Splitter Axles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the splitter is a H/V type not much can be done to make it more high speed capable. The wheel base is narrow and the machine is top heavy. The bearings are probably already high speed . Increasing tire diameter might cushion the ride some but the larger tires would intrude even more into the already crowded work area. Also increasing tire diameter would keep the foot of the beam from touching the ground when in the upright position making it very unstable in use.

I guess it depends on what you want but I never cared for a suspension on a splitter. Causes too much rocking when lifting bigger pieces up for my taste. Check out old farm equipment too as a lot of times they can be had for cheap. May not be highway rated though. I used an old anhydrous tank running gear. Gave me flotation tires and a very strong axle.

MVC-019S_40.JPG

MVC-020S_31.JPG

MVC-023S_15.JPG

MVC-010S_1.JPG

I've always thought it would be neat to make a swing out mount on the tongue of a trailer for a super split.

All these threads with people worried about towing their splitters is nuts...seems like solution in search of a problem.

I've been pulling a SpeeCo convertable all over the place for years with no problems , and other than tossing a ratchet strap around the beam to quiet the rattling I take no special precautions or change my driving style in any way. I've got a spare set of wheel bearings in a ziplock bag in the glove box But have yet to need them. Like I've said in other splitter axle threads , the tires & bearings on my splitter are the same stuff that was on my dads boat trailer and it's been back and forth to Canada a dozen times with only routine maintenance.

If you have an automotive scrap yard around, look for a FWD rear straight axle, some of the minivan straight axles work too. Cheap replacement bearings and seals and should last for YEARS, usually have 14-15 rims too.

Or, I went to local farm/fleet store and bought the spindles and hubs, about $45 a side and welded on a 4x4, or 6x6 I forget, square tube that I capped. I only put the 10"? boat wheels and tires on, as I don't plan on pulling over 10-15 miles, tops. Pull 55-60 down highway no problem.

I also think it is crazy to have to trailer your splitter anywhere. On a snowmobile trailer I rebuilt last winter, it just had a U-channel maybe 2" tall x 1" wide, open at bottom.

20140119_181141_zpsdb984c75.jpg

I normally do the opposite - get it to easy to handle size as soon as possible. Usually split everything that has any size to it right where it landed when the tree fell. It's a situationally dependant thing though, usually.

I guess it depends on what you want but I never cared for a suspension on a splitter. Causes too much rocking when lifting bigger pieces up for my taste. Check out old farm equipment too as a lot of times they can be had for cheap. May not be highway rated though. I used an old anhydrous tank running gear. Gave me flotation tires and a very strong axle.

MVC-019S_40.JPG

MVC-020S_31.JPG

MVC-023S_15.JPG

MVC-010S_1.JPG
Nice!!!

Splitfire and a few other companies make some with a highway tow package so no need to go through the bs of modding a new splitter to turn it into a trailer .
Or , just make it a spot in your trailer , split and stack , self contained LOL

Splitfire and a few other companies make some with a highway tow package so no need to go through the bs of modding a new splitter to turn it into a trailer .
Or , just make it a spot in your trailer , split and stack , self contained LOL

I've always had the idea of building a splitter that mounts right into a receiver hitch. Put the splits right into the back of the truck. Maybe somebody can put more thought into it than I. Maybe someday when I have a dedicated wood truck...

Get a real trailer axle, can't be more than 80$ish down there , hubs and bearings are cheap and all standard size when it comes time for service , trailer tires and rims are standard as well .
Much easier to fix years down the road .

Back