SS Electric

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job for a Leatherneck. I'm drooling all over my butts. :angry2:

I just ordered the 'new' DR 10 T Dual Split Electric ( $1368. lift gate delivered in March ) to replace a worn gas 22T and an abused tiny 5T electric. The electric SS 1HP was the first choice, butt SWMBO ordered the $$$ limit. I duly obey. :bowdown: The 1hp SS would have come to close to $3000. delivered (the maker in Mass is a good 6 hours south of us ).

Don't have the ability to hack like you did...some job ! Your SS looks new and shiny and clean ?

You got to name the beast. Any suggestions out there ?

Last edited:
Looks nice!!! A great modification.

But can I can offer some constructive criticism MNGuns ?

Please add a guard around the open belt and pulley - someone's coat, or little hands, or tail, or long hair could get caught in there while everyone else is focusing on the ram as 'the dangerous part', and ruin the whole day.

If someone else copies this, please use an exterior rated electrical box and cover. Even if you don't use it in the rain, the switch could be exposed to splashes, etc. while outside, being towed to a work area, etc. I am personally fond of these kinds of switches (photo) instead of light switches: twist and pull to switch 'ON', push (or smack!) to shut 'OFF'. Available at any electrical supply house, including in water resistant models.

Philbert

attachment.php

Nice job for a Leatherneck. I'm drooling all over my butts. :angry2:

I just ordered the 'new' DR 10 T Dual Split Electric ( $1368. lift gate delivered in March ) to replace a worn gas 22T and an abused tiny 5T electric. The electric SS 1HP was the first choice, butt SWMBO ordered the $$$ limit. I duly obey. :bowdown: The 1hp SS would have come to close to $3000. delivered (the maker in Mass is a good 6 hours south of us ).

Don't have the ability to hack like you did...some job ! Your SS looks new and shiny and clean ?

You got to name the beast. Any suggestions out there ?

Yep...sounds like you are a victim of the old FFLF..(Female Fun Limitation Factor), it usually applies to situations involving larger sums of money, fast cars, and faster women...;)

I've had my SS a couple of years. I store it indoors and wipe it down on occasion. For the money, you got to take care of your equipment.

Looks nice!!! A great modification.

But can I can offer some constructive criticism MNGuns ?

Please add a guard around the open belt and pulley - someone's coat, or little hands, or tail, or long hair could get caught in there while everyone else is focusing on the ram as 'the dangerous part', and ruin the whole day.

If someone else copies this, please use an exterior rated electrical box and cover. Even if you don't use it in the rain, the switch could be exposed to splashes, etc. while outside, being towed to a work area, etc. I am personally fond of these kinds of switches (photo) instead of light switches: twist and pull to switch 'ON', push (or smack!) to shut 'OFF'. Available at any electrical supply house, including in water resistant models.

Philbert

attachment.php

The guard is on my "to do list". I have to modify the original to make it work with the motor setup I have. The outdoor box is not a bad idea, and will be "taken into consideration"...;)

Yep...sounds like you are a victim of the old FFLF..(Female Fun Limitation Factor), it usually applies to situations involving larger sums of money, fast cars, and faster women...;)

I've had my SS a couple of years. I store it indoors and wipe it down on occasion. For the money, you got to take care of your equipment.

Sorry boy, there's other factors hereabouts than "...money, fast cars, and faster women." I can only handle one at a time in this life.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now about that name for your beast ............................? "RedBones" ?

Hp

Splitting without the engine noise would be fantastic!

What is the SF on the 1.5hp motor you installed?

The SF is a really interesting number as it relates to hp output under load.
I would think that half the hp of the gas motor would be the same out put on electric motor.

I can buy three SS, put them in a nice hangar type structure with an in feed, an out feed, a packager, and a forklift, easily for the cost of a processor.
And if ever one needs maintenance or breaks down, production doesn't grind to a halt, just drops a third :)

Do you have good, reliable labour to run 3 splitters? That would be the 'gotcha' in this cunning multi-SS plan. People get sick, hung over, pregnant, tired, make mistakes, answer back, get lazy, expect raises, find other jobs just after you've trained them up, start their own businesses just down the road from yours doing the same thing, etc. Is it just 3 x the headache?

