Stihl 025 is cutting to the left, even with a new chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamedic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Stihl 025 that I bought in 2002 is cutting to the left. I can't make it cut straight no matter what I do. My sharpening skills are pretty good, so I don't think I messed up the chain. I attempted to resharpen a few times and could never make a difference in the cut so I bought a new chain from the Stihl dealer. For about 5 minutes the new chain seemed to cut straight, but then went right back to veering left. The bar is straight and I can see no damage to it anywhere. The bar end sprocket is smooth. Another problem that just appeared is the clutch seems to be releasing way to easy after the saw gets hot. Just moderate pressure and the clutch releases and brings the chain to a stop. Cutting just one piece of wood takes three times as long as it should. I don't know it the two problems could be related. I really don't see how they could be. The saw has seen heavy use for a saw of that size, but the motor still runs great. I would hate to have to buy a new bar and a clutch.just to rule out the problems. Do you guys have any ideas what the problem could be?

yes,
check your bar rails for flair---------------- file that off/smooth and go cut wood...

+1

Also, check to see what type of play the chain has in the bar. It is possible that the rails have spread allowing the chain to lay to one side as you put downward pressure on the bar.

After you clean the rough on the edges of the bar put a small square on it and make sure the rails are the same height.
Also sometimes flipping the bar over will make a difference.
If you have not replaced the sprocket look at that. I change mine about every two chains and they usually need it by then.

With heavy use, if you have never replaced the bar, do so, and then try it with a new chain. Usually if a bar rail is going to wear down, it's the right side that wears faster, and the saw should curve to the right. But I agree with the others that if the rails have spread open, it could go either way.

You do have the correct gauge chain for the bar, right?

A worn sprocket will cause all types of problems. It will cause binding and cutting issues. Dressing and flipping the bar is a good suggestion also. It's all a process of elimination.

I filed the flair off and flipped the bar. It made no difference it is still cutting to the left. The bar has a dent in it about 3 inches back from the sprocket, in the center of the bar more or less. I didn't see it the first time. The rails are not flaired out or pinched anywhere. I havn't checked to see it they are square yet. I don't know if the dent is the problem, but I think I will buy a new bar. It has never been replaced that I can remember.

I filed the flair off and flipped the bar. It made no difference it is still cutting to the left. The bar has a dent in it about 3 inches back from the sprocket, in the center of the bar more or less. I didn't see it the first time. The rails are not flaired out or pinched anywhere. I havn't checked to see it they are square yet. I don't know if the dent is the problem, but I think I will buy a new bar. It has never been replaced that I can remember.

Looks like you found the problem with the cutting to the left problem. When the bar got dented it probably got twisted at the same time. Let us know how it cuts after you replace it.

Take a good look at the clutch shoes. I think that they may be worn if the chain is stopping in the cut. Is the clutch drum getting blue from running too hot?

I took the bar off again and put a square on it. The rails are square to each other, but the square showed that on the other side of the bar oppisite the dent is a significant hump. The sprocket also has a lot of side to side play. I'm going to buy a new bar. I can get a oem bar at the dealer or would there be any benifit to buying a bar from someone like Baileys. The saw runs good I want to put a good bar back on it.

I took the bar off again and put a square on it. The rails are square to each other, but the square showed that on the other side of the bar oppisite the dent is a significant hump. The sprocket also has a lot of side to side play. I'm going to buy a new bar. I can get a oem bar at the dealer or would there be any benifit to buying a bar from someone like Baileys. The saw runs good I want to put a good bar back on it.

That's it. Your bar is bent. Last time I checked, there were really good deals on carlton bars at Bailey's. I have one and am pretty happy with it.

Back