Standard carb ms261 back again ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That saw is just fine like it is.

I'm going to source one for me to go along with my "Bulky" 261 non cm.

Thank You for talking horribly about them: hopefully I will be able to find one without much trouble.

Please forgive Saw Troll for always being grumpy when it comes too the 261.

It's really cold where he lives, and it makes his knee's hurt....Plus all the hot chicks live down South in Oslo.

Did we ever get to the bottom of exactly where all the weight savings have come from? Have they shaved it off anywhere critical that makes anyone worry about longevity?

Please forgive Saw Troll for always being grumpy when it comes too the 261.

It's really cold where he lives, and it makes his knee's hurt....Plus all the hot chicks live down South in Oslo.

Not quite true - my late wife (SawWitch on here as long as she lived) was a "hot chick", that ran chainsaws - and she was from up here.

That aside, I went to a Stihl sales outlet (there no longer are real Stihl dealers around here) a few weeks ago, and handled the new 261 and the 241 a little - and they obviously still suffered from the inboard clutch design and bulk.

Also, the new clutch covers, that account for most of the weight reduction of the new versions of the 261 and 362, already have been reported to not clamp the bar in place properly - but so far I have no idea how serious the issue is. They reduced the thickness of a part that already was light, and I doubt the shape of the new one is very conductive to chip and noodle transport - time will tell---

Also, I have no idea if the reduced cooling fin area (that accounts for the rest of the weight reduction) means.

Hey ST,

I was just having a little fun. I'm sure Mrs. ST was a wonderful person!

I haven't noticed the "bulk" issue you mention. That's probably because I haven't picked up, or really considered any of the smaller cc Huskys. There seems to be quite a few people who don't care much for the Newer Xtorque design. So much so, I wrote off Husky all together until someone recently mentioned their larger models were not Xtorque models. This has had an effect on my decision making for a larger cc model. I'm currently trying to decide between a 661 cm, 390xp, or 395xp.

Now that Stihl has been able to drop the 261 into the 10lb range it has been my lead choice for the 50cc range. I'm just trying to figure out if I should go with the Mtronic or adjustable carb model.

I've seen you mention the inboard clutch design as being a problem. I'm assuming it would be a heat issue that concerns you, maybe its contribution to the saws bulk, or both? Will you please explain? I thought a outboard clutch was a means of saving money for the manufacturer. I always felt they were a little extra trouble when it came to chain and sprocket replacement to be honest.

I haven't heard about the new cover not clamping down the bar in place properly yet. I really hope that's not the case because that could be a real deal breaker.

Thanks,

-Pat

Hey ST,

I was just having a little fun. I'm sure Mrs. ST was a wonderful person!

I haven't noticed the "bulk" issue you mention. That's probably because I haven't picked up, or really considered any of the smaller cc Huskys. There seems to be quite a few people who don't care much for the Newer Xtorque design. So much so, I wrote off Husky all together until someone recently mentioned their larger models were not Xtorque models. This has had an effect on my decision making for a larger cc model. I'm currently trying to decide between a 661 cm, 390xp, or 395xp.

Now, there isn't much new about the x-torq, it just is Huskys name on "strato" saws, that has been around for over a decade by now. Actually Stihl only can use M-thronic (which is a version of the early Husky Autotune) and reportedly some Husky owned "strato" patents just because Husky lets them do it (I assume there are royalties involved, but don't know it as a fact).

Regarding the saws you list, the 661 is a "strato" (x- torq) - the 390 and particularly the 395 are much older designs, that are not.

All I can say about the 661 is that the specs are impressive, but the model has had a very troubled start on its "career" - like being called back etc. I am no expert though, just going by what I have read (in this case). I understand it is bad enough to have moved many PNW loggers from Stihl to Husky in the 90cc class.

Now, there isn't much new about the x-torq, it just is Huskys name on "strato" saws, that has been around for over a decade by now. Actually Stihl only can use M-thronic (which is a version of the early Husky Autotune) and reportedly some Husky owned "strato" patents just because Husky lets them do it (I assume there are royalties involved, but don't know it as a fact).

Regarding the saws you list, the 661 is a "strato" (x- torq) - the 390 and particularly the 395 are much older designs, that are not.

All I can say about the 661 is that the specs are impressive, but the model has had a very troubled start on its "career" - like being called back etc. I am no expert though, just going by what I have read (in this case). I understand it is bad enough to have moved many PNW loggers from Stihl to Husky in the 90cc class.

Thanks For the reply ST, I appreciate it.

Can you please explain what "Strato" means?

I've seen you mention the inboard clutch design as being a problem. I'm assuming it would be a heat issue that concerns you, maybe its contribution to the saws bulk, or both? Will you please explain? I thought a outboard clutch was a means of saving money for the manufacturer. I always felt they were a little extra trouble when it came to chain and sprocket replacement to be honest.

The main issue with the inboard is how it affects the saws handling by itself, by pushing the bar further away from the center of gravity - but it usually is combined with a more clumsy design in general as well. Surely you can save a few seconds on a chain or sprocket change with an inboard, but is it really worth it when the saw is more clumsy all the time?

Then, you don't need any special tools to remove the outboard from a fairly modern Husky, just a drift of some sort and something to hit it with - no piston stop or other special tools needed.

Then there are the mechanical advantages with the outboard, like less stress on the crank and PTO side crank bearing + better heat dispersion.

The main issue with the inboard is how it affects the saws handling by itself, by pushing the bar further away from the center of gravity - but it usually is combined with a more clumsy design in general as well. Surely you can save a few seconds on a chain or sprocket change with an inboard, but is it really worth it when the saw is more clumsy all the time?

Then, you don't need any special tools to remove the outboard from a fairly modern Husky, just a drift of some sort and something to hit it with - no piston stop or other special tools needed.

I see. I think I will have to compare, and see how it feels.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm guessing the longer/heavier the bar, the more noticeable the difference is?

I see. I think I will have to compare, and see how it feels.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm guessing the longer/heavier the bar, the more noticeable the difference is?

Surely with an heavier one, but bar length actually reduces the effect a little, as the angles change - provided bar weight is the same. It seldom is, but I have seen it demonstrated on an 056 mag (outboard) vs a MS660 (inboard).

Saw it on the site this morning ?

Back for another run ?
I just purchased one in mid July with a 20" bar with adjustable carb 2016 model il see if I can get some pics I had it on chainsaw repair on facebook accidentally deleted post grat saw

seems to me while an outboard clutch might offer some advantage in handling, it also means in a kickback, the bar is closer to the sawyer's head.

Back