Splitting multiple rounds at once?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Chaplin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
designing a new hydraulic log splitter and wondering if anyone has ever built one that could load 2-3 rounds in at a time?

in my last build, which was really pretty quick with a 6.5 - 7 second cycle time I found myself constantly waiting on the return cycle.
Was wondering if running a longer cylinder that could push 2-3 rounds through with each cycle may be faster? You’d be waiting longer for the return but could be loading rounds on the return stroke.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it or seen any videos of anyone who has?

i haven’t seen much online in my searching. So I’m wondering if I’d be pioneering a new design or just building an incredibly slow splitter lol.

I guess it depends on the diameter of the rounds and your definition of splitting.

We have a 12-22 EastonMade and with the 4 way in place, its easy to split 2 rounds about 8-10" dia each. The bottom one splits in quarters, the top one splits in half. But the handling of the 2 pieces of half rounds eats into processing time, if you are wanting to resplit them. So, when the wood pile is right for this kind of splitting, we put a larger one on the bottom to split into 4 and a smaller diameter round piece on top (or the half round of a previously split bigger round) that only need to split in two.

I was thinking a cylinder long enough to push 2-3 rounds (in line) through that were 18-20” long and 16-18” diameter through a 6 way or 8 way wedge.
My thought was you’d have a longer cycle time but you would be pushing 2-3 rounds each stroke.
As you mentioned though the re-splits could be problematic and potentially undo any efficiency gained

I think if you look around you will find videos of just what you thinking about. Years ago I worked wood with a guy that built one with a six foot throw on the cylinder and a six way wedge. It worked great on the right size ash rounds. We would load up multi round and shove them threw the wedge. We had another splitter and crew to take care of the resplits. I didn't see a big time saving. Those multi wedges work great with the right wood. My processor has set the last two year because the wood I have been processing is the wrong wood to run threw it. I wouldn't waste my time and money building a splitter that would do multi rounds at a time.

If cost or a good junk supply for parts is not a problem, I’d say have at’er! But by the time you remount a long cylinder or rework your wedge, buy new hoses…
Like woodchuck, I use a 4 way wedge and adjust it ‘up’ and can run 4 smaller rounds through it, 1/2’ing them. The woods sits in a V trough ahead of the wedge. (On a processor)
Im sure we could also come up with lots of other ideas and ways to speed up the machine and help you spend your money :)
I also have a ‘Splitfire’, wedge moves back and forth so you never wait for a return stroke. It’s a small cylinder and a smart design so it’s quick and strong. Bigger is not always better!

I would hazard a guess that an efficient 24" stroke cylinder (1 round at a time, or double stack with another one on top) could out perform a 60" stroke trying to push 2-3 as you describe. The first problem I see you might have is you are going to run into an issue when pushing more than 1 round into the axe head. If the cuts made when blocking the wood are not straight, you are going to run into alignment issues while the 2-3 pieces of wood are being pushed into the axe head. As @Del_ describes.
If you are looking to reduce handling time of the rounds into the splitter cradle, might be a better idea to make something that can feed the splitter automatically, like the Posche system does.

If you accidentally get two rounds that are not cut square,, DUCK!!
The two rounds will make a force perpendicular the the stroke,, that sideways force will eject both of those rounds.
To see this ,, take three rounds that are similar size,, about 6 to 8 inches in diameter.
lay them sideways in a normal splitter,, when the splitter pushes,, one or two of the rounds will come flying out.
EVERY time,, it will happen. (MAYBE, on occasion, they will not,,)

Another way to visualize this, is to consider a splitter that could hold two 8 foot fence posts. (exaggerated length)
Put them in the splitter, now 16 feet long,
there is no amount of square end that would allow the force to push a post through the wedge.
The posts will always buckle sideways.

I just saw a multi round splitter on YouTube,, BUT!
They were splitting rounds only about 10 inches long.
With that length/diameter ratio, the rounds easily stay in the splitter.

Another splitter had the cylinder pushing the log into a fixed multi wedge.
On top of the moving presser was a wedge,,
When the cylinder was extended, another log could be loaded on top of the cylinder
When the cylinder returned, it would cut a round in half.
The return splitter was not a multi wedge, just single.
The cylinder has less force returning, because of the rod.

... I use a 4 way wedge and adjust it ‘up’ and can run 4 smaller rounds through it, 1/2’ing them. The woods sits in a V trough ahead of the wedge. ... I also have a ‘Splitfire’, wedge moves back and forth so you never wait for a return stroke. It’s a small cylinder and a smart design so it’s quick and strong.
Yup. Done the same. split four pieces in half in one stroke. I also have a Splitfire, it is a beast.
20181007-firewood-kindling.jpg

I was going to suggest a two way wedge like shown in the picture but if you're working by yourself it will be quite the dance. When I am splitting rounds that allow the wedge to reach more than half way up the round, I split it once and then turn the round 90 degrees and split it again giving 4 pieces wit two splits instead of 4 pieces with three if you do it separately. That's a 33% increase in speed with nothing but a different technique.
Instead of a longer ram, it makes more sense to make multiple pieces per cycle.

Or, you can just do this.

Agree with woodchuckan. Depending on how the receiving table is designed and the rounds being split the first round through if needing to be resplit is going to be farther away to go grab and bring back. I guess you could solve that problem by putting a round known not probably needing to be resplit closest to the wedge and a larger one behind it as long as the cuts are square to each other.

Thanks y’all. I didn’t think about the rounds not being cut perfectly straight. You’re absolutely right on that.

I’m active duty military but we moved overseas 6 months ago. I had to sell my last custom built splitter when we moved here so I’m just designing the next one and looking for efficiencies when we return in 2 years.

I only had a 4 way wedge on the last one and had lots of resplits. Im planning to do build multiple wedges to eliminate some of that.

I also thought about building something vertical similar to the Eastonmade Axis and running a 3.5” cylinder with a sub 4 second cycle time. Those seem to do a great job, quickly, with much less trash

That was my first thought. running into a bad twist or knot could be a problem.

We built a pusher that would shove a steel square tube into another square tube as reinforcement at an equipment shop. Had somewhere around a 5 or 6' cylinder. We didn't think to tie the nose of the cylinder down and wound up with the rod bent in a big "U" on the first try.

. I had to sell my last custom built splitter when we moved here so I’m just designing the next one and looking for efficiencies when we return in 2 years.
When you do design the next one,, think outside the box,, There are LOTS of possibilities,,

N9gyGiC.jpg

A few years back someone posted photos of a splitter bed about four foot wide, multiple rams with wedges, and solid foot design. Drop two rounds side by side into halves. They flop over, four halves face up. The next stroke halved those four halves.

Latest posts

Back