Stihl 026 acting odd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockjock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 026 that i acting a tad odd. Starts up perfect and idle is great but from time to time after I finish a cut and move the saw to make the next cut it will not accelerate, trigger pulled it just acts like it is idling. Blip the trigger a few times and it is back again very strong in the cut.. then fine for several cuts then it does it again.. Any clues gents?

Dirty fuel, change the filter, small particles getting stuck in the carb maybe.
I will check that as well, the fuel is good and I think the filter is as well but I have some new filters I can swap out. I will try that as well.

Does it take a extra few seconds to slow down RPM after the cut? Or you have to trigger it several times before it catches up? If the later, needs a carb kit probably.
seems to rev down just fine, I just did a kit on it. What I did change was the throttle linkage for a spare one. I will check that as well

Gentlemen thank you all for your advice! The throttle linkage lacked pressure to stay put AND the choke flap spring was weak! Filter changed and linkage adjusted and it feel much better. I put the saw in my vice so I could get a good look and without the saw running I was playing with the throttle and it just went dead ( carb buttery did not open ) so I took off the air filter and checked the choke flap and it was very weak... See THIS is why this place is awesome! People take a moment to help someone out and in the end a saw is up and running and we all get along. Thanks to all again!

Latest posts

Back