Splitting axe shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjnspecial

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Wood:
Water oak, 16 inches thick, cut 2 years ago. Straight grained and no nots.
Axes(overall length):
Iron and Oak Monster Maul(26")
Luddell splitting axe(34")
Great Divider(Similar to Chopper 1)(36")
Gerber(Same as Fiskars X25)(28")
Fiskars X27(36")

attachment.php

First, let me say that all the axes worked well. Second, let me say that 16" thick blocks are much, much easier to split than 20" ones.

Monster maul: Could split the largest chunks off the block and seemed to be the best at splitting on the first strike. It was very tiring to use though and seemed like a waste of energy on splitting smaller stuff.

Fiskars X27: After using the monster maul, this thing felt a lot lighter and I could swing the heck out of it. It was not as tiring to use as the moster maul, but was close to being as effective on the larger stuff.

Gerber(Fiskars X25): I could swing this thing like a light saber and not wear out. It would effortlessly split the quarters into smaller pieces and was worked faily well at splitting larger chunks off of the rounds. **

Great divider: This was the surprise out of the bunch. The wood handle was the most comfortable of all of them and it seemed like this one was easy to hit the "sweet spot." Maybe the action of it working doesn't send as much vibration back through the handle, not sure, but it was very comfortable to use. On smaller stuff, you don't even have to swing it hard to make the wood split. It never bounces back like other axes and once the wood splits, the axe slows down quickly kind of like a soft landing. The only downside it that it sends pieces sailing 10-15 feet away and it is not as effective taking large chunks off of rounds.

Luddell: It's worked well for splitting but some axes were more effective at splitting large stuff and some were easier to use for small stuff. It's a good multipurpose axe, imo.

They all have their purpose, pros and cons. That being said, I think the 28 inch Gerber fits me best but the X27 is safer if using a chopping block. I'll be using the great divider on nice perfect wood with some bungee cords or old tire.

attachment.php

**I'm 5'6", 170 lbs. I was using a chopping block and had a close call with the Gerber. Rounds will be on the ground when using this one from now on, lol.

attachment.php

Interesting

I bet that was fun! Could you show a closeup on "the great divide", new one on me.

As to the fiskars or fiskars styled, you don't use an old tire? Man, as soon as I can fit the round or busted off first chunks in a tire that's where it goes. I am thinking of go collecting an old rear tractor tire I chunked out, bringing it back, and laying it over several chopping blocks so I can go round and round and still keep the pieces inside.

I thought of the bungee method, but I want a positive axe STOP that the tire provides. It also helps with keeping the axe blade out of the block, keep it only in clean wood all the time, as that sharpness is critical for the splitting effect.

Ya, I had a few near misses when I first got it. I think of the tire as just as much a safety feature as a convenience feature. When I first do a larger round (I have now done some that are 26 inches, with some bigger ones to go), I switch to off to the side (right hand for me) swinging for safety, then when it is in the tire, I do the straight overhead swing.

I also have one where it is only a half swing with a fast pullback. Barely up, and not nearly as hard as possible down, that's why I call it "the popper".

Depends on the wood, if it is one that is splitting real easy, I switch to the half swing and pull everyone as soon as it "pops", get it going back up again. I mean, no follow though, I "check" the swing once it has worked. Timing, as they say, is critical there, but man, you can fly then!

Before I switched to the tire, I would get someone to help me and load up a dozen or more chopping blocks, then walk down them splitting, the person behind me (usually my GF) would be reloading. That is dayum fast as well, plus a helper is nice to keep chunks outta the way and start pitching them towards the stack. With the tire now, though, I don't bother, from inside the tire to either the wheel barrow or throw them near the stacking area.

I was using a gas engine splitter the boss loaned me..and I was actually *glad* when it broke so I could go back to hand splitting. I have not made a single effort to fix the thing either..and I ain't gonna. He can haul it back to his shop and tinker with it, loan it someone else, I really got no use for it, and never asked for it in the first place, it just showed up one day so I felt guilty for his generosity and used it two years. I missed hand splitting the entire time.

After a lot of sawing and driving the tractor..I dig the peace and quiet and the workout with handsplitting. I call it woodrobics...

Here's a pic of the great divider. It's a little different than the chopper 1 but same principal. I've got a log splitter too but only haul it out if there's a lot of wood to split and besides, swinging an axe is good workout and good stress reliever. I'll definitely be getting a tire.

103505d1247276416-tgd-jpg

i like that design... i also have brought home a tire from work. i got a 275/60R20 to use should work great. but its buried in ice and cant find it right now to use it..lol:cold:

wings

Here's a pic of the great divider. It's a little different than the chopper 1 but same principal. I've got a log splitter too but only haul it out if there's a lot of wood to split and besides, swinging an axe is good workout and good stress reliever. I'll definitely be getting a tire.

Hey, thanks! How do those wings work? Looks like they pivot.

