Sthil 028av wood boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it all worked out and your happy. Now the seach continuse for the next saw.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

There are numbers stamped on chain to decipher what it is. Harley is correct, that tooth
did battle with something other than wood.

I have four of these Stihl 28 Wood Boss saws. They all run perfectly. It's the saw that Stihl should never have discontinued. Not even SawTroll can explain that decision and nobody else can either.

BTW, an 18" bar is ideal for an 028 Super.

16" o.325 is what works good on mine.

If you pop the rim sprocket off it should marked for pitch. You are lucky as many came with spur sprockets.
Just googled rim and spur sprocket...guess what website popped up? Hahaha! Wealth of knowledge here. I'll tinker with that tomorrow and maybe do a muffler mod while I'm in the shop. I'm getting some fuel spray out of carb when air filter is removed,gonna mess with H,L and LA screws some and get running better/less smoke at wot.

I also noticed I'm missing a muffler screw that holds the outer half on the crankcase. Anybody got one of them they'd part with?

I can foresee this being an addicting hobby...

Edit: Forget to add I talked the seller down to $150. So I'm happy.

Just googled rim and spur sprocket...guess what website popped up? Hahaha! Wealth of knowledge here. I'll tinker with that tomorrow and maybe do a muffler mod while I'm in the shop. I'm getting some fuel spray out of carb when air filter is removed,gonna mess with H,L and LA screws some and get running better/less smoke at wot.

I also noticed I'm missing a muffler screw that holds the outer half on the crankcase. Anybody got one of them they'd part with?

I forgot, Welcome to the forum.

There are some good threads on carb tuning by ear, some have videos too.

You talked him down to $150? That's remarkable, especially since it's a running saw. Yes, it is an addicting hobby. That's a T27 - M5 x 18 metric machine screw that holds that muffler on. I suggest that you get several of these for your arsenal.

Got this running great! Talking to a guy at work he's got a 026 not running. Doesn't know much about it other than "it don't run". I'd be dumb to pass it up for $50 right?

He's got an older husky in a poulan case that "don't run either" the model escapes me at the moment. Wants $50 for it too.

Got this running great! Talking to a guy at work he's got a 026 not running. Doesn't know much about it other than "it don't run". I'd be dumb to pass it up for $50 right?

He's got an older husky in a poulan case that "don't run either" the model escapes me at the moment. Wants $50 for it too.
Ya sounds like a good deal for both. The 026 probly has a fixed high speed jet like mine and ya wont be able to mod unless ya upgrade carb. I wanna open my exhaust so gonna get the new carb in the new year.

The 026 is another great stihl saw well worth getting and fixing. Early models had fully adjustable carbs which is very nice, the later ones came in standard and pro trim. The pros had adjustable oilers, decomp, and compinsating carb. 50 dollars for one is a steal even if it needs a P/C. They are good running saws and with a muffler mod realy wake up. I have had both a 028 woodboss and 026 and the 026 is the stronger of the two.

Ya sounds like a good deal for both. The 026 probly has a fixed high speed jet like mine and ya wont be able to mod unless ya upgrade carb. I wanna open my exhaust so gonna get the new carb in the new year.

I'll have to checkout the carb. And I'll get the model of the husky and snap a few pics too.

Well the 028 took about 10 pulls to crank today. Was about 60-65* in the shop. Finally started with full choke. Did some H and L turning and a bit of LA to get the chain to stop/barely move at idle. Am I where I need to be? without sticking her in some wood?

Thought I had her good,but not apparently. Lol.

f4ada506374a40acc7fd781c0ff599e3.jpg

9f78d602cf407cbfe117438b4d517f2d.jpg

a79de392c48affd4a98faf4bd6b4048f.jpg

4e3695db946545915f51e2c7d0575c5d.jpg

I think I got lucky. Has H and L screws on the carb.

That is a great buy, It is an early model. They are a great saw, with I had not sold mine. Looks like it needs a good cleaning, if it has good P/C and just needs cleaned up to make it run for 50 bucks I think that may just qualify you for the you suck thread.

Heck of a deal. Good find specially with the high low adjustment. Should make a good saw for ya.

P/C look great. Oiler is working. And plug was a nice brownish tint. Got her running with the PO gas that was in it. I think it's a bit rich as its smoking a lot right off idle. L screw is 1 1/8-1 1/4 out. H sounded good from start. Think it's idling a bit high. Boot has pin holes or is loose maybe? Either way,I'm happy with my $50 purchase.

Back