Splitter Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wndwlkr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been working on this for a couple of weeks. building it for a friend, to his specs. built the frame from the ground up, 7000 lb axle with a 60" spring width, electric brakes & 285/75/R16 tires. 20 hp honda,28 gpm pump,5"x34 1/2"x3" cylinder with SAE 16 ports & 2" pins. 3/4"hoses with autocycle valve,Log lift valve & 3/4" dump valve,30Gal. hyd tank. 10"x10" beam 7/8" top&bottom & 5/8" center web.
1 1/2" wedge 20" tall with fixed 4 way. It will have an outfeed table also. 33" beam height. he said he needs to split 3-4 cords a year,
I told him I have a barely used monster maul in the corner collecting dust that I'd give him, said he is to old for that & it's only money!

Nice work so far. What is the theory behind the beam siffeners? I'm looking for ideas to make my beam stronger/less flexible.
I really like the crane in the shop, if my shop was bigger that would be sweet to have. Now I just use an overhead electric hoist.

Thanks for all the compliments

jthornton, I tryed to talk him in to a movable 4 way,but he insisted this was what he wanted. dave_dj1 actually that beam was tweaked to one side 1/4", so before I started i took a hydraulic jack & added 1"x2" every 12" to fix it. It was vary noticable before.
The auto crane was just outside on my old work truck so I thought I'd bring it in out of the weather. I use it alot. I've been following your build also, looks very good, can't wait to see more. farmboss45, the front of the trailer will have the motor& pump one side, hydraulic tank other side. It will be for tongue weight for towability on the hiway. he also wants a full size truck box across from the operators station. So far the paint scheme is red&black,but that could change anytime !

Again, thanks for all the compliments. I'll post more pictures as I progress.

Looks Good! I'm with you on the adjustable 4 way, I'll think he'll regret that one. A lot nicer to have the option or change. If you weren't planning on it, I'd suggest side gussets to the edges of the pusher plate. The corners will bend in without it. Crooked cut pieces will and do happen and put all the force in the wrong spot. Can't wait to see it done and nice work.

Looks Good! I'm with you on the adjustable 4 way, I'll think he'll regret that one. A lot nicer to have the option or change. If you weren't planning on it, I'd suggest side gussets to the edges of the pusher plate. The corners will bend in without it. Crooked cut pieces will and do happen and put all the force in the wrong spot. Can't wait to see it done and nice work.

You're exactly right on the wedge, he's real stubborn on that. the push plate is on the welding bench ready for gussets & bracing. then I will box in the beam for the cylinder anchor, then move on to the log lift & outfeed table. more pictures later as I get along.

Lookin' good, I'm glad I don't need a beast like that!:bowdown: LOL
Did you make the fenders? I am contemplating making some for mine.
What's the story on that boiler in the corner?

Thanks nparch726, I tend to do that myself some.

dave_dj1, I actually bought the fenders from a local trailer mfg, $30.00 apiece. I built that boiler 2 years ago this month, keeps every thing toasty warm. I really like the splitter your building now, looks good.

milkweed seed , he'll be able to split his 3 cords pretty quick. I'm actually going to build one for myself next, just like it except the whole system will be 1" .

A little more proress today

Got the oil tank in place, had to weld in a 3" bung for the large strainer, got started on the outfeed table, it will fold up against the wedge for transport. I'm on my 2nd 33 lb spool of wire. 40 or 50 sticks of 7018 5/32 on the wedge. the new paint scheme as of today is gun metal gray with a clearcoat, but that could change by tomorrow. now he wants a seat on it & a beer holder & cooler & LED lights. Maybe he'll quit thinking of stuff to add so I can finish it ! Thanks for all the compliments everyone, I really enjoy building stuff.

Got the oil tank in place, had to weld in a 3" bung for the large strainer, got started on the outfeed table, it will fold up against the wedge for transport. I'm on my 2nd 33 lb spool of wire. 40 or 50 sticks of 7018 5/32 on the wedge. the new paint scheme as of today is gun metal gray with a clearcoat, but that could change by tomorrow. now he wants a seat on it & a beer holder & cooler & LED lights. Maybe he'll quit thinking of stuff to add so I can finish it ! Thanks for all the compliments everyone, I really enjoy building stuff.

That's a great engine, I'm looking to replace the Kohler M18 on my Brute with a GX630.

That's a great engine, I'm looking to replace the Kohler M18 on my Brute with a GX630.

It should do a good job, but they sure are pricey. just like most everything nowdays. I'm thinking 25 hp vertical kohler for mine. I've had real good luck with the one on my mower.

Excellent thread here. I love seeing talent put to work. You clearly know your stuff after seeing this thing being built. What a monster that splitter is. Please keep the pics coming and hopefully a video in operation.

Latest posts

Back