Stihl 019t allergic to wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in the process of repairing an Stihl 019 T. If anyone has worked on them before they know how good you get at taking them apart and putting them back together because you forgot to do something. I got the saw in a box from the local Stihl dealer after they charged the guy 40.00 to tell him his saw was junk. He asked if I could bring it back to life. Like an idiot I said sure. I replaced the seals and ring and put it all back together (a few times). I rebuilt and cleaned the carb. This is the Zama with the L adjustment screw only. Saw starts and idles fine. Accelerates crappy at the 1 1/4 turns out on the L screw. About 3 turns out it picks up better and goes up through the rpms. Now when you just touch a piece of wood with the chain it spits and sputters like its allergic to the wood and eventually stalls out. Strts up fine and idles fine again. I feel like I need to adjust the H speed screw if it had one. Any suggestions cause I don't want to pull this saw apart 5 more times just to take the carb off. I may just order the Walbro WT carb with the H adjustment on it.
You know when an 019T works they are a good saw but also makes me happy I own a 200T and I am not selling it so stay back.......

Thats not a problem becuase the Stihl dealer lost all that before it got to me in the mystery box of parts. I had to order the owner a muffler deflector from a different Stihl dealer.
Started it up tonight. It bogged down till it warmed up and ran fine even in the cut. The L setting is still about 3 turns out. I am wondering if it was sucking air around the fuel line inlet to the carb. I didnt replace that and wishing i would have when I had it apart.

I had one that was in similar situation at a repair shop and bought it cheap even after hearing all the negative on here about it....

Big friggin deal, wasn't any harder to take apart, just different for sure...

Mine had a WT carb that I rebuilt and it tuned out well when I put it to wood and turned it.

I sold it to a guy using 193T's and he said my 019T had more power.

My $.02.... Buy a WT WALBRO for it with an H needle

No I know they cant work for free but if you are a loyal customer there should be some better treatment. I guess I am to nice to a customer. I couldn't hand them a box of parts and say oh yea here is the bill. Another thing is that I have worked on more than one saw from this dealer that claimed it was not fixable and the saw was just in pieces. Nothing wrong with it other than in a box in pieces knowing all to well the customer cant put it back together hoping they walk over to the sales counter to buy a new saw.
I did run the 019 last night in a 22 in tulip poplar. it cut and ran very well. Stall occasionally after the cut but start right back up again. Now I know that saw isn't designed for that size wood but I needed to put some fuel through it. Honestly they are a strong saw for there cc size.

I bought about 12 saws so far from an old Stihl authorized repair shop..... They were very similar....

People were told the same basic thing on all of these.... They are all junk, but a new one... Got charged $35 to assess the saws and the people left them at the shop as junk....

I have fixed all but two so far with simple cleanup, carb rebuilds, and basic simple maintenance....

One was even in their trash pile and I never found anything wrong with it at all.....

I think the cat muffler was so restrictive and the carb limiters set wrong so the saw was a turd.... Cut the junk out of the muffler and cut the limiters and it was a good runner

Yea its hard for me to talk to bad about them becuase they supply me with there unrepairable saws. Which in turn makes me more money on the rebuild and sale of the saw. But I still feel bad for the person that is not getting a fair shake from a real Stihl dealer.

I had one that was in similar situation at a repair shop and bought it cheap even after hearing all the negative on here about it....

Big friggin deal, wasn't any harder to take apart, just different for sure...

Mine had a WT carb that I rebuilt and it tuned out well when I put it to wood and turned it.

I sold it to a guy using 193T's and he said my 019T had more power.

My $.02.... Buy a WT WALBRO for it with an H needle
Which WT might this be? I am ready to put one on a 019T.

Fixed jets tend to clog up on these little Stihls... I have not worked on an 019T but the carbs I had so far all featured a brass orifice plug in the carb below the metering diaphragm that can be removed for cleaning using a small slotted screwdriver. I use fine nylon fishing line to remove debris stuck in the orifice.

Latest posts

Back