Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is the timbewolf splitters worth the money...i called on a TW r5 and they want close to 7 grand...you can get the straight splitter from home depot...for a little over 1 grand

what one would you recmond???

Most of my logs are Oak, Pine, Fur...but large logs...

Oh my last question does anyone know the retail value when you sell a splitter
???

If you are going to sell wood you may want a high volume splitter. If you are only going to split wood for your own use get a cheaper splitter. The prices of used splitters are all over the place. Used ones can be found cheap. If I was going to buy another commercial splitter I would look at northern tool supply. Just my 2 cents.

just get the nothern tool 37 ton...9 hp honda engine...16gpm pump and you can get the wings for 4 way splitting...on sale now for 1699

just bought the 22 ton north star from nothern..same deal...10% off of 1200 bucks...it is one working SOB....it'll split faster than i want to carry wood..

Really wow, thank you guys....i was just trying to research on line and stuff like that. From there the TImberwolf seemed to be the best one.

i had a couple different guys use to take all my wood but i have filled all them up for a few years, so i was looking to get a splitter and sell on the side.

timberwolf is great but for the price i could get 2 of the northern's...or more depending on the model..

Ya when they told me almost 7 grand....my stomatch turned...i just didnt no of any other splitters out there besides my sledge and wedge, and home depot...

that 4 way, seems like a pretty cool attachment

o for sure...it makes quick work of almost anything...I like the idle at return also...The only thing i see that i need to do is make a gaurd for the fuel tank and engine...

I've got an inexpensive (comparatively) 27 ton Yard Machines from the Depot. I got it during a 10% off sale.... was somewhere around $1200, give or take. It has run flawlessly, and i've not had any problems with it. Of course i opted for the optional Honda engine, which i highly recommend. I've browsed at the Timberwolfs...... and they are a nice, high quality unit. I'd be looking at them if i split commercially. Till then.... i'll keep my Yard Machines splitter for less than half the price. I have seen these same splitters selling used in my area for the same, or more than i paid for mine new at the Depot. Or.... perhaps i should say.... people ASKING for what i paid new. I have to think a decent quality splitter hold its value fairly well.

alright cool...ya i was looking at the yard machine...definetly go with honda...i agree no questions assked on that one..

i was looking at the timberwold and then the one from northern because of the 4 way split...and the advantage in time and larger logs

how does the yard machine handle the large akward logs....and does it only split horizntal like your picture of vertical too???

thanks
mike

Does horizontal or vertical. I just prefer horizontal, so the big stuff we set on with a bobcat. Splits well either way. As far as i know.... there is no four way available, but it shouldn't be much of a challenge for a fab shop to make one if you want one. I would have one made similar to the timberwolfs that just slips over the wedge, so it would be eaisly removeable. 90% of the wood i want in fours i can do in less than a stroke anyway. Start your split, back the wedge out of the wood, flip the piece end for end and rotate it 90 degrees at the same time. Drive the wedge back in... pop, its in four pieces. Faster and easier than it sounds. I imagine i would have a four way made for mine.... if the size of my firewood were consistant. Being a scroungs and a beggar often leaves me with the big suff others don't feel like working with.

There is often a debate over whether wedge-on-ram (dictated by horizontal or vertical capability) or wedge-on-beam (like the Timberwolfs) is better. I see no benefit to having the wedge on the end of the beam UNLESS you are splitting onto a conveyor. Otherwise i prefer to keep the piece of wood in front of me. I think in my old pictures i had a "shelf" on the far side of the splitter made of half inch plywood as a test. It worked so well i made one in steel this year. I should take a picture. Its great for making multiple splits on the same piece of wood.... keeps you from having to keep picking up the piece that splits away from you. Back saver for sure.

One thing i will recommend to you. Always try to see the splitters you are considering... stand at them, try them if possible. You will want to buy a splitter that is comfortable to work at. I used to work for a farmer who also sold firewood. He had an old mechanical splitter.... i think it was a "jiffy splitter" or something like that. Is sat so low to the ground that my back was killing me after a half hour of splitting..... as i was always hunched over. The beam was maybe as high as my knees. I remedeyd it by putting it up on blocks..... but that gets to be a pain in the rump if you move it around the yard. So.... always try to stand at the operator station on any that you are considering..... make sure its comfortable.

Scott

Last edited:
Thank you Scott,

Ya i am sure i can get someone to make me up something if need be.

Thank you for all the info. i will be getting one in the next few months, will keep everyone posted on which one and how it works.

Have you looked into the Super Splitter. I have one. They are around 3k new and the cut very fast. A 2 1/2 second cycle time. Very low upkeep. no hydraulics.

Scott

Back