Splitter repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to suggest a ring welded to the face of the foot but looks like you've done just that.
The ring is the best shape because it will hold the log from slipping in any direction and has squared edges for grabbing and not letting the log slip that way.
I am a certified welder and you did some great looking welds on the pressure foot.
The other welds are ok too. Nice shaped beads and by the look of the bead marks, you had a nice even speed and good angles. Just try to pause at the end of the bead in order to fill those craters. A very important part of good welding practice so that no crater cracks(surface or embedded) will appear.
The Miller lines of wire feed welders are my favourite along with the Lincoln TIG welders.
Good work. Keep building.
~Stan
CWB Certified Welder
Mechanical Engineer
Architectural Technologist

I was going to suggest a ring welded to the face of the foot but looks like you've done just that.
The ring is the best shape because it will hold the log from slipping in any direction and has squared edges for grabbing and not letting the log slip that way.
I am a certified welder and you did some great looking welds on the pressure foot.
The other welds are ok too. Nice shaped beads and by the look of the bead marks, you had a nice even speed and good angles. Just try to pause at the end of the bead in order to fill those craters. A very important part of good welding practice so that no crater cracks(surface or embedded) will appear.
The Miller lines of wire feed welders are my favourite along with the Lincoln TIG welders.
Good work. Keep building.
~Stan
CWB Certified Welder
Mechanical Engineer
Architectural Technologist

Thanks for the compliments and tips. I didnt weld the new foot on though. I was going to but just had the shop do it instead, they didnt charge me much for the weld. The welds I did on the circle are kinda crappy, lol , it was late and I was tired. It will most likely bug me to the point I redo it. As for the craters, that bugs me too, and need to improve on that.

I know what you mean when you get tired. They look great though.
As for the craters, just pause the gun a moment at the end of the bead and watch the weld pool as it fills. Then let off the trigger and pull away.
The staggered welds on the ring look good. All it has to do is stay the ring in place. Good to see that you welded both sides of the ring. It should be fine.
Actually half of the job of any good weld is a good fit of the material prior to welding it.If you have a good bevel or double bevel on heavy stock, then the weld should be stronger than the surrounding material.
Lots of black paint to cover beads and you're off to the races...lol.

A little paint can always make a weld look pretty, Lol. I still need to paint the table I just made for the splitter in another thread.Not many welds to cover though, I beveled most of the joints and ground smooth for a better look.

Latest posts

Back