No way could I make one, but I think I would like to try a splitting axe that had a head shaped like a Y. Fiskars type of sharp and that expanded wedge, but that Y shape. It's because you are starting out hitting round wood and ..look at the rounds, that's the way they *want* to split. So why not mimic it? I am thinking for 8-12 inch rounds, one whack in the center exactly, three nice chunks, done. Go from a straight edge axe on the larger rounds, and once they need final size splitting, switch to the Y axe.

Or maybe something like a wood grenade, but with a handle.

Bwa..some time many moons ago, one of our great grand daddies had a sharp rock lashed to a stick with like old vine or something. then he decides he is going to split wood with it..why? No stoves yet.....almost like chicken and the egg. And he didn't have rounds, no saws yet, so.....who the heck invented the idea of splitting wood, and why? Had to be almost exactly when stoves were first built and they needed very similar sized wood, and sometime after saws came into common use.

I understand splitting for rails with wedges for fences and log house construction and crude planks with adzes and chopping axes, but for firewood..hmmm. I have no idea of the history of splitting axes. Or where they really just a slop over from combat axes? I am thinking that is more probable.

I don't think they evolved from felling axes, but maybe. War axes were heavier and designed to really go through something at the first whack, like earlier armor, felling axes were to be swung all day long and take thinner precise slices out, that's what makes me think splitters came from war axes.

No way could I make one, but I think I would like to try a splitting axe that had a head shaped like a Y. Fiskars type of sharp and that expanded wedge, but that Y shape. It's because you are starting out hitting round wood and ..look at the rounds, that's the way they *want* to split. So why not mimic it? I am thinking for 8-12 inch rounds, one whack in the center exactly, three nice chunks, done. Go from a straight edge axe on the larger rounds, and once they need final size splitting, switch to the Y axe.

Or maybe something like a wood grenade, but with a handle.

Bwa..some time many moons ago, one of our great grand daddies had a sharp rock lashed to a stick with like old vine or something. then he decides he is going to split wood with it..why? No stoves yet.....almost like chicken and the egg. And he didn't have rounds, no saws yet, so.....who the heck invented the idea of splitting wood, and why? Had to be almost exactly when stoves were first built and they needed very similar sized wood, and sometime after saws came into common use.

I understand splitting for rails with wedges for fences and log house construction and crude planks with adzes and chopping axes, but for firewood..hmmm. I have no idea of the history of splitting axes. Or where they really just a slop over from combat axes? I am thinking that is more probable.

I don't think they evolved from felling axes, but maybe. War axes were heavier and designed to really go through something at the first whack, like earlier armor, felling axes were to be swung all day long and take thinner precise slices out, that's what makes me think splitters came from war axes.

Not sure where the axe evolved from but I think splitting wood was what warriors did for exercise, lol. If you split enough, you will be a strong mammer jammer. Here's a few links to a similar axe.
Chopper One Axe - Log Splitting Tool
YouTube - ‪Chopper 1 Axe‬‏
YouTube - ‪Bryan's Favorite Axe - Split wood the easy way!‬‏
YouTube - ‪Strong man splitting wood with chopper 2 axe‬‏

Only on AS

Would you find a review like this, and people actually interested in reading it!

You should update with the weights of each of the tools used.

Just walk into your post office holding all of them. They won't mind, really.

Yea those pivot out to make the wedge bigger as it goes into the wood, there are many of that style.

I think that yellow handled one is what you are talking about in the shape of a Y. I have one like it that I bought from lowes that works pretty good.

Yea those pivot out to make the wedge bigger as it goes into the wood, there are many of that style.

I think that yellow handled one is what you are talking about in the shape of a Y. I have one like it that I bought from lowes that works pretty good.

--I didn't know they made a Y shaped head splitting axe. I was just staring at a round one day, noticed the cracks and patterns, and thought a Y shaped head would be spiffy for some of the work. I'll have to look at one next time I am over there. Maybe they have it online..I'll go check.

I have several differant sized tires that I use. I have an oak round that is 46" diameter that I use to split on. I tried the bungee cord twice and ended up cutting them both with an errant swing, so I stick to using the tires.

They work sorta like some of those spring loaded archery broad heads.

I have several differant sized tires that I use. I have an oak round that is 46" diameter that I use to split on. I tried the bungee cord twice and ended up cutting them both with an errant swing, so I stick to using the tires.

Sounds like me. :) My low skill level is one of the reasons I've ordered the longer Fiskars x27 instead of the shorter 28" version.

Last edited:
I have a Great Divider with metal handle so I will give my review on this maul.
It will split dry straight cut straight grain rounds all day. And litterally explodes the two halfs of wood apart.
But it is nearly useless on green or wet wood.
And impossible to penetrate unevenly cut rounds as well as splintered and knotted rounds.

any chance you could state order of Axe, so we can figure what axe is what.
some like the fiskar are obvious, but others are not

Axes(overall length):
Iron and Oak Monster Maul(26")
Luddell splitting axe(34")
Great Divider(Similar to Chopper 1)(36")
Gerber(Same as Fiskars X25)(28")
Fiskars X27(36")

attachment.php

Back