Stacking wood (pic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Farmerbuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well its 4:50 this morning and kind of bored so I thought i'd post a pic of my wood and see what kind it is for sure. I know its elm, but is it american or what?
My 2x4 rack is 4' tall so i just scoot it out 8' from the wall and it makes a face cord.
Firstpics186.jpg

Definately not American Elm with nice clean splits like that. American isn't that strait grained.

I;ve an elm farm on my place, chinese--small leaves, splits easy, very dark when fresh, I think thats what you have there.

Haven't had anyone point out red elm to me yet, so I can't comment on it, hear lots of good things about it though. Would like to see a clear pic of it leafed, bark, and split, if anyone has one. (for dial-up)

American elm is the larger leaf, 3" long, stringy, stringy criss-cross grain, lots of strength, many good uses, but a little squirrely to work with.

I have split tons of chinese elm. I rarely have it split as nicely as you have there though, I have a hatchet nearby to cut the strings off while it is in the splitter. But you may just have some really straight grain chinese elm.:cheers:

Red elm. One of the best firewood species you can burn. May be getting a bit scarce. Burns hot and completely to a powdered ash. Lights easily.

Hard as nails when dry, I have tried with little success to make furniture pieces using it. Even after drying, it will move on you and suddenly a straight piece becomes warped and cupped.

I have made a couple of axe handles out of it. The stuff is tough, no question about it. My table saw groans and moans when I try to rip it. Turning it on the lathe is no picnic either.

That's American Elm. I've split tons and tons of the stuff, if it's dry and straight it can be easy to split, but most of the time it's stringy and a pain to split. It's real hard almost as hard a Hickory, it also burns very clean. With that said it has much less heat value than most other hard woods.

Last edited:
Thanks. Everyone around here says all that grows here is american or chineese. I dont know but it sure splits nice if its good and dry.
Any more votes?

Id say its American as dark as it is. Chineese elm spits sap all over everything its a nasty tree we hate them but they burn great its our local hardwood! :)

In the last pic the bark looks a little bit more like Rock Elm, but the tree has been dead for so long it's hard to tell from the bark. The leaves look like American Elm (Ulmus americana). Are the leaves stiff, do they feel rough like sandpaper?

In the last pic the bark looks a little bit more like Rock Elm, but the tree has been dead for so long it's hard to tell from the bark. The leaves look like American Elm (Ulmus americana). Are the leaves stiff, do they feel rough like sandpaper?
They are so dry the they break if i get too rough with them. I'll check them tomorrow for the roughness. I sure appreciate everyones opinions. I might have to wait till spring and get new green leaves and post a pic.

Well i checked the leaves yesterday. They arent rough at all.

Latest posts

Back