Splitting Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo, as you know with tapping...the lead or pitch in the U.S. of EH is not metric nor left handed...down here it takes both hands.

Here is a pic of Jim aka Wilford Brimley

Last edited:
I got some Chinese Chestnut a couple years ago, cut into stove lengths and split it into quarters. It stayed in my wood shed where the sun hit on it for the majority of a days time and no rain ever hit it. I got a few sticks of it out to burn last week and it wouldn't even offer to catch fire. It would lay and sizzle while oozing green slime. I even broke down and put some good coal under it to try to coax it into burning, to no avail. Its laying out back right now, charred but not broken.:D

Anybody else ever have any trouble with Chinese Chestnut?

I line up 5-10 pieces of wood in a straight line. Hit the first then advance to the second nd so on without having to break rhythm to set up another piece of wood. My 16 pound maul a.k.a. big wedge with a pipe welded to it as a handle, works great. With good wood ad/or frozen stuff, I can easily outsplit one of them hydraulic splitters.

Grateful11 it splits real smooth and very fast...pics may not do it justice as some times the wood splits from the back side or it appears that the splitter is real deep when infact the wood is already split and the piece is either falling off or already has.

Last edited:
here is a pic of the husky's I went through just to buck the logs that we split. I had to put them out of thier misery with my 454 casull.

Last edited:
Fat Looking Peashooter!

Those Huskys is hard to kill Rotax, you dont want to be undergunned for the game your after!

Frank

I am not sure if you can still by them or not...I have built several of the screws in the past but did not build the one pictured, I just copied thier design.

Doug, notice the bar that the wood rests on, it is about 12" to 16"
away from the centerline of the shaft. Yeah, a short stick of wood can slide off of the bar and hit you about 30 times before you can blink, but they are an extremely fast splitter.

Last edited:
Thanks, Robert. The discs are on their way tomorrow morning. You'll probably have to copy the file from the CD to your hard drive to play it at normal speed. Because I didn't compress the video when I digitized it directly from the tape you brought, the picture will be big. The file is about 200 MB!

fcb8078f.jpg

Hey Robert, get out of chainsaws, it's not your calling. I think the delicate outstretch of flyline over a pristine northern rivulete is more like you.
John

I like the fly, good color for clear water. Probably need to go to a chartruse or chartruse/white down here in these murky Mississippi oxbows. :)

Robert..I have seen some splitters just like that that mount to a pickup rim...then the guy just jacks up the rear end of the truck, using the axle as the PTO....

Beer Can..that is a great picture of Jim, i can use that for a "Wanted" poster!!!!

Latest posts

Back