Stacking wood (pic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure not chinese elm. dunno after that. I would like to have a pile of that fine looking wood!

looks like siberian elms to me....also known as piss elm around here.

chinese is aka lacebark. many people mix siberian and chinese, calling the sib a chinese.

tree does not look anything like an american.

Thanks guys. It really isnt too bad of wood. I know it isnt anything like oak but if its all you have, it'll have to do. I came up with some locust to go with it and it seems to be a good mixture.

looks like siberian elms to me....also known as piss elm around here.

chinese is aka lacebark. many people mix siberian and chinese, calling the sib a chinese.

tree does not look anything like an american.
i asked a few farmers around here and they all said the only elm around here is american and chinese. No piss elm around here but farther south like southern Ks or oklahoma you will find it.

like i said, most people, old farmers especially, think siberian is chinese. its not. The following come from wikipedia, the free encyclopedia online.

Ulmus parvifolia Jacq., the Chinese Elm, is a species of elm native to China, Japan, North Korea and Vietnam. [1] It is a small to medium-sized deciduous, semi-deciduous (rarely semi-evergreen) tree growing to 10-18 m tall with a slender trunk and crown. The leathery, lustrous green single-toothed leaves are small, 2-5 cm long by 1-3 cm broad, and often retained as late as December or even January in Europe and North America. The flowers are produced in early autumn, small and inconspicuous, with the seed maturing rapidly and dispersing by late autumn. The trunk has a handsome, flaking bark of mottled greys with tans and reds, giving rise to its other common name, the Lacebark Elm, although scarring from major branch loss can lead to large canker-like wounds

Ulmus pumila L., the Siberian Elm, is native to Turkestan, eastern Siberia, Mongolia, Xizang (Tibet), northern China, India (northern Kashmir) and Korea [1]. It is also known as the Asiatic Elm, Dwarf Elm and (erroneously) Chinese Elm. The tree has also been widely cultivated throughout Asia, North America and, to a lesser extent, southern Europe. It is usually a small to medium-sized, often bushy, tree growing to 10 - 20 m tall, with a trunk up to 80 cm d.b.h. The leaves are deciduous in cold areas, but semi-evergreen in warmer climates, < 7 cm long and < 3 cm broad, with an oblique base and a coarsely serrated margin, changing from dark green to yellow in autumn. The wind-dispersed fruit develops in a flat, oval membranous wing :)samara) 1 - 1.5 cm long and notched at the outer end [2] [3] [4]. The tree is shortlived in temperate climates, rarely reaching more than 60 years of age, but in its native environment may live to between 100 and 150 years. In North America it has become an invasive species from Utah east to Kansas

Last edited:
here are pics of the barks of both trees (chinese (lacebark) and siberian) .

first the chinese (lacebark)

attachment.php

now the siberian (piss elm)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back