Sportfury's DCS6401 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got my DCS6421, I had the same issue with the chain creeping. I ordered some springs and that solved the problem. Bought all my goodies from fordf150. Great guy to deal with! I ordered a full wrap handle, HD air filter, 79cc p&c. I also gutted the muffler. Very strong saw indeed. fordf150 shipped it pretty quick too!

When I got my DCS6421, I had the same issue with the chain creeping. I ordered some springs and that solved the problem. Bought all my goodies from fordf150. Great guy to deal with! I ordered a full wrap handle, HD air filter, 79cc p&c. I also gutted the muffler. Very strong saw indeed. fordf150 shipped it pretty quick too!
Do you still have the 288, do you like the hybrid better :).

Hey Brett! Long time no speak! No 288, but I love my dolkita. She's right up there with my 461. That 550xp you sold me is still running like a banshee!

Hey Brett! Long time no speak! No 288, but I love my dolkita. She's right up there with my 461. That 550xp you sold me is still running like a banshee!
I like my dolmar as well, smooth saw.
That's good to hear, it was a strong runner when I had it, I'd get another if I had the chance.

Question. Are the torque values in the dolmar service manual given in NM? And I didn't see a torque value for the 4 cylinder bolts. Anyone know what it is?

Can anyone clarify my question? Is it NM or ft/lb? I may delete the base gasket this week while I'm at it.

Also, Carl has a used filter kit and intake boot, so those are on the way (thanks MMS!) and the rest of what I need has been ordered either thru eBay or site sponsors. Figure I'll document each stage to let folks see how it's done (and my blunders :eek:). Once it's dialed in I'll run it stock until I get the moolah for the BBK.

I'm setting a goal to see how little money I can put into it and still kick arse at a GTG.

Thinking of replacing the decals with dolmar ones. And a smurf drawing on the bar lol. Anyone think that's faux pas?

Thank you sir, same one I got. But I can't seem to find cylinder bolt torque or what the last torque page is measured in. I'm sure "goodntite" is fine, but being an Armorer in the military makes being meticulous second nature.

Okay are my eyes crossed? I assume you mean section 11, page 36. Unless I'm now blind, I don't see a torque value, just M5x20, which is the bolt size?

Gahhh!

I just went with gutentite. Its not horrifically high tech stuff. I dont know anyone who has ever used a torque wrench on a chainsaw.
Eh, I got a nice set of tools for 1911s , AR builds, shipboard weps, etc. Might as well use them as the same tools work foe chainsaws. Hell, my castlenut wrench works great for removing clutches!

Eh, I got a nice set of tools for 1911s , AR builds, shipboard weps, etc. Might as well use them as the same tools work foe chainsaws. Hell, my castlenut wrench works great for removing clutches!
Whatever works for you. Seems like an extra step you do not need. I did a similar build in the fall. Run the piss out of it. Never touched it with a torque wrench. Not a spot of trouble except for it idling low till I adjusted the carb.

Due for an update. I had planned on posting pics of my progress showing the work I've done, but I get so excited to wrench on it that I always forget to take pics.

I'll post a new pic of how it looks soon.

Anyway so far I got the new parts in, and it's running MUCH better. Put the new carb boot on, had to loosen the cylinder bolts a bit to get it on the intake horn. Got a used HD filter kit and threw that on too, and gutted the muffler and opened the hole up a bit while I was at it. Next I put the new clutch springs on (what a PIA) and painted the covers flat black.

All in all it's a proper saw, and I'm very happy with it. Got it tuned in the cut and it rips with the bar buried; very happy!

Next up is the PS7900 P&C, figure I'll get that in a few months. Gonna try my hand at porting when I get it...

I am! It's tricky to get tuned, but once I found the sweet spot it's a gorilla in the cut. Can't wait to see how it responds to bigger displacement.

My 7910's tune easy the big muffler mod helps hear it better too even though I have a tach on one of them.
Great running saws, you'll like it even more with the 7910 jug, but most people don't need anything bigger than around 65cc for firewood chores, but don't let that stop you :).

Back