Splitting without the engine noise would be fantastic!

What is the SF on the 1.5hp motor you installed?

The SF is a really interesting number as it relates to hp output under load.

I'm wondering how you know about Service Factor ?
I know electricians that don't know what that term means ? :msp_ohmy:

Or SFA for that matter or even frame size.

Confused about Electic Conversion Speeds

The RPM of the motor is 1750, the pulley size is 3.5" OD, the belt is a 71A. Paul was very generous in offering that information free of charge. I suppose a 1 Hp works fine as it is offered by SS. The majority of my splitting is done near my shop, and now in the shop ;), I have a couple of generators, any of which is easy enough to load were I to want to split "in the field". Even with a gas gen. you can put it a reasonable distance from you so as to keep the noise tolerable. I worked on the flight line when I was in the Corps, so I have had my fill of loud noise....Stihls being the exception..:D

First off let me say— thank God for the internet.

This being my first post— let me thank all of you that have offered/Shared truly priceless information to us all.

That said— I used a super split years ago for an elderly neighbor after he suffered from a stroke, and could not lift the logs himself.
I have always liked the exorcise and used a maul myself, however needing rotor cuff surgery for over a year now, put me in the market for one.

With the addition to the DR Replica… Yes — REPLICA— and they should have at least named it PAUL'S GIFT instead of Rapid fire, I trekked up the Factory store in NH, only to be told that I should grab one of the first modules before the revised were the only ones available, then was told I could be put on a waiting list for one.
The outright smugness and arrogance they display up there is not worthy of the path that super split has forged for them.

I would rather wait to find the elusive USED Super Split than Offer a dime to a Company that looks down its nose to it's customers-
And I did.
I found an old girl that was road hard and put away wet--- and leg-less I might add, from an abusive Mean and Nasty Contractor.

The good
He wanted $1500-- butI will take $500 if you can get it out of here, and you stop looking through my shop for the axle.
It appears to be a newer one- 6hp subaru- 2inch wide rack- table

The bad
Subaru missing the carb Linkage and spark – fixed with old motor on hand.
Missing – the engagement bolt and Needed various bearings and such — roughly $50 form Super Split

The ugly—
Missing one tooth on the rack –9th from the back— welding back on this weekend

-----The Long winded Question.
I really like the idea of the Electric motor, but the manual I got from Super split ($7.00 well spent)says--
Gas Engine— do not allow Flywheel speed to exceed 310rpm— motor 3000Rpm
Electric Pulley Diameter is not to exceed 3.25" at 1750

After some calculations—
the one I bought has a 1" Double Pulley(2 Belts) and 18" Flywheels MY CALCULATION= 200RPM at the fly wheel
Your electric motor with a 3.5" pulley and my 18 inch fly wheel is 342 RPM at the fly wheel
With a 3.25" pulley would be 316rpm at the fly wheel

Do I have the Wrong drive pulley on this thing?

Last edited:

This being my first post— let me thank all of you that have offered/Shared truly priceless information to us all.

That said— I used a super split years ago for an elderly neighbor after he suffered from a stroke, and could not lift the logs himself.
I have always liked the exorcise and used a maul myself, however needing rotor cuff surgery for over a year now, put me in the market for one.

With the addition to the DR Replica… Yes — REPLICA— and they should have at least named it PAUL'S GIFT instead of Rapid fire, I trekked up the Factory store in NH, only to be told that I should grab one of the first modules before the revised were the only ones available, then was told I could be put on a waiting list for one.
The outright smugness and arrogance they display up there is not worthy of the path that super split has forged for them.

I would rather wait to find the elusive USED Super Split than Offer a dime to a Company that looks down its nose to it's customers-
And I did.
I found an old girl that was road hard and put away wet--- and leg-less I might add, from an abusive Mean and Nasty Contractor.

