Splitter Purchase!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the beginning of the end. Power splitters are for the elderly/infirmed/obese/effete. Allowing yourself to give up is the beginning of a cascade of rapid aging. Next you'll be one of those people that keeps driving around walmart's parking lot looking for a spot closest to the door instead of parking far away and walking. Diet choices will rapidly disintegrate since you won't be needing to feel in optimal health to use an X27. Then the length of your footsteps will shorten making it appear as if you're trying to carefully walk across ice even though it's 70 degrees. The white flag of surrender has been waved. Now the rapid aging begins. View attachment 490637

Well the way I see it, the OP can now cut and split twice as much wood, so he'll get some exercise.

Since I went to hydraulics, I went from 6-8 cord a year to this last year: (no pics of this year's yet)

2mfyyab.jpg

1930ig.jpg

maxgzl.jpg

SVK, Nice looking splitter, the faster pump should be a good feature.

I have always like the bigger frames of the higher tonnage splitters although you probably really don't need the actual tonnage.

The only issue I see is the angle of the hydro lever doesn't seem right. It is not going to pull in the direction the valve need to be. Looks like the handle should have the been rotated 90 degrees towards the operator. Let us know, it's just my opinion. A buddy of mine had one and that was his only complaint.

25 ton rebadged DHT. For those familiar with the 27T model this is virtually identical except for a faster pump that reduces the tonnage rating slightly.

I want to thank @SteveSS for putting me in touch with the DHT rep. It just so happened they had a demo in my area and we made the deal happen.

I'll be picking up high speed hubs from northern tool to make this highway towable.

Full review to follow.

View attachment 490533 View attachment 490534
Are you putting lights on it and registering it?

The only issue I see is the angle of the hydro lever doesn't seem right. It is not going to pull in the direction the valve need to be. Looks like the handle should have the been rotated 90 degrees towards the operator.
Hmm, I will check that out when I get home tonight.

That handle looks fine. I like that it is off to the side so in vertical mode it does not get in the way. It is hinged correctly.

The work table has a tendency to loosen up and tilt back down. The dht rep said to add some washers somewhere but I forget at the moment. Also might want to put something on the edge of the work table to keep odd log or split from vibrating off into the engine.

The work table has a tendency to loosen up and tilt back down. The dht rep said to add some washers somewhere but I forget at the moment. Also might want to put something on the edge of the work table to keep odd log or split from vibrating off into the engine.
That is one thing that I didn't care for on the 27T I used last year. After the introductory period where I am reviewing I was planning on building a larger table with more of a pitch back to the splitter that protects the engine better. I may put a sheet of tin across the front to keep mud from kicking up on the engine too.

It has a full reflective scheme on the back. I am going to check with the local PD to see what I need.
In CT by law it has to have plates and lights. Most LEO's look the other way unless you are doing something else and it can make for an easy ticket. I throw mine on the landscape trailer to move it around. Those hubs will easily do 75mph!

In CT by law it has to have plates and lights. Most LEO's look the other way unless you are doing something else and it can make for an easy ticket. I throw mine on the landscape trailer to move it around. Those hubs will easily do 75mph!
I know the rental splitter locally doesn't have lights. I think the main thing is getting a permanent trailer tag on it as that seems to be what they look for most.

That is one thing that I didn't care for on the 27T I used last year. After the introductory period where I am reviewing I was planning on building a larger table with more of a pitch back to the splitter that protects the engine better. I may put a sheet of tin across the front to keep mud from kicking up on the engine too.

Dht actually sells a larger work table now. It's on their site.

I actually have to wash off my motor because the tires slung mud all over it.

I know the rental splitter locally doesn't have lights. I think the main thing is getting a permanent trailer tag on it as that seems to be what they look for most.
In NY it wouldnt need lights as long as 1) its not a trailer, 2) you can see the tow vehicle's lights. YMMV.

Now, which splitting maul would you like to sell me? :laugh:

Well the way I see it, the OP can now cut and split twice as much wood, so he'll get some exercise.

Since I went to hydraulics, I went from 6-8 cord a year to this last year: (no pics of this year's yet)

2mfyyab.jpg

1930ig.jpg

maxgzl.jpg

those pictures are beautiful. nice work!

Don't ask the cops what the law is. Ask them what level they enforce. "Hey guys, do I need to add anything to road it"?

My not so old bones have hand split about 45 cords over the last three seasons (not including the additional 25 cords split with rented or borrowed splitters) so I figured it was time. I have a few cords of some noodle or hydro only stuff coming up this spring so I'll save wear and tear on my saws.

I really like that size and style of machine, very similar to my old one. Personally I think it's a big plus to be able to move it around by hand.
Nobody is talking about your old bones. Lots of us geezers split with hydraulics. Besides, I don't even see a cup holder. LOL

Back