Spencer tape question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use a 75' Spencer tape box with a 50' tape and wind the spring tight. Run in the Modified class for tape races.

That's what I alwasys ran until this past December's -5 below killed my tape. It was from circca 1982-84 I believe. Good tape, strong and reliable. I liked a 75 with the guts of a 50, they roll up smooth.

I'll have to see if they still make the 100 footers. I have a 75 but because of the dent:bang:it only goes out to 60 something. How fast would a 50 in a 100 be, I wonder......hmmmmmm. Is tape racing to be and event at the GTG?

And yes, you have to have the nail on the end to be authentic. It is part of the challenge. Takes skill and courage. Maybe a few bandaids.:laugh:

And yes, you have to have the nail on the end to be authentic. It is part of the challenge. Takes skill and courage. Maybe a few bandaids.:laugh:

I have a few nicks and cuts on my arms, hands, and fingers from the nail bouncing off my skin.

Also, you should go with the electricians tape on the first 5 inches of your tape. It will keep the end from getting sucked up and twisted around wrong. Start just below your nail, and give it some really nice tight wraps down to 5 inches. Some guys go more or less, I like 5 just fine.

Along with the taped up end, another trick is to put one wrap of electritian's tape around it at your most comon measurement's. 8'6", 10'6", 12'6" etc., mine's marked out to 41'. Keep's me from having to think too much.:dizzy:

Andy

do you guys use the baileys nail (or a cheap knock off)? or somthing else on the end of your tape? i havent had good luck with the baileys nail, so far i have liked the quick release hook they have, but everywhere ive been is outa stock. :mad:

do you guys use the baileys nail (or a cheap knock off)? or somthing else on the end of your tape? i havent had good luck with the baileys nail, so far i have liked the quick release hook they have, but everywhere ive been is outa stock. :mad:

Horseshoe nails. For us timber cruisers, we like a nice bend in the nail so the tape stays hooked to the standing tree.

I don't use a laser, yet.

Horseshoe nails. For us timber cruisers, we like a nice bend in the nail so the tape stays hooked to the standing tree.

I don't use a laser, yet.

Yep, horseshoe nails for me.
I tried one of the quick release things, but I couldn't get used to re-setting it after every time I pulled the tape out of the log.

Andy

I like my nail to be free, start the tape just below it where it bends around the metal end. I ususally get little permenant kinks around my desired lenghts.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15451&catID=

this is the quick release nail. it doesnt stick into frozen wood verywell but a little tap with a felling wedge sets it firm enough to pull on. in thawed wood it pushes in easy. then when you tug on it it straigtens out to 180 degrees so it winds in without catching on things. my tape came with the baileys nail but it either wasnt stuck in hard enough, or it was stuck to hard, i couldnt seem to find the middle ground.

Use a 75' Spencer tape box with a 50' tape and wind the spring tight. Run in the Modified class for tape races.

That is what I call a Flasher tape. Do you know of anyone who still sells 75' tapes?

I don't think car wax will help much with the pitch. It does not stop it from sticking to my car.
CLP (militaty cleaning, lubricating, and protective fluid with teflon) sure speeds things up.

I used the spencer 75 and love (them) , the idiot I had working for me ruined 2 of them by being an idiot! But they are very good tools.

That is what I call a Flasher tape. Do you know of anyone who still sells 75' tapes?

I don't think car wax will help much with the pitch. It does not stop it from sticking to my car.
CLP (militaty cleaning, lubricating, and protective fluid with teflon) sure speeds things up.

Madsens has them. I think there like 40 bucks.

Owl

I got one of the newer 50 footers and stretched it a little to hard laying out stream boundaries. Needless to say the tape broke where it attaches to the reel. Thought it would be an easy fix of drilling a new hole in the tape and re tensioning it. Wrong. I'm about to take the whole thing apart, but is there something I probably broke when I pulled the tape too hard?

I like my nail to be free, start the tape just below it where it bends around the metal end. I ususally get little permenant kinks around my desired lenghts.

i agree,i put a good amount of tape around the plastic stop thingy just in case my tape gets away from me,but i am a firm believer that you need that "hinge effect"to snap a tape out of the bark.when i used to tape my tapes a foot or so up 9 times out of ten where the tape ended it usually broke there.

Latest posts

Back