The good
He wanted $1500-- butI will take $500 if you can get it out of here, and you stop looking through my shop for the axle.

The bad
Missing – the engagement bolt and Needed various bearings and such — roughly $50 form Super Split

The ugly—

I really like the idea of the Electric motor, but the manual I got from Super split ($7.00 well spent)says--

After some calculations—
the one I bought has a 1" Double Pulley(2 Belts) and 18" Flywheels MY CALCULATION= 200RPM at the fly wheel
Your electric motor with a 3.5" pulley and my 18 inch fly wheel is 342 RPM at the fly wheel

Congrats on the splitter. A little work and you'll be set.

That's the first negative experience I've heard from anyone who visited the SS shop, you must have not talked to Paul. I do know they are swamped with orders with all the DR and Speedpro advertising over the last year or so. Growing pains with new employees maybe?

The 1" double pulley will work for a lower rpm with the gas motor, seems like mine is 1.75" though, can't remember exactly? The 3.5" is used with a 1750 rpm electric motor, roughly half the rpm and double the pulley diameter, for roughly the same flywheel rpm.

Post pics and keep asking questions. We'll get it ironed out...

Last edited:
I have a factory built Electric SS, less than a year old. I'll check pully sizes when I get home tonight.

Also I think the comment about the rude visit was about a DR store, not a SuperSplit visit...

And I did.

The good

The bad

The ugly—

After some calculations—

I have a factory built Electric SS, less than a year old. I'll check pully sizes when I get home tonight.

Also I think the comment about the rude visit was about a DR store, not a SuperSplit visit...

That sure makes more sense!

Maybe I read his post wrong. I've been wrong before.

After re-reading, it does appear he was talking about the DR store.
I didn't know they had a store?

Last edited:
Super Split Rules

That sure makes more sense!

Maybe I read his post wrong. I've been wrong before.

After re-reading, it does appear he was talking about the DR store.
I didn't know they had a store?

I should have been much clearer.
I Cannot afford a new splitter, but wanted a flywheel.
After seeing a couple Speedco Hand grenades - that left Super Split and DR.
Financing and a free year trial made DR pretty attractive-- so I took a trip to the store in Merrimack, NH.
BAD IDEA.

Paul and his son at Super Split Have been GREAT in every way helping me get this ole girl on her feet.
I only hope some day I can repay the kindness Paul has shown.

Just finished converting my Super Split over to electric. Sure wish I ha done it sooner.

Cruised down to the local Tractor Supply this morning and picked up a 1.5 Hp Marathon farm rated motor. I guess farmers are harder on stuff than the rest of us yahoos..? Got a 7/8" hub and a 3.5" weld-a-pulley, some wiring supplies, a switch, and headed back to the shop. Took a couple of hours to get it done. Had to drill the mounting plate on the SS to match the motor, then run to town again for more hardware. I'm doing pretty god if I only have to make two trips to town to finish a project.

It's pretty nice to be splitting, in the shop, with no noisy gas engine running. Got the heat on, the radio on, and splitting away. I'm half tempted to run a conveyor out the back of the building...:D

OK Guys -- None of you told me the "Added Benefits" of Owning a Super Split.
Finally got the repairs done on the old used girl, and brought to a friend with 3 trees he dropped this summer when building his house. couple nice Oaks, and a nasty elm. Ended up with almost 6 cords.

Roughly Halfway through it, (about 2 hours -with 2 of us) an other friend showed up with a hydrolic beast.
A true Super split non believer.
After Turning him into a new believer-- he proceeded to cut the few huge-- (48+" rounds that we were going to noodle before lifting) and asked if we could do this.

It did with three of us lifting it--
But the morel of the story=
Tell your friends you have one-- I have a bunch of non believers that are dying to show me up.
It actually increased the production of the supersplit ...... with him trying his best to disprove the machine-- he split a cord and a half for free-- and most of the big rounds.

God I love this machine.

What all did you finally have to replace? Did you get everything from Paul, ie new correct parts? I still haven't pulled the pin, but getting closer to parting with $3k.

Latest posts

Back