Splitter exhaust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjjwilb134

Reaction score
Newbie here. Just got a 22 ton huskee splitter from tsc. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried to vent the exhaust from there splitter outside so the splitter could be run in a garage or barn. Is this suicide or is it possible. I wanted to start splitting up some stuff for next fall this weekend but it is suppose to be zero outside.:confused:

Newbie here. Just got a 22 ton huskee splitter from tsc. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried to vent the exhaust from there splitter outside so the splitter could be run in a garage or barn. Is this suicide or is it possible. I wanted to start splitting up some stuff for next fall this weekend but it is suppose to be zero outside.:confused:

Theoretically possible, but wouldn't it be easier to bundle up a bit? In addition to rigging up the exhaust, you'd have all of the extra work of bringing the wood in and out of the barn.

If you are working, and keep moving, you won't really feel the cold all that much.

The splitter on the other hand, especially the pump, would be happier if it spent the night before in the garage and was brought out when you are ready to split.

Go back to TSC and buy the little magnetic block heater,slap it on the tank and leave it plugged in all night.

I wouldnt even think about modding the exhaust on a new engine.

Last edited:
I had wondered if it would be possible to mount a motorcycle muffler to the tongue of a splitter and route the exhaust through that to quiet it down. Talk about lowering the stress of running it for any length of time...

Ian

I had wondered if it would be possible to mount a motorcycle muffler to the tongue of a splitter and route the exhaust through that to quiet it down. Talk about lowering the stress of running it for any length of time...

Ian

"earplugs?"

To the original poster, like spike said, unless you stop working you won't really notice the cold. Wear layers because its easy to get too hot and start sweating. Firewood keeps you warm no matter what you're doing with:chainsaw: it:

Do as the old auto repair shops to, get your self a metal dryer vent line and some sheet steel and make your self an adapter to fit snuggly around your muffler and inside of your metal dryer vent. You must make sure the hose goes out in such a way where as the wind will not force the fumes back into your work space and your exhaust line is connected tightly to your splitter exhaust. You should be able to get your dryer vent pipe at lowes or home depot you will most likely need HVAC duct tape (the shiny metal type) to make some of your connections.

NOTICE I AM NOT AN EXPERT NOR DO I CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT TAKE MY ADVICE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I do all of my splitting inside of our metal shed. Doors open some. No problem yet i dont think. I can hear my cell phone ring in my coat pocket while splitting so the motor must not be too loud. Huh? waja say?

yup. Just bundle up and keep moving. If your splitter has a hard time starting, chances are its time for a de-carboning and tune up.

But if you must... almost every firehouse has a system for venting diesel exhaust from the bays. Company is called Plyovent. You can fubar it yourself and I would suggest adding an in-line fan, like what you would have on a forced air "booster" fan in many houses. You can pick those up at Lowes for $20.

shouldn't be any problem, just get a hose that'll fit over the end of the pipe, and route it outside. id spend 15 bucks on a CO detector just to be safe.

I gotta agree with Spike - unless the wood is already in there its just not worth it.

Latest posts

Back