splitter died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the math.

hi VF - wouldn't it take an enormous gear train... to multiply the torque factor? to me, just the friction alone would eat up the 5 ponies... and then some... do the math? don't think there are any numbers left! but I am open to hearing your ideas on the subject and how it would work... don't think I am an audience of one, nither... :)

BL sitting, waiting... :popcorn2:

Large cylinder(s).

so kinda like low gears... the 5 hp motor could pump the oil... into large cyls... and effect a lot of ram power? how big of cylinders... how long to split the wood, hours per piece?... interesting concept. I don't know. and you work with this stuff... I guess you do know... so I can buy into your premise. :)

btw - how are you feeling these days... breathing strong? Dr says u are good to go?.... hope so...

I've got a wee 3hp Briggs pushing a 5" cylinder with a 2" bore, splits or cuts anything I put in front of it. Knots, crotches, uglies are no problem.

I was doing a bit of splitting this afternoon since it was a beautiful day. Heard some funny noises coming from the motor, and before I could do anything there was a bang and a cloud of smoke. I have had the splitter since 1999. The motor is a vertical shaft unit. pics show the details of the splitter and the split on the motor. View attachment 498984 View attachment 498986 View attachment 498987
Look on craigslist for a 12-17hp riding mower engine. They show up all the time after the rear axle fails from having a 2 ton tubby driving around on it. They sell in my area from $80-$150. Electric start and muffler.

Oh, and B.T.W. I am not an advocate for lower hp like 5hp on a 50,000 TON splitter. Get the largest single cylinder engine you can find at a reasonable price.

And there are only two types of Tecumseh engines . . . ones that have blown the connecting rod and ones that are going to blow the connecting rod. . .so don't feel bad it's just a matter of time until every Tecumseh owner is eventually in your shoes. :)

I've got a wee 3hp Briggs pushing a 5" cylinder with a 2" bore, splits or cuts anything I put in front of it. Knots, crotches, uglies are no problem.

>Knots, crotches, uglies are no problem.

Hi AO -

5" sounds big. not sure how big mine is, but don't think its that big. but splits most stuff I challenge it with... when it fusses... I paint on 140-wt gear oil... wood contact point, wedge cutting edge, n back a bit... it's like giving Popeye spinach... I run my ram bed, ram slide wet, well lubed and oiled... all in all my splitter is much more than me... tireless!

Knots, crotches, uglies are no problem. :)

It came back to life. I had great service at F&F. Brought the splitter in on Monday, they had to order the engine, ready for pickup on Friday. I may get a chance to give it a work out this weekend.
DSC01597.JPG DSC01597.JPG DSC01598.JPG

Latest posts

Back