Splitter Trailer Combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acme0007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought of mounting a splitter to the front, or any part of a trailer? You could go to where you cut rounds or whatever and split them then just toss in the trailer and haul to your woodplie or home. You could use a pickup box trailer with sideboards and mount the spitter on front. When not using the splitter the trailer is still usable to deliver or move your buddies s***. :monkey:

My wedge is on the front of my splitter and I often thought about backing a trailer to the splitter and as I split the wood would go right into the trailer. And the more you split the would would get pushed to the front. But I do all my splitting were I stack it so have yet to try it.

Mounted a cherry picker on the splitter and added a hitch on the splitter
then hooked a wagon on the back . It worked OK but wagon will push
the splitter so you had better be ready to out run the load on the down
hill in the pasture.

Has anyone ever thought of mounting a splitter to the front, or any part of a trailer? You could go to where you cut rounds or whatever and split them then just toss in the trailer and haul to your woodplie or home. You could use a pickup box trailer with sideboards and mount the spitter on front. When not using the splitter the trailer is still usable to deliver or move your buddies s***. :monkey:

My splitter mounts on the three point of my Kubota.It has its' own pto driven pump and a trailer ball mounted on the rear of it.Bringing the trailer along saves a trip as the pieces go straight from the splitter into the trailer.

Interesting idea there.... anyone have any pics of custom splitter setups like that??

Me personally - I haul rounds and logs to where I keep my wood. Do the cutting and splitting right there, and throw the newly split wood right on the pile....

I put receiver hitches on the back of all the spitters I build.
attachment.php

Is that DOT legal? Do you need a tag on it if it's in the middle? I guess if it's in the day it doesn't matter? Do normal trailer lights count?

I know off road, it's not an issue, but what if you were driving to a site? I've only seen tandem semi truck trailers...

Off road, electric brakes on the last trailer should help control downhill jack knife potential. It would not hurt on road performance either.

It is common practice to run electric brakes on a single trailer off road.

I am currently building a 5x8 3500lb steel side utility trailer with electric brakes for off road stability. I also have a 2" receiver hitch on the rear of the trailer.

So in the picture shown, electric brakes on the rear utility trailer would be wise and easy to wire up with a harness extender.

I had thought about it. My idea was to take a trailer mount the splitter to the tounge of the trailer. On the bottom of the beam I would have two piviot points one would allow the splitter to be spun so when in transport the splitter runs parallel to the front of the trailer box. When in use the splitter can be spun to be parallel with the trailer tounge. This would allow the splits to be pushed right into the trailer box via a removable front panel. The other piviot would allow the splitter to be pivitoed into a vertical work postion for the large rounds to be broken down. The motor, pump and fluid resivor could be mounted anywhere. This would have to be a modified trailer or custom built to get the weight postioned right.

Within the last couple of years someone has posted a picture of a trailer they built just like what you are talking about. It was very nicely done.

Scott

I mounted a receiver hitch on the back of my wood trailer (cutdown 1 ton pickup box/frame) to pull the splitter. Here it is road legal. Other wise it takes two vehicles or two trips. I split mostly in the woods to avoid noise and mess in town.

I saw a really nice package I'd like to have: just what you describe, mounted on the front of an old large heavy duty manure spreader. 20 inch truck wheels, etc. Swing out 90 degrees for splitting, swings in along the front right side for travel. Beaters were gone and had a hydraulic drive on the apron. split and toss in the front. When the pile gets high, use the apron drive to move it towards rear until the load is full. Take it home and use the apron drive to move the wood to the rear for unloading. It would be quite a load, as the spreaders alone are pretty heavy built to haul yards of wet bedding and s.....t.

We went a little different direction with ours.. In that its about a 100 mile round trip to the wood cutting area it needed to be roadable. The trailer is made from a toyota p/u bed, the motor and hyd tank are mounted on the tongue, the splitter is rail mounted in the box. It can be use in either the verticle or horizonal position. We carry our saws, and all other gear needed for cutting in the trailer. When we go there is usually 2 and most time 3, 1 Ton 4x4 diesel pickups plus a 16 ft and a 12 ft wood trailer and 3 to 5 guys. Pickups or trailers can be backed right up to the splitter so wood is loaded right from the splitter. This is generally a weekend outting. If were just going for the day we usually bring the rounds home for splitting later...There are pictures in this thread...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=115922&page=2

someone once posted the perfect setup. I do not recall who it was.. But they were not from USA. But they had a splitter mounted between the bed and the cab on some sort of pickup. Sort of folded out and down as I recall.. Looked very professional.

I believe somebody put a splitter on a trailer. Cant remember the members name.The rig was pretty cool. I remember telling him I liked it. Ill try to search.:)

That Rover is really sweet! I saw that here before. I just want to drive that around Just to show it off, I wouldn't want to get it dirty or scratched.
However, I was thinking of the splitter mounted parallel with the front of the trailer bed, probably just horizontal. You could use the box area for the motor and pump, etc. Here in Nebraska you don't need trailer brakes if it's only a single axel, I think under 5k or 3.5k, will check before I build. You could build a 10 foot trailer and use the front 2 feet for the splitter and set it up so its not too toung heavy. Of course thats if you start from scratch or a frame, not using a truck box trailer. I saw an old box trailer on CL for 150 bucks so I was just thinking. I should stop that habit and just fab something. After all I am just doing this for something to do in the off season, tree trimming. I really would like to use a box trailer to keep it cheap, those are pretty heavy duty anyway.

Back