Splitter Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only on one side,then move the lever to see wich side your on and hold it for a sec if it comes up to somewhere between 1500 2500 your pump is good.

If your pump is laboring then there is a blockage somewhere.
If packings in cyclinder are shot you should find plastic pieces,o-ring pieces and/or possibly metal shavings in filter.

If packings are bad the cyclinder will chatter and move eratically during a cycle.

I'll have to get some fittings to adapt my gauge to those lines. The cylinder makes no noise, and is very smooth. I did notice yesterday when I started to remove the relief valve in the control, there was a little rust. The fluids now are changed, but I closed it back up quickly, because it was pissing hydraulic fluid. I need to remove that again and check everything in there. Those lines going to the pump on the supply are very solid, not weak or soft in any way. Would a filter thats plugged cause any of this?

Would a filter thats plugged cause any of this?

This was going to be my suggestion. By the looks of the filter in the picture, it hasn't been changed in a good many years. And with the splitter sitting for 10 years without use, there could be a lot of "stuff" in the oil and in the filter.

If it was me, I'd change the filter before anything else.

This was going to be my suggestion. By the looks of the filter in the picture, it hasn't been changed in a good many years. And with the splitter sitting for 10 years without use, there could be a lot of "stuff" in the oil and in the filter.

If it was me, I'd change the filter before anything else.

The filter is on the return side of the valve and I highly doubt that is the problem. If it was on the suction side it would be a problem. That looks to be a Cross filter housing which has a relief valve in it anyway.

Can you take some more upclose pics of the filter. Pull it off for u and take a few pics of that too.

To check the piston seals in the cylinder you can place a bottle jack between the wedge and the extended cylinder .With the valve in neutral pump the bottle jack to try and force the ram back into the cylinder , if the seals are bad the ram will move . How easily the ram moves will determine how bad the seals are.

A clogged filter on the return side will have very little effect on pump pressure . There is a bypass built into the filter housing. Also the filter would burst if pressure exceeded 100 psi.

Last edited:
I pulled the filter, It was collapsed in the middle. I tore the outer portion off and it was loaded with junk.

There was some gummy stuff, kinda like chewed gun, and some small hard white particles. I didn't see any metal in it.

Mine was sucking air because of low fluid level and it didn't affect pressure, just flow. Note there was no cavitation and no whining noise, just air in the system.

Ian

! " CHANGE THE FILTER " after 10 years it probably rotted apart and cloged the power outlet..... easiest and cheapest fix first even with low fluid it will still hold high pressure when in the second stage.....

Where should I check for blockages? What lines should come off.

If you have an inlet screen, remove that and check for blockages there. If the filter came apart due to rot, that's where the pieces would end up.

Ian

Yep, the inlet screen would be between the tank and the pump.. probably mounted in the tank flange where the suction hose hooks up.

Ian

No screens. But I did notice the lines were loose from the tank to the pump. They are tight now. I'm headed into town to get some fittings to get a correct pressure reading from the pump, and a new filter.

I put on a new filter, and put the gauge on a line and it read about 150 psi. Is the pump toast? I haven't checked the cylinder yet. Seems like the splitter from hell.

If it were me, I would pull of that suction line and make sure I could see light through the end of it. Stuff may be caked up in there even inside the pump. I mean if that filter is any indication of the crappy hyro fluid the pump has been sucking on, you might just have a series of clogs too.

Pumps aren't that expensive though. I think Northern Tool sells them for around $169 or so. I bet you can find one on ebay for better than that.

I pulled the line off and cleaned it. I also checked inside the suction side of the pump for anything. I seen a 11gpm 2 stage pump at harbor freight for 109.00 Anything is better than nothing. Right now the misses isn't too happy. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back