Split tree, Way beyond my capability to fell.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'd have a pretty good chance of that tree coming down even putting a face cut in. Pretty high likelyhood of pinching a bar on the face as well.

I'd be worried about it failing at that crack about 10-12 ft up. Not so much at the backcut (if boring and then cutting out), especially after setting the hinge forward of that crack like sillogger was saying.

Too hard to tell from pictures really.

>>Take home message is really what the original poster said anyways. "I'm in over my head and I'm not going near that one!"<<<

I had a look today and its still standing:mad: But the crack is bigger!
The pics dont show just how rotton the bottom of the tree is i cant see any way of making a safe notch and rather doubt a reliable hinge could be created.

Problem solved :greenchainsaw:
I passed it tonght and the 80mph winds have sorted that sucker out and its now on the ground:clap:
Even better it went in a safe direction and didnt take any other trees with it, But theres a 15' stunp to come down yep it broke off at the top crack abd took a chunk of the centre down to the bottom.
Pics to follow on monday if anyone cares.

Last edited:
I passed it tonght and the 80mph winds have sorted that sucker out and its now on the ground:clap:
Even better it went in a safe direction and didnt take any other trees with it, But theres a 15' stunp to come down yep it broke off at the top crack abd took a chunk of the centre down to the bottom.

i'll check out those pics!

conservation area be damned.... mother nature wanted that tree down!!!:chainsaw:
and you stayed out of harm's way.:)

If you haven't noticed the amount of followers your thread has.....I think this has draw interest from a few guys, including me!

Let's see the pics of that thing down!

Dan

There is an easy solution to this.

Push it over the direction you want with an Excavator it has the reach and power and saftey to do this right ive used one sevral times for trouble trees .
dont worry bout the grass just walk it out on some old tires thrown out in front of it .
rs404excavator.jpg

Push it over the direction you want with an Excavator it has the reach and power and saftey to do this right ive used one sevral times for trouble trees .
dont worry bout the grass just walk it out on some old tires thrown out in front of it .
rs404excavator.jpg

Doesn't have a gaurding package. Not allowed. Something goes wrong and the operator could be crushed. Needs the big heavy cage with thick bars in front of the window and heavy steel plate above the cab.

Glad it's down...

That would have been a tuff one,,but at least no worries now!!!!!!!! :cheers:

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

Well guys heres that sucker on the ground:)

Looking at it on the ground it looks like all but 4" of wood inside the bark was rotton!
Its down and safe so no hurry to block it up, But im sure we will get to it this week.
Our new firewood proccesser only takes 14" wide so looks like a lot of handwork:)

CentaurG2 and Evan , between the two of your ideas seems like the right way to go with it. I like the straps ( like 4 of them) and the "Do it safely " attitude from CentaurG2.

Bill

Thanks all for a fascinating read.

I would probably have left it myself as well.

However having taken the benefit of the combined advice, hyperthetically Id have strapped it, set a pull line, then cut a shallow face and made a bore cut leaving a good hindge then a winch pull to break the hold.

Interesting to hear everyones different methods.

Wants to see pics of wood processor!

Our new firewood processor only takes 14" wide so looks like a lot of handwork[\QUOTE]

How about a thread on the wood processor? I want to see pics of wood processor!

Dan

Wants to see pics of wood processor!

Our new firewood processor only takes 14" wide so looks like a lot of handwork

How about a thread on the wood processor? I want to see pics of wood processor!

Dan

Latest posts

Back