I can buy a trailer which when I get it up to the property I can tow behind my Kubota rtv900 to bring in a larger load of wood. The higher productivity means I should buy an owb. It's amazing how one tool begets another: a concept that my wife seems to have difficulty with, not of course to make it a gender issue. Now I watched the utube video of a backhoe splitter so do I get the backhoe first or the splitter attachment.

Latest posts

Back