SRT Technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what they use!
aaf_wink.gif

Originally posted by TREETX
Is this highschool. Who cares about popular?? Our game is about efficiency and safety. Save me time ($$) and energy ($$). I am all ears.

Please read entire post before quoting/commenting.

Originally posted by Nickrosis
If it wasn't a competitive technique, it wouldn't be used.

One thing I've found very effecient is to set your srt line with a running bowline and leave a 5' tail and tie on my chainsaw and pool saw and go up I can ascend 90' in less than a min and have my equipment waiting for me. also it is very useful when im making just a couple of cuts on the trunk, i leave the running bowline in and tie the tail into me with a buntline and put my figure 8 on and descend.

They use the Tautline.... I asked one climber what he used, since he didn't know what a tautline meant, I asked if he used "two under and two over"... He replied "no I Am a speed climber..... I use two under and one over"....
I showed another guy the open faced notch as he was in the process of falling a 30" oak spar, using a botched humboldt dutchman.... I had to cut the open face very deep to get past his cuts, and his saw wasn't cutting straight... Afterwards he thanked me and said how his trees always fall where he wants them..... A few days later he told me that a tree had hit the house 'cause the guy in the truck wasn't paying attention and didn't pull at the right time, though I suspect that he had cut a bypass (dutchman) in the notch and the hinge seized and finally failed....
Later that week I saw another climber removing a big oak topless... I met a bucket operator from Illinois that refused to wear a lanyard when aloft.... He was totally opposed to the idea, when I suggested that industry safety standards where in place based on studiesd of injuries and that if a log went the wrong way and bounced off his upper boom, it could fling him out of the bucket, like a pea off a spoon....
That is just the way it was down there.... Even the big companies working for FEMA, removing roadside brush, didn't wear hardhats of safety vests or use flags much.... That was surprising

Not to keep getting too far off the thread topic, but it's not just in Virginia that hardhats and harnesses aren't worn. I have yet to see any of our tree "service" (hacks) companies around here wear any of that stuff. The couple of good companies, yes, not a problem. I'm just waiting for somebody to fall or be the LZ....

Keep up the discussion on SRT though, I'm interested!

Dan

Congrats Lumberjack. You are probably the only 'high school age' climber to be working off of SRT. This site has really taught you alot huh? It's amazing how such a simplistic topic can get everyone's hanes in a wad, and wow, TREETX's direct hit at Nick, or Nickrosis, or whatever, da*m, relax. I'm done posting at this site, been here a 'lil while, but some of the attitudes here are gettin' old. Take care everybody, be safe. :)

I'm trying to remember that line in that Steven Sea-gull CIA movie where they are fixing to cut off that guys feet...

Hmm. Oh yeah.

Nah, ain't gonna say it.

Gonna think Zen thoughts... 150 year old Live Oaks..

Sharp saws..

Ommmmm. :)

Interesting attatchment, Nice way to get your rope up with you.

Having only a single tooth ascender may be a techinca problem.

Adding a lower ascender for self belay will add redundancy and hold you closer to the line, easing effort.

Sometimes I will just put a carabiner in at hip high if the ascent is clean. that will hold me close to the rope

Like JPS says, the more inline your body stays with the rope, the more effecient the climb will be.

I have found it is easier (for me at least) to take quick small steps when using the pantin.

theory

just chucking a few ideas round my head,

would using an ascender croll and pantin work, tree junkies pictures look really gear complex and slow to use,

i figured tie rope onto crotch, climb up and then work off a double rope system when in the canopy, using srt as an asscent method only (well to start with) figured this after watching my boss arse around thrusting up a ????? of a tree and it took him ages, it was beside a nasty fence and he was possitive that if he slipped and swung he would have dragged himself accross the spikes....

and after i abandon srt (attaching ascenders to the back of my harness) i can still use the pantin. on teh asscent taking the spliced eye up with a hitch on it

sound kosher?

jamie

Re: theory

Originally posted by jamie
just chucking a few ideas round my head,

would using an ascender croll and pantin work, tree junkies pictures look really gear complex and slow to use,

i figured tie rope onto crotch, climb up and then work off a double rope system when in the canopy, using srt as an asscent method only (well to start with) figured this after watching my boss arse around thrusting up a ????? of a tree and it took him ages, it was beside a nasty fence and he was possitive that if he slipped and swung he would have dragged himself accross the spikes....

and after i abandon srt (attaching ascenders to the back of my harness) i can still use the pantin. on teh asscent taking the spliced eye up with a hitch on it

sound kosher?

jamie

For ascending SRT i use a closed shell ascender, and the pantin. Many say that the ascender should be backed up, but I don't agree whole heartly. I think that handled, open ascenders should, but a closed shell?

As for using the pantin on DdRT, that is fine too. If you put a micro pulley, small biner, dog leash snap, under your friction hitch, then it would advance by its self.

Last edited:
Back