Splitter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigger pump = more flow = more speed. Bigger pumps take more HP though.
Yup...typically would need both as most splitters max out the pump size to engine size...if you have hp in reserve though you can just increase pump size...
Either way you will want to look at the rest of the system to make sure it can handle the extra flow...

Yup...typically would need both as most splitters max out the pump size to engine size...if you have hp in reserve though you can just increase pump size...
Either way you will want to look at the rest of the system to make sure it can handle the extra flow...
Increase the flow or pump, need to get valves that will handle the extra GPM.........or you will make heat and very very hot oil.

Yep, a bigger pump and motor would increase volume, thus cycle time. Pump volume capacity determines cylinder speed ~ you can only move so much fluid through a given pump. Engine/motor size determines splitting power or tonnage.

Not sure what you are starting with. Changing one component effects many if not all of the other components, including the oil itself as someone else stated. Larger pump/greater hp/larger hydraulic tank. Some things to try without changing the dynamics of the system are a detent valve and cylinder rod stroke reducer sleeves, or something which does the same thing differently by tripping the valve lever as DHT's new add-on product does. A slip on four-way wedge and a splitting table. These will all help with your goal to speed up cycle time for not a lot of money. Rather than changing components consider selling what you have and go kinetic. My SS-HD is good up to about 14"-16" but will not do everything a hydraulic will do. I have done much larger but then it is slower but can be done. Depends on the wood. If you need to tow your splitter the SS brand will not fit your needs but there are others. Timber wolf makes a TW-5 and a TW-5FC. The engine/pump is the same. Cycle time is 10 sec. for the 5; 6sec for the 5FC. The difference is cylinder size, 24 x 5 x 2 (5); 24 x 4 x 2 (5FC). Tonnage drops from 25 tons to 20 tons. I am not saying buy a TW, just using their numbers as an example. If it is possible to downsize your cylinder you can increase cycle time at a cost of tonnage. Which also reminds me. I have a big hydraulic, a TW-6, and these big splitters use a 'dump valve' or return bypass valve to increase cycle time as well. Perhaps someone else can explain how those function and if that would help you.

I have a big hydraulic, a TW-6, and these big splitters use a 'dump valve' or return bypass valve to increase cycle time as well..
Just running a dump valve will not decrease your cycle time. A dump valve is used cause on the return stroke, you have a high GPM output from the cylinder, and it will overload the valve and cause heat. You see this on units that have a big rod cylinder, or the higher gpm pump systems. I had to have one on mine, as I calculated up to 65gpm from the cylinder on the return stroke (5"bore, 24" stroke, 3.75" rod).

Back