Started my splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric K

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
067.jpg 058.jpg I have been wanting to build a splitter now for over a year now. So I started collecting pieces and parts. I have most of the components now. So here begins yet another splitter build. I will try to update this thread often with new pics as I get things machined, fabricated and welded. Suggestions welcome as I have never built a splitter before.

069.jpg Ground out relief for welding mini wedge. My thoughts on the small wedge are it will keep log from slipping and initiate split before log hits main wedge.
063.jpgPlated end of beam with a piece of 3/4". Ground in v-relief for weld penetration and ground smooth for wedge to be welded on.
073.jpgWedge welded on. Triple passed for strength. The wedge is 15" tall and the plate tacked to the back is for the sides of the wedge to weld to.
074.jpg Welding plate to the back of the wedge. First of three passes per side.

Thanks for the replies and likes Jakers, wndwlkr, and greasemnky. I forgot to mention the beam I am using is a W8 40lbs a foot flanges are near 5/8" and webb is 1/2". Almost went bigger but with some gussets and plating it should do the trick. I hope.

Looks real good Eric. Are ya thinking about a log lift & work platform ? I like your wedge design.

the beam is plenty heavy, i used the same beam... but i would be much more worried about ripping that wedge right off the beam! whats it about 14-16" tall? and only 6" deep? it should be atleast somewhat close to the same depth and height!! with that much height and nothing backing it you will definetly rip that wedge along with the chunk of the flange off...
if you had cut a slot in that beam and dropped the wedge "through" the beam that would have been fine , but not just welded to the flange...

I didn't think of slotting beam until wedge was all welded. Go figure. I will post some more pics tonight. I am pretty far into the wedge end and backing up would be pretty much a pain.

better to get it right now, then when its all done and painted...
mines 14" tall and 11" deep, i hard faced the cutting edge then ground it sharp, when i get a big knotty log on it, it will flex the beam a bit, i measured deflection and its only about .050" over 8ft and thats stalling the cylinder @ 3000psi, and it just springs back, i had a thread on here but it seems to have vanished...?
thinking you might not have that issue since you have that little starter wedge but your wedge is an inch taller than mine, so who knows?

Agreed it is better to back up now than later. I will post pictures of the surgery.

Instead of cutting the wedge off you could back it up with another piece and weld that piece all the way down to the bottom of the beam.
Either way it looks like you're going to have a nice splitter.
dave

076.jpg Triple pass on inside of back plate to wedge.
077.jpg Upright picture of back plate to wedge.
079.jpg Side plates on tacked on.
080.jpg Pic from the front.
081.jpg Welding out the back plate to the side plates and sides to the wedge. LOL say that 3 times fast.
086.jpg All welded out.
087.jpg Mostly benched in. Starting to take shape.

Thanks Nathon I am using 75/25 argon/co2. Those welds should be burned in they were welded at 275 amps and 28-29 volts. Sizzling lol.